Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #1  

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 8404 or DK 40 Kioti
I have a DK40 and have had no issue with the it in fact i consider it a step up from the mechanical pto. So now its time i was considering adding a second Kioti to my pack and was looking at the DK55 because of its larger size and comes standard with 2 sets of rear hydro remotes but then is see it uses a mechanical engaged PTO so whats up with this?? Im stepping up to a better,stronger more expensive Kioti but it leave out the Hydrauic PTO? why?

this is not a deal breaker but i does raise questions on which is the best set up for larger tractors. anyone know why KIoti did this with the DK55

you can clearly see the mechanical linkage for engaging the PTO in this pict. and the very usefull 2 sets of remotes

Attachments

• dk55 PTO.jpg
    dk55 PTO.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,185
   / Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #2  
There is generally a big HP advantage with the gear vs hydraulic PTO. Normally the gear PTOs develop nearly all the engine HP at the PTO. Some of the larger tractors have higer HP ratings at the PTO than drawbar HP. Hydraulics will have more loss and will require a large pump to drive a high HP PTO. Also an oil cooler will be required for high HP hydraulic PTOs. An advantage of the hydraulic is, they are sometimes reversible and are somewhat easier on shearpins. Surplus Center (tractor bynet advertiser) offers a add on hydraulic PTO complete with motor and a correct PTO spline.

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #3  
The "hydraulic" PTO on Kioti and most other tractors is simply an electro/hydraulic clutch to start and stop the shaft which is directly driven by the tractor flywheel (other than the gears used to match PTO speed on the engine to 540 on the PTO shaft. It is not turned hydraulically.

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #4  
the ones that are switched on by a solniod have been none to engage ruff and sheer the pins if you have that set up on your bush hog. With a manual you can feather it in. I love manual pto engagement. But it is getting harder and harder to find but most big tractors75-140 or so still have manual pto engaement.

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #5  
I have a dk55 and the pto is push button engaged, electro/hydraulic clutch. It's worked well so far and the engagement is very smooth but I don't run a brush hog. It works well with my snowblower.
Scott

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical
I guess i am wrong about the 55s PTO.

Bellcon, what is the linkage on the left side of the PTO? the one in the picture

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #7  
Sorry I thought you were dealing with a hydraulic PTO vs. hydraulic clutch. I have a skid steer and probably should keep out of tractor discussions.

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical
OK the DK 55 does have electric over hydraulic clutch in the PTO and im now guessing that the lever linkage on the left side of the PTO must be the switch between 540 rpms and 1000rpms. Im likeing this tractor better now

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #9  
I think you are right. I believe it's the linkage that switched the pto speed but I would have to look to be sure.
Scott

/ Hydraulic PTO vs Mechanical #10  
I have a dk55, and that is a push button pto engagement. it can be harsh on shredder engagement. but has worked well for me. The connection would be to the 2 speed pto, as it has a 540 and a 1000 rpm position under the left foot in the cab. i use the 1000 on light mowing at reduced rpms sometimes.