Rolled the dice on a DK40

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #1  

nch18

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some opinions on my recent purchase. I've been looking for a good 30-40hp used tractor for about a month now and have been scouring craigslist and going to auctions because I can't afford to buy new at that size.

As a disclaimer, when I say scouring craigslist, I'm talking meta-searching all locations in a 250 mile radius on a continuous 10 minute loop for over 3 weeks with an alert anytime something new pops up. My thinking being that anything that was a good enough deal for me to afford wouldn't last more than an hour or two.

So an ad came up for a DK40 that seemed too good to be true. It's a 2002 with 600 hours, FEL, 8x8 gear trans, canopy, ag tires, 4x4, basically everything I was looked for, for $5,500. So I call the guy and apparently he just bought 100+ acres of land and there were a couple of tractors in one of the barns that he's clearing out. So I ask him what's wrong with the Kioti and he says it's smoking and leaking some oil from the blow by tube but everything works fine. I'm skeptical but ask him about the other tractor and he tells me it's a JD 1250 with nothing wrong with it and a new clutch and tires and his asking price is at least $4-5k under market value for that one. So maybe he really is just clearing stuff out and doesn't need to get everything he could out of these money-wise.

So I go out to look at it. It's not in great shape (canopy's cracked, one of the front headlights is broken) but hey, it's a tractor. Sheet metal looks good, no obvious signs of an accident or anything bent, cracked, or out of alignment that I can see. Overall, I'd say it looks slightly rougher than your average 10 year old tractor (but then again, most of the used tractor's I've been looking at were at dealers where they've been prettied up some). Everything runs fine, it starts up immediately. I have no experience with the new generation of tractors but I couldn't notice any loss of power. It was clearly smoking pretty good though and I could see a bunch of old oil crud around the blow by drain tube thing. All the hydraulics seemed to work well, FEL and hitch. He said he ran it for a few hours over the last month since he bought the place and it hadn't used enough oil for him to be able to tell on the dip. When I pulled the dip the oil looked brand new though.

He told me a friend of his that's a mechanic told him a ring job would get it right. An old farmer who was there to look at it after me was talking to his buddy and I heard him say the same thing about the rings. Couple things about that bother me though. For one, I've heard that if you're going to open it up to do the rings, 9 times out of 10 you're best off just doing a full rebuild or at least things tend to spiral in that direction. And second, what could have gone wrong in 600 hours where it would need to be rebuilt and is this just a lemon that I should have stayed clear of?

Anyway, really long story longer, there were multiple people coming to look at it after me (and one already arrived) so I knew I had one shot at it, and the guy offered to deliver it for free so I pulled the trigger.

So I just wanted to see what you folks thought about all this. One guy I know recommeded that if it's running good I should just use it til I see a noticeable drop in performance and then get it fully rebuilt. Will that not just do more damage in the long run though? I'm ok with working on cars but this is my first tractor so I'm not as familiar with repairs and frankly not really qualified to have made an informed purchase. But at the same time this thing's worth what, like $14k+ without any issues? So I figured I had a lot of wiggle room and even with a full rebuild would come out way ahead.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this? Should I just use it til something goes wronger? Get it rebuilt? Sell if for scrap metal cause I just got played?

Thanks!

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #2  
Short of running the tractor with no air filter, a severely plugged air filter, a leaking intake hose or running the engine without oil I can't imagine way the rings would be out at 600 hours.
Does the hour meter work? Could it have a lot more than 600 hours

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #3  
I agree with Vince. 600 hours on a diesel isn't much and the rings shouldn't be gone unless the engine sucked in a lot of dirt. I know gas engines that sit can have the oil rings get gummed up. I'm not sure about diesels. If it's smoking that much, you'd think it would be using oil. Like you said, you have wiggle room. If and when you do a rebuild, you might want to check on a new engine instead. Sometimes it can be cheaper. I'd run it for a while and see how things go. Other than adding a little oil now and then, I don't think you can hurt the engine any worse. Sometimes people do unplug the hour meter!

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40
Hmm, I guess there's no way to know if the hour meter's been working its whole life or was unplugged in the past but it's definitely working now. Everything would make a lot more sense if it had a couple thousand hours though.

It's getting delivered tomorrow so I'll use it this weekend and report back on anything new I find. I've got a real good diesel mechanic up the road who can look it over for me next week but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do anything stupid by using it as is for a few days.

Thanks guys!

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #5  
I'll admit that the story sounds funny. but, assuming it started and went in gear I probably would have snapped it for that price. Seems hard to loose money it it turned out to have problems.

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #6  
Well, I don't think you scored a bargain but I also don't think you got stuck with a clunker. I think you paid retail and it's probably about right for what you're getting, assuming of course that the mechanicals are good.
Busted sheet metal and fiberglass are easily repaired.
Run it, use it and maybe in the future you will be better situated to buy either a new or a newer tractor. Maybe you can even sell it for what you paid given inflation and regular maintenance.
I'd change the oil and all the filters, put on new belts and hoses, put in a new battery and see what she'll do.

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #7  
I'd start with an oil analysis right away and then do one after a few hundred hours of use, assuming no further problems show up. Someone may have changed the engine oil but if you drain the front and rear differentials you may get a better clue as to the actual hours on the machine. I'd also put a synthetic oil in place of whatever is in the engine now to help insure less wear going forward. There are a lot of good quality synthetic oils available- but make sure you change the oil filter at the same time and use the correct grade. Get an owner's manual and a service manual for it too.
From the serial number you can figure out when the tractor was made, the service manual decodes the number. They may have sold it as a '010 but it could easily be a different year of manufacture, based on the serial number's data. Not that it makes any real difference, since Kioti sells them as whatever year they are sold vs. actual year of manufacture, but it's good to know for your own purposes.
Keep the ROPS bar up and wear your seatbelt!:thumbsup:
Good luck and post back results/questions.

Well I thought I'd bring this one back from the dead to both solve the mystery of the engine blowby and ask where I can get a rebuild kit/crate engine?

Shortly after getting the Kioti, I did all the fluids and filters, it all went pretty well til I got to the fuel filter. Couldn't get the filter bowl off to save my life, finally got it off (cracking it in the process) and it had been like silicone caulked or RTV'ed closed. And more importantly had no filter in there.

So I guess it had been run for who knows how long with no fuel filter. Anyway, I've used it for the last year or so and it's been fine, just the same blowby but it started getting worse a month ago and now won't keep compression.

What are my options? I can rebuild it, does Kioti sell rebuild kits? Can you still get NOS motors for these? Would a newer HST model motor bolt in? Any other thoughts or options. Thanks:thumbsup:

/ Rolled the dice on a DK40 #9  
First thing I would do is find out for sure what the problem is. Perhaps it is "just" a head gasket, piston rings or could be something else that is repairable, it may not need a new motor.

Good call, thank you. I guess it could just be a ring job or something. My feeling is it's a lot worse but I'm gonna open it up and see what I find.