Comparison DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #1  

MrSteve

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2025R
Hey guys... I sold my Massey 1533 some time ago (it was a good tractor) and I am starting to look at tractors again and my eye started looking at the Kioti, for a few reasons, but the warranty time got me looking that way the most. In any case my dealer is a Kioti and Massey dealer and what he has on the lot is the DS410HS, but nothing toward the DK40SE so I couldn't ask there about the comparison of the 2 models (found out about the DK after coming home and looking on the net).

With all said, I started comparing the DS4110 to the Massey 1643 and seen what a deal it seemed to be and to get DS over the 1643, but... After giving each model a good look over on specs (per the internet) I am starting to think it isn't a fear comparison to be judging the the 2 over each other, it seems to me the 1640 should be compared more toward the DX and not the DS, yes?

In any case, I can't find a good source on the internet for a price of a DK40SE with FEL, can any one give me a ball park price?

My dealer wants $17,400 delivered for the DS4110HS with FEL, how is that price?

Should I be comparing the DX40SE with the Massey 1643 instead of the DS4110HS/1643 comparison? Maybe I am just way off here and the DX is a bigger tractor with more options (I haven't seen it in person) over the 1643, just not sure.

I believe the Massey 1643 with FEL will come in around the $23,000 mark, just to give a price on that tractor.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #2  
I suspect the Massey 1643 is the competitor to the DK40se. The prices you quote for the 1643 are ballpark for the DK40se too.

Basically, the DS is Kioti's value line. The DKse line is all tricked out to compete with the Kubota Grand L line. The DS has the same loader and capabilities as the DK but doesn't have the bells and whistles. If you look at the Kioti website there is a comparison tool and you can see all the specs.

I have never looked closely but as I understand it, the DS is basically an updated version of the older DK tractor that was replaced by the DKse line in 2007. New engine and a non removable version of the KL401 loader are the main differences from the old DK. The old DK was a reliable workhorse and I'm sure the DS is an improvement.

For what its worth, 17 grand for the DS sounds to me like a good deal. That is certainly a lot of tractor for the money.

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #3  
I think the DK40/45/50SE series compares weight and loader capacity more with a MF1648 and still wins in some measures.
If you can, find a DK series to drive and depending on your usage I think the HST is the best thing since sliced bread for loader work atleast. I tried a DS4110 in the lot to try to simulate doing loader work and it was busy especially if you try to use a low gear to go into the pile and then reverse out in a faster gear. With a wet multiplate clutch I may have been tempted to save the couple thousand but none of these little tractors seem to have them.
The DK has a nicer seat and is a bit more ergonomic too... Once I got the seat set up right I drove around the dealers field and for a second I wondered why the floor was moving:confused2:
I guess the DK has more electrical components and switches to run the 4WD, pto, cruise control, but stuff like an idiot light to show you have the brake pedals disconnected is sort of useful for newbie atleast. Also your 3pth is all set up as well onthe DK's.
I think your dealer should be able to get you a DK40 with an HST for ~$20K given his price for the DS4110.

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643
Thanks for the info guys...

I called the dealer to see what he could give me on prices for the other tractors...

This is what I got...
DS4110/FEL $17,500
DS4510/FEL $19,500

DK40SE/Geared/FEL $$23,100
or HST/FEL $24,100

Then he also gave me a price on a DS3510 w/FEL (didn't see it in the spec sheet, I have to go to the web site to give it a look over) of $15,600. He says the tractor is sitting on the same frame, BUT smaller tires, not sure if I want to go that route. I only talked about the 3510 because my Massey was a 33hp and I had no problems with that Hp rating for the work I was doing. But this time a around I plan on putting this tractor to work off the property as well.

Not sure why he is giving such a good price on the DS, but to me, not such a good price on the DKs. He did say he sells lots of the 4110s (5 to 1 on all others), so maybe he is getting a better price from the distributor because of more that he buys/sells.

Not sure if looking at the Massey 1600s over the DS is worth it, by his pricing they are close, that is if we go Hp to Hp comparison, but looking at warranties, that's big, 2 years on one and 4 on the other.

Not sure what to do, the only thought I have right now is go with the 4110 or "maybe" the 4510, (I know HP is HP, but I don't see it being worth the extra $2000 in this/my case for the 4510 by his pricing)... Then work the DS until the warranty is about over and trade/sell it and see where I go from there (and set in my mind the extra switches and 3pt stuff in the DX will have to wait). Lots of thinking to do, I have some time, just want to get something done before the end of this year so to get what ever deals I can.

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #5  
Interesting. The relative prices are what would make up my mind. For starters there is no way I would spend an extra $2000 to go from a DS4100 to the Ds4510. Four HP ain't worth it. The DS3510 if it is related to the DK35 in engine and loader would be the best buy so long as you don't need a powerful loader. It likely has different axles than the 41 as well as smaller tires but the HP rating should be 38 which is not that much off the 41. If a big loader is a priority then the DS4110 gets my vote. If you are comfortable with gear and have no particular reason to have HST, then it seems hard to justify an extra $6500 for the DK40se HST or even $4500 extra for the gear DK40se.

If I were in your shoes I'd just ponder what I needed the tractor for and how fat my wallet felt. Less than $16000 for a DS3510 gets you a remarkable deal IMO. If the extra 1200lbs of loader lift and a few HP are worth it then another 2K for the DS4110 would also be a great deal. I love my DK40se HST but I bought it four years ago when it was priced close to the DS4100 today. The DS had not been released yet so the decision was easy but I would have to think real hard about shelling out an extra $6500 today and probably wouldn't.

I think it says a lot that in your area the DS outsells the DK by such a margin. I presume that means the DS is being used as a utility tractor on farms or ranches. The DK is a "deluxe" tractor designed to appeal to vacation home owners, gentleman farmers and generally folks who can afford the niceties. I don't believe the DS is any less capable than the DK sibling. Kinda like a Suburban compared to an Escalade.

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #6  
I have had my DS4510HS for 8 months and 185 hrs and it has not missed a beat. DS4110 is not marketed over here.
If you don't really need those bells and whistles, save the money and buy some implements .

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #7  
I got my DK40SE HST with loader for $22,520 up here in Canuck land with R1's. This is with the Kioti $4k cash incentive which I think is still running. The quote for the DS4110 was $19,400. This was when the canuck buck would buy $1.02 US and the next Kioti dealer over was abit surprised at the DK40 price and wasn't interested in beating them so I think it was about as low as possible. My dealer isn't a fan of the DS's so maybe he didn't offer me much of a deal on them, your dealer seems to be the opposite!
Also the HST was only a $1000 option for me...
Anyways, if your long term plan is to sell it anyways, whats a used DS4110 go for in your area? If you buy a 500 hr one and put 300 hrs on it, you might get the 300hrs for free?
Also get a DK quote from your next closest Kioti dealer, it might be $4k cheaper!

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #8  
DS4110 and DS4510 are basically the old style DK series, the ones sold before the SE came out, with cosmetic and a few other changes.
They share the same loader (arms and lift capacity) of the DK40-50SE
The DS 3510 is basically the back half of a LK30 mounted to the front half of a CK35.
The loader is basically the same as the CK series loader with a different mount and the joystick and valve mounted on the loader frame.

I love the DS 4110 and 4510, I prefer non-HS, but that's just me.
If you were looking at a CK I might mention the DS3510.
If you are looking at a DK I would mention the DS4110-4510.
Alot of bang for the buck in that DS4110

BTI

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643
Thanks again for the info...

I had another thought when talking with the dealer, he told me the tractor I was looking at "could" be shifted without the clutch, to me that means it was the HS, but... I seen nothing on the tractor saying it was as such (I could have missed it), so I don't believe it was a DS4110HS for the price I have given here, but I could be wrong. In my defense, what makes me think it wasn't a HS is because I really don't think the dealer knows/knew, I don't mean to put him down, but this is what he said to me, "They say you can shift from forward to reverse with out using the clutch, but I wouldn't do it because you could kill a clutch that can last 15,000 hours". What? 15,000 hour clutch? Maybe a mistake and he adding an extra 0 or am I the dumb one and he was talking about the hydra clutch in the HS that should last 15,000hrs?

Isn't the hydra clutch more a less a toque converter?

So with that said... How would one tell if you were looking at a DS4110HS? Would it say DS4110HS on the hood? Look at the shifter? What would I look for?

IF this tractor is a DS4110HS, I think I really shouldn't pass it up for the price. If it isn't a HS, how much is that option usually?

With all said, the HS is another reason I think going with the DS is abetter choice for me over the DK, I mean I like the fun stuff the DK offers, but there isn't a HS option on the DK and I really don't want to go with a hydro trans, I just like the extra few Hp a geared transmission gives you at the PTO and having a HS for loader work would be nice... My Massey 1533 was a 8x8 and yes, it gets busy moving all your limbs when using the FEL.

/ DS4110HS or DK40SE or even a Massey 1643 #10  
The hydraulic shuttle on the DS isn't a power shuttle, i.e; you have to shift in neutral than in the other direction, not strait from one way to the other, well that`s what my dealer told me. I have tried out the DS4510HS and i liked the feel of the shuttle. On the DS3510, to shuttle you have to come to a complete stop, where as on the CK it's a full sync shuttle.
The DS line are cheap HP tractors, very basic to say. If it where up to me i'd go for the DKse for its 3 range tranny, or the CK35 for the hp. I find my CK30 gear missing a little something, either 3 range tranny or a little more hp for what i do.
Anyways you can't go wrong with a Kioti:D:thumbsup: