Buying Advice 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out.

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out. #1  

pickeringchris

Gold Member
Hey guys. Chris from Pickering Ontario here.

I am considering buying my first tractor. I live in town on a 1/2 acre lot. I grow giant pumpkins for competition and need a little tractor that will do the following:
1) Move manure. I bring in 20-30 yards every fall.
2) I need to pull a subsoiler like this: Fred Cain Tractor 3 Point Hitch Subsoiler S-2

and maybe one like this: 12" Narrow Hitch, Low Profile One Bottom Tractor Plow, Model 19-12 Category 1, 3 Point Hitch Hookup

The 20s is the best size for my small lot but I have no idea if it is powerful enough to use those attachments.

I know HST uses up power so I would have no problem getting a shuttle. Only problem is that the shuttle gas pedal is in a very awkward place for me. I am a big guy. Seems like it is a foot too close to the back of the machine.
I am worried that if I get HST it wont have the power I need. So my next thought is the 27. A lot more money ($3500) and a rather big machine for a 1/2 acre.

HELP!!!!!!

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out. #2  
The HST only robs PTO HP, but even with a tiller you might still want an HST machine just for its ability to creep very slowly at full rpm for more PTO hp.
You will be traction limited anyways for any of these machines as well so it won't matter which transmission type you choose in terms of pulling power.
Check all the loader specs as you'll want to be able to lift your 1000lb+ monster pumpkins!

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out.
Thanks Ian.

I will not need a tiller with this machine. I have a Honda frc800 that is better for final soil prep than a tractor. Won't compact the subsoil as much. Also, none of the tractors I am looking at will lift a competition sized pumpkin. I have a tripod for that anyway.
I just saw a video on everything attachments of them using a plow on a cat 22hp. I know cats are all hydro so I would assume this is equivalent to the ck20HST. I was impressed.

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out. #4  
i think a fellow on tbn has used a subcut to pull a subsoiler. check out threads by bpfick.
steve

What is a subcut? :-(

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out. #6  
Good evening, welcome to TBN. You will be very suprised at what a CK20 will do. I'm not 100% sure it will pull the subsoiler you are looking at to a full 18 inches. If the ground is not rock hard it will pull it 12 plus inches. With only 1/2 acre I believe you will be very happy with the 20. By the way Kioti does not make a subcompact.

Eddie

Is subcut slang for subcompact? Sorry guys for the dumb questions.

/ 20s, 20s hst, 27s, 27hst....man im tuckered out. #8  
The 20 is the right size. but, it could use more HP. Have you consider the TYM T273? I think the wheelbase is actually a little shorter than the CK20, and you get 27 hp.

In the CK series, for your uses on a small lot the HST would be OK.

There is no representation for TYM in my area. Mahindra's closest dealer is 40 miles and I'm having a hard time with the pink paint stories.
I have 3 kioti dealers to choose from within 20-25 miles. Bobcat in Canada is priced 15% more than the equivalent Kioti. Not sure if it's the same in the US.