Buying Advice I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal?

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #1  

ohbehave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 (2012)
I'm in the market for tractor for my wooded 8 acres that I'd like to clean up (clear out the underbrush and some funky trees)...and then attempt to farm a little. Never owned a tractor before although I used an old Ford to smooth a greyhound track as a job once in the 80's.

I was considering a Kubota B3200...or possibly B2920, then I noticed this Kioti (never heard of the brand) and after some research, the brand looks to be legit and interesting.

Here is an ad that just popped up in my local craigslist. What do you think of the price? He doesn't mention the specific tractor model number.
2012 kioti 35hp 4x4 tractor
"almost new kioti 35hp 4x4 tractor for sale. it only has 22hrs on it. it has all the options you can get on these tractors. its got shuttle shift, push button 4x4, push button pto and anything else you will need. it also has a front bucket and a hay spear. i am asking $15,800"

So, I'm assuming shuttle shift means that it is a non-hydrostatic drive system. I'm assuming it is a DK35se. What do you think of the price?

Thanks!
Kelton

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #2  
Sounds like a good price to me given it is essentially new. You are correct that shuttle shift is non HST. HST is nice for loader work and you'll be doing a lot of that. The basic tractor is great and a close relative of the larger siblings : DK40/45/50. The only slight weakness of the 35 in comparison to the bigger ones is that the loader lifts only about 1500lbs vs 2700lbs and for land clearing a stronger loader is desirable. Having said that, the DK35 loader is every bit as strong or stronger than the B3200 or B2920 (the DK is much more tractor than either). The Kioti is also a more fully featured machine than either of the Kubotas. Bottom line for me is that at the price it is a very good deal and would certainly be an effective tool for cleaning up brush and trash trees. You'll need to add a 5 or 6ft bush hog and a 48 inch grapple but then the tractor will easily handle the type of work you describe. From the photos it is apparent that the tractor already has one set of rear remotes installed so that is how you can operate the grapple. Trade in the bale spear for credit on a bush hog and buy yourself a 48" grapple via internet (lots of reading on TBN about light duty grapples) and you will be ready to roll.

I've owned two Kioti's, a CK20 and now a DK40se. Very happy with both. Rock solid and great bang for the buck.

Last edited:
   / I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #3  
They are an excellent full featured tractor, But I am biased, as I have one.:) The loader is strong, but not as strong as the slight longer, slightly higher DK40se that Island mentioned. I can't speak for the shuttle shift model as mine is a Hydrostat. I gave 19,300 for it in April, I have 89 hours on it now. Give it a look, and see how you like it, Check out the bucket, and makes sure it is in good shape. Make him put it on and check everything out, should only take a minute to put on with the Quick Attach. I don't have any use for the bale spear either, but a set of forks sure are handy around here.. I would like to get a grapple some day, but the forks are working for me for now. I sure would give it a look, as it is basically new.

James K0UA

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal?
Being a complete novice, I am not aware of the kinds of things that can be attached to a tractor.... that grapple would be a massive time saver. I plan on cutting the large, unwanted trees into 4' segments and then stacking them to dry (I will cut them in half and split them in the future) and removing all of the honeysuckle and privet weed shrubs. The front loader would work, but I can tell it would be awkward and somewhat inefficient in getting a hold on the brush.

Anyway, it was a little late to call the Craigslist guy yesterday, I'll try today. He is a little far away (60 miles each way).... not sure how to work the logistics if I go for it. Maybe he'll have an idea.

So what, very generally, does a grapple cost (for a tractor of this size)?

Kelton

They are an excellent full featured tractor, But I am biased, as I have one.:) The loader is strong, but not as strong as the slight longer, slightly higher DK40se that Island mentioned. I can't speak for the shuttle shift model as mine is a Hydrostat. I gave 19,300 for it in April, I have 89 hours on it now. Give it a look, and see how you like it, Check out the bucket, and makes sure it is in good shape. Make him put it on and check everything out, should only take a minute to put on with the Quick Attach. I don't have any use for the bale spear either, but a set of forks sure are handy around here.. I would like to get a grapple some day, but the forks are working for me for now. I sure would give it a look, as it is basically new.

James K0UA

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #5  
I have a DK 35 TLB and it is a strong machine. For loader work, you will need ballast, either loaded tires or an attachment on the back. A bush hog is good enough for most lifting. IF you get a back hoe, the sub frame can be a problem in the woods due to greatly reduced ground clearance. The industrial tires on mine are also an issue in mud, even with chains on all 4 wheels. I have cleared plenty of bush, it is quite do-able but you will need to plan your routes with care. Also, "pushing bush" can be hazardous to exposed bits like hoses and rad screens. Good luck.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #6  
As for the Grapple, although some have bought them on sale for as low as 900 or so, but generally about 1200 for a 48 incher. You will need another 100+ or so for hoses to go from the rear remote connectors back up to the front end loader torque tube area for the grapple to connect to. You may want connectors in the middle also so the loader can be easily removed entirely. You can do a lot with a set of forks, lift brush and logs, but it will not be as fast or convenient as a grapple.

James K0UA

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #7  
Have you thought about maintenance? If you are new to tractors, you are going to need some sort of support base. There is no Kioti dealer in the Knoxville area. You should go to the Kioti web site and find out where the nearest dealer is to your property. You should also find out if the warranty is transferable. If you do need service work, warranty or otherwise, you will have to arrange for transportation to and from the dealers, wherever that is, or pay the dealer's rate for that service.

It's often said that with tractors, it's the dealer that's the most important thing, not the brand of the tractor. Be cautious.

Be sure to ask if the seller has the original paperwork that came with the machine, if you intend to buy it.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #8  
Misfire said:
Have you thought about maintenance? If you are new to tractors, you are going to need some sort of support base. There is no Kioti dealer in the Knoxville area. You should go to the Kioti web site and find out where the nearest dealer is to your property. You should also find out if the warranty is transferable. If you do need service work, warranty or otherwise, you will have to arrange for transportation to and from the dealers, wherever that is, or pay the dealer's rate for that service.

It's often said that with tractors, it's the dealer that's the most important thing, not the brand of the tractor. Be cautious.

Be sure to ask if the seller has the original paperwork that came with the machine, if you intend to buy it.

My tractor is on an island. I was a complete newbie when I first brought a tractor over having previously only had experience with a Craftsman riding mower. In seven years I haven't needed to take either my CK20 or DK40 to a dealer and have been able to do all necessary maintenance myself. It's part of the fun. A good dealer is important but in my case that means a dealer that is willing to talk by phone and send filters and occasional repair parts via UPS. My dealer is 600 miles away. I rely on telephone and TBN for advice and just do the wrenching myself as a lot of TBNers do (even the occasional manly Kubota and JD owners are known to pick up a wrench). Only Kubota and JD loving weenies send their tractors back to the dealer for service. But, yes, there are some potential repairs that require splitting the tractor and most of us would have that done by a pro. The chance of needing such a repair is extremely low however, maybe one in ten or twenty tractors over a ten year period would be my guesstimate. That is a 0.5 to 1% risk each year on average. Trailering to a dealership adds a bit of cost but even a sixty or hundred mile travel each way would only add a few hundred bucks. Also, as the original poster is a newbie, he should know that Bobcat dealers sell an identical lineup of tractors with white paint. The Bobcat CT335 is the Kioti DK35se in white paint so there is bound to be a dealer nearby for future non warranty work and also a convenient source of parts nearby.

From the photos on the craigslist posting it is clear this is essentially a brand new tractor. No chance to have abused it by failing to do maintenance etc either. Someone changed his mind after 22hours and the OP can benefit by picking up a new fully warrantied tractor for several thousand less than from a dealer. If it works properly after 22 hours it will very likely be problem free for hundreds more hours with just regular maintenance. Sounds like a good risk and good deal to me.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #9  
Also, as the original poster is a newbie, he should know that Bobcat dealers sell an identical lineup of tractors with white paint. The Bobcat CT335 is the Kioti DK35se in white paint so there is bound to be a dealer nearby for future non warranty work and also a convenient source of parts nearby.

From the photos on the craigslist posting it is clear this is essentially a brand new tractor. No chance to have abused it by failing to do maintenance etc either. Someone changed his mind after 22hours and the OP can benefit by picking up a new fully warrantied tractor for several thousand less than from a dealer. If it works properly after 22 hours it will very likely be problem free for hundreds more hours with just regular maintenance. Sounds like a good risk and good deal to me.

Not all Bobcat dealers carry the CUTs. Poster on another recent thread said that those that don't aren't allowed to order parts for them, so it's not automatic that he can find support at a Knoxville area Bobcat dealer. He would need to verify that.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but when I see a near new CUT equipped with a hay spear listed for sale, I have to wonder what the story is. The people I know with hay spears own a good bit of property and don't tend to sell off near new equipment in that manner. That's why I mentioned checking on the original paperwork.

/ I think this is a DK35se Is it a good deal? #10  
Maybe I'm paranoid, but when I see a near new CUT equipped with a hay spear listed for sale, I have to wonder what the story is. The people I know with hay spears own a good bit of property and don't tend to sell off near new equipment in that manner. That's why I mentioned checking on the original paperwork.

Yes, I would sure want to see all the paperwork. It would be necessary for warranty anyways.

Perhaps I am not as suspicious about the deal as there are quite a few tractors that get sold after 20-50 hours. Maybe there were financial problems or divorce, maybe they decided to get a bigger tractor (I don't think a DK35 loader would handle big round bales for example though the selling dealer should have known that). I would presume that there would be some conversation with the seller anyways so the potential purchaser has an opportunity to get the story and judge it's veracity.