Changed Colors....

/ Changed Colors.... #21  
Let us know what you're doing and how it goes. Whoever starts first should start a thread about it. I agree that more sound proofing is needed in the cab. They have done some with coating under the fenders etc, but obviously more is needed. I do think a better muffler would cut engine noise which would help. The problem is there's not much room in there and I'd like a verticle stack anyway. This also makes Kubota's HST+ look really nice, you wouldn't have the engine screaming at you all day long at a constant RPM when you don't need it to be.

I have always thought that JD cabs unmatched, unfortunatly, that includes price.

/ Changed Colors.... #22  
Let us know what you're doing and how it goes. Whoever starts first should start a thread about it. I agree that more sound proofing is needed in the cab. They have done some with coating under the fenders etc, but obviously more is needed. I do think a better muffler would cut engine noise which would help. The problem is there's not much room in there and I'd like a verticle stack anyway. This also makes Kubota's HST+ look really nice, you wouldn't have the engine screaming at you all day long at a constant RPM when you don't need it to be.

I have always thought that JD cabs unmatched, unfortunatly, that includes price.

I hear ya on the JD stuff. The problem with the Kubota is you only get max rpm under load and that stinks when you are running a loader with slow hydraulics so your back to the set RPM. The majority of what I do is loader work so it was not a big + for me. I'll post on the sound venture. CJ

/ Changed Colors.... #23  
I hear ya on the JD stuff. The problem with the Kubota is you only get max rpm under load and that stinks when you are running a loader with slow hydraulics so your back to the set RPM. The majority of what I do is loader work so it was not a big + for me. I'll post on the sound venture. CJ

Good point. Yes, please post everything you do that does or doesn't make a difference for sound, I'll do the same. Since we're way off topic at this point anyway, what do you think of the KL401 loader and response time. I love how strong it is, but it obviously comes at the expense of responsiveness. I seem to sit there all day waiting for it to dump. On the flip side, the KL130 on my CK30 was lightning fast, something I got used to and loved. The down side was that I often had to start backing out of a pile before it would be able to lift or curl. I would put my CK30 against my DK45 for moving a triaxle load of top soil any day.

/ Changed Colors.... #24  
Maybe it just me being a little (well a lot ) deaf, but I dont find my machines to be noisy enough to require ear plugs or head gear even on my Kubota RTV 900 which folks complain about being noisy. I dont see it. MY B26 has a loud transmission whine but not so loud that I would need to were hearing protection. And inside the cab on my LS it is super quiet. Sure I can hear the engine noise but it isnt loud and the vertical exhaust it at the top of the cab, but who wants to be totally isolated from any sound. One needs to hear the machinery "talking " to you when in operation so you can tell when something changes for the worse.
As for additional sound proofing, maybe some deadening under the cab mounting brackets or under the floor might help if you think the noise is too loud, but that would be about it. Most of the sound is going to be transmitted thru the glass which it 66% of the cab (all except for top and floor is glass).

If I wanted to further reduce cab noise, I would put a thick foam rubber floor mat in like the kind you put down to stand on around a work station. It think it would help in blocking any transmitted noise from the engine and frame a bit but that is about the only place you could do anything. I dont think you could achieve much from the top as it has a bunch of control cable etc under that that you couldnt do much anyway and most sound is not going to come radiating from the top. Only sound coming from below would hit the top and echo back, eliminate the floor noise and nothing would be bouncing downward anyway. My cab has a thick foam pad over my head so not much noise coming thu that except for the stereo speakers when I happen to turn on the radio.

If I ever get industrious, I may buy some of those interlocking foam pads and take out the rubber mat, use it as a pattern and cut out a total foam insert, then put my rubber pad back on top. There is some opening around the brakes and clutch that might could be closed up a bit for dust control.

/ Changed Colors.... #25  
Good point. Yes, please post everything you do that does or doesn't make a difference for sound, I'll do the same. Since we're way off topic at this point anyway, what do you think of the KL401 loader and response time. I love how strong it is, but it obviously comes at the expense of responsiveness. I seem to sit there all day waiting for it to dump. On the flip side, the KL130 on my CK30 was lightning fast, something I got used to and loved. The down side was that I often had to start backing out of a pile before it would be able to lift or curl. I would put my CK30 against my DK45 for moving a triaxle load of top soil any day.

Ken that is one thing I noticed between my DK35se and the DK40 the DK35se is mucho faster than the DK40, They both use the same pump but the cylinders are smaller on the DK35se so the DK40 outlifts it but the DK35se is faster. At first I thought it TOO fast, but I got used to it. I guess it is all in what you get used to.

James K0UA

/ Changed Colors.... #26  
I've been interested in doing a vertical stack similar to the one Paul (4shorts) did. Either in one of his posts or in his video, he mentioned it changed the sound of the engine. I'm wondering what would happen if my verticle stack also incorporated a second muffler. Would having 2 mufflers be harmful to the engine, would it make any difference etc. I think next summer I want to try and reduce the noise level a little..

Ken the stack conversion I did changed the sound but in a good way. It wasn't any louder but more of a heavier tone to it. I've got 80 hours own the tractor since the conversion and I would be without it now.
Put up a video while plowing in the night. I'm pleased with the noise level in the cab.

Night video Jan 28 2013 - YouTube

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 147
   / Changed Colors.... #27  
Ken the stack conversion I did changed the sound but in a good way. It wasn't any louder but more of a heavier tone to it. I've got 80 hours own the tractor since the conversion and I would be without it now.
Put up a video while plowing in the night. I'm pleased with the noise level in the cab.

Night video Jan 28 2013 - YouTube

I remember you saying you liked the new sound. I guess I was hoping it would be a little quieter at the same time. Had I not bought and refurbed a snow blower this fall, I would have done the stack, now it'll have to wait till the spring or summer. Best to take baby steps to avoid loosing the tractor in a divorce!

I don't think my cab is overly loud, you can easily listen to the radio, but when you're using the blower in deep heavy snow and you set the RPM in the 2800 range, it's not quite as peaceful.

Great video, I saw it right after you posted it.

P1017762.JPGP1017780.JPG

/ Changed Colors.... #28  
I remember you saying you liked the new sound. I guess I was hoping it would be a little quieter at the same time. Had I not bought and refurbed a snow blower this fall, I would have done the stack, now it'll have to wait till the spring or summer. Best to take baby steps to avoid loosing the tractor in a divorce!

I don't think my cab is overly loud, you can easily listen to the radio, but when you're using the blower in deep heavy snow and you set the RPM in the 2800 range, it's not quite as peaceful.

Great video, I saw it right after you posted it.

View attachment 299497View attachment 299498

Man you did a nice job on that snow blower! Sure is a great sense of accomplishment when it turns out as nice as that. The stack conversion is a well worth while mod to do. When I had the Kubota 4240 I wanted to do it but never took the time but when I got the 5740 I figured it was time to go for it. I couldn't find anyone on the net that did it so I was on my own but as luck would have it, it turned out great and I'm very happy with it.

It takes time to do anything so I'm sure in time you'll get to doing yours but I've always believed that its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission :laughing:
I've been married for 32 years to a great lady. She's never held me back on anything including my work and believe me there were times i think she should have :D

/ Changed Colors.... #29  
GKM.....since the 13th & no PICTURE??? You killing us man:muttering:

/ Changed Colors....
GKM.....since the 13th & no PICTURE??? You killing us man:muttering:

Sorry...I thought I posted some pics...maybe in other thread.

See below:

DSC_0259.jpgDSC_0258.jpgDSC_0257.jpg