Comparison DS 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH

/ DS 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH #1  

gopherbroke

Tractor
Ford 1710
DK 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH

Can someone help me understand the differences in the gear transmissions in the DK & DS model Kioti's?? My understanding is the 4 main gears in the DK model are fully synchronized; that one can shift on the fly. I was told by a dealer that the same is true with the 4 main gears in the DS models. If that is true I'm surprised Kioti doesn't better advertise the fact on their web site and simply call it a constant mesh gear box. Kubota makes the point with their MX series to point out only 3&4th gear are synchronized. I did in fact test a DS 4510 and got some protest from the gear box. It could have just been me. I also tested a Kubota MX5100 and shifted while moving (slowly as the dealers lot was quite congested) and didn't hear any grinding. I realize a full stop is required with both for range changes. I've also tested a MF1652 with power shift which I understand is similar to the DS HS option. I couldn't get it thru my head that I didn't need to clutch. Do DS - HS owners like their HS feature? There's quite a price spread between a DS-HS model and the Massey. Thanks

Last edited:
   / DS 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH #2  
Not real familiar with the DS models. As far as I know the DS models are not synchronized. You need to stop to shift.

The DK models are synchronized, shift on the go.
You need to stop to change ranges

/ DS 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH #3  
Re: DK 12 speed SYNCHRO vs DS 8 speed CONSTANT MESH

Can someone help me understand the differences in the gear transmissions in the DK & DS model Kioti's?? My understanding is the 4 main gears in the DK model are fully synchronized; that one can shift on the fly. I was told by a dealer that the same is true with the 4 main gears in the DS models. If that is true I'm surprised Kioti doesn't better advertise the fact on their web site and simply call it a constant mesh gear box. Kubota makes the point with their MX series to point out only 3&4th gear are synchronized. I did in fact test a DS 4510 and got some protest from the gear box. It could have just been me. I also tested a Kubota MX5100 and shifted while moving (slowly as the dealers lot was quite congested) and didn't hear any grinding. I realize a full stop is required with both for range changes. I've also tested a MF1652 with power shift which I understand is similar to the DS HS option. I couldn't get it thru my head that I didn't need to clutch. Do DS - HS owners like their HS feature? There's quite a price spread between a DS-HS model and the Massey. Thanks

12 speeds are better than 8. More choices, Better matching of a desired speed to the task at hand.
Synchronized transmissions are far more used friendly than collar shift.
DS series Kiotis are economy spec; DK are more full featured. There are more differences than judst transmission options.
Hydrostatic and powershift are not what I would call similar, but I suppose some would get the idea that they were.