Comparison CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
I was all prepared to pick up a CK30HST then my dealer offers a CK35 Shuttle for the same price. My last tractor was a gear without shuttle shift and I managed fine. My primary work is mowing a 3 acre field and a steep acre of yard. Every now and then I do some loader work but that's not the primary function. Is the HST worth the trade off in HP? I know folks say once you go HST you will wonder how you did without it. Size wise, they are the same...it's just the HP that is different. 22 vs. 27.6 at the PTO. I am about ready to just flip a coin!

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #2  
Personal preference really. I have a ck25 shuttle and a JD 425 HST. Love the HST, went shuttle on my ck to maximize power. The HST gives you finer control and more convenient back and forth, but won't deliver the power of the gear. I like my shuttle just fine.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #3  
With mowing being your main chore, I would go with the CK35. That other 5.6 hp will make a HUGE difference with how the mowing goes. That's over 25% more HP at the PTO and that will make a big big difference with how your mowing goes.

Good luck with your decision. ;)

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #4  
I have run out of power blowing snow and tilling, I have never have run out of power mowing, but I would NEVER trade the hydrostatic for more power. When you run low on power with the hydrostatic it is easy just to slow down a bit. I suppose this didn't help your decision given the other guys saying go for the power.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #5  
I had a CK30 HST and had two complaints.

1) Tractor didn't have enough power for high range travel. This is probably also a result of having loaded tires and a 1200# backhoe, but the tractor struggled and needed more power.

2) I personally believe there is an inherent issue with the hst in the CK line. You will find LOTS of sticky hst treads for both Bobcat and Kioti. I had to have my tractor split and the hst replaced and my dealer had done the same for several before mine. I use my DK the exact same way and have not had the issue. It has the two pedal design as opposed to the rocker pedal design.

I wish I'd bought the CK35 at the time. If you're not doing loader work, the HST advantage is greatly reduced.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #6  
I had a CK30 HST and had two complaints.

1) Tractor didn't have enough power for high range travel. This is probably also a result of having loaded tires and a 1200# backhoe, but the tractor struggled and needed more power.

2) I personally believe there is an inherent issue with the hst in the CK line. You will find LOTS of sticky hst treads for both Bobcat and Kioti. I had to have my tractor split and the hst replaced and my dealer had done the same for several before mine. I use my DK the exact same way and have not had the issue. It has the two pedal design as opposed to the rocker pedal design.

I wish I'd bought the CK35 at the time. If you're not doing loader work, the HST advantage is greatly reduced.

Even in the Gear model, with a backhoe on and loaded tires you notice the weight. When I take the backhoe off my tractor feels like a sports car (well relatively). I also notice I have less traction with the hoe on; I guess due to lighter front end. But a backhoe weights twice as much or more than most other implements. I think the OP would be fine with either model. If he has a lot to mow around the HST is the way to go. Otherwise, the shuttle is a beast.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #7  
Then try both at your place if the dealer is willing. Sorry guys I'm real sick today.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #8  
Even in the Gear model, with a backhoe on and loaded tires you notice the weight. When I take the backhoe off my tractor feels like a sports car (well relatively). I also notice I have less traction with the hoe on; I guess due to lighter front end. But a backhoe weights twice as much or more than most other implements. I think the OP would be fine with either model. If he has a lot to mow around the HST is the way to go. Otherwise, the shuttle is a beast.

I made several "long" trips with my CK30 right before the sticky pedal issue started. Two of the trips where to my mechanic about 3KM down the road because I punctured a tire (same tire, one week apart, slow leak so I could drive it both times). The first time I had the BH on, the second time I didn't. I agree, it made a difference, but with hills, I struggled either way. I also made several trips to a friends farm about 5 KM away pulling a trailer to load up manure for the garden. Again, it worked, but some of the hills made the tractor struggle regardless of if the trailer was loaded or not. Apart from struggling with hills, I found it very unresponsive. It was always a struggle to get it moving at top speed, you really had to feather the pedal to work it up to speed without dropping the RPMs.

Thankfully I haven't had to take the DK to my mechanic and I haven't needed more manure, but I do travel 3-5KM to grab heavy rocks which probably weigh close to twice what the backhoe did. The tractor is much more responsive in high gear and doesn't struggle up hills nearly as much. The extra power makes a big difference if traveling in high gear, which may not apply to the OP.

I also had the opposite experience with traction. That machine was a beast with the bh on. I also felt a lot safer knowing I could drag myself out of just about anything. I once tried to straddle a trench I was digging to re-dig part of it and of course ended up in it when I got to a bend. The top of the front tire was below ground level and the back was sitting on the axle. It took a while, but I managed to use the bh and FEL to pick it back up and move it out of the trench.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #9  
For all you guys that claim you cant control your shuttle the way you can an hst, do you not have a foot throttle??

There is no way I would ever trade an HST for my shuttle, best move ever made was upgrading to a shuttle. Having so many gears to choose from gives no advantage to hst. And it runs quieter too.

/ CK30 HST vs. CK35 Shuttle #10  
My Mahindra 3215 HST is suppose to have 32hp. It does not, it has 34hp. :thumbsup: My tractor weighs about 5000lbs ballasted with loader and box blade. I have no problems traveling up hill in high range. If the CK35 was offered to the OP with an HST trans, I would recommend that over the shuttle, but it is not and there have been enough complaints of the CK30 HST being under powered that I feel that the OP would be better served with the CK35, HST or shuttle.

Just my :2cents: