Comparison Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #1  

Arizona Rancher

Tractor
Kioti DK40
Hello. It has been some time since I first posted a request for help getting my Kioti DK40 Diesel Fuel Tank out. As someone suggested I did use Por15 for a tank sealant since a new tank costs well in excess of $700.00. Also there are freight charges to the dealer that I found they all charge you and there are freight charges to you. It took my wife and I several days to get the fuel tank out and it was very well rusted inside - not through or even close but quite a bit other than that. I had it bead / soda blasted and I used Por15. I also painted the exterior of the tank after sanding it. Several thoughts to share with you.
1. I never kept my tank full so the heat and cold in Arizona caused some moisture and finally rust
2. This is a real pain to get out and it took many calls to Kioti to get a diagram of the installation. I do have a technical and shop manual. Not in there.
3. It took a professional mechanic over 5 hours to get it back in and up and running.
4. Te nearest Kioti dealer is over in New Mexico or in Neveda. Suposedly there is one in Phoenix but they were authorized or something when I called for parts. I did use the dealer in Neveda and now consider them my dealer. I like them.
5. I needed a new fuel gauge sending unit. Intersting. All Kioti dealers charge freight to them and then again to you plus full retail (or more by some I found. I called several).
6. I called to talk to Kioti's Customer Rep. Several days later he was able to return my call. I was at a convention. We spent over a half hour talking. I asked him if he could get my order drop shipped to me. That is strictly against Kioti policy. He told me that I had a delaer in Tucson but when I had called them they informed that they were no longer a dealer and the Kioti person said oh the website isnt up to date. I find this expensive to buy parts. Lets say its $15.00 shipping - that becomes $30.00 plus the cost of the part. $15 to the dealer and $15 to the customer. I think we all need to call or write Kioti to get them to change this policy. And what if you went to say Home Depot and they charged you full retail on a washer plus added shipping to them and then to you? That would be enormous. This is my humble opinion. Everyone including Kioti is entitled to their opinion. The thought though is that once one buys a Kioti, you will need parts. The part took many weeks to get to me. It did work fine.
7. My Kubota dealer is the person who helped me find a mechanic to get this up and running. Yes I do own an RTV and yes the RTV is wonderful and this is the only way I would ever go again! I had never ever primed a diesel engine before and I wanted to make sure the tank and everything was correct. It runs fine.
8. When using the POR15, I would suggest to buy an inexpensive hair dryer because that is what it took to get my tank dry and the same may be true for you. The first go around with POR15 seemed to leave lots of rust, probably treated, but it worried me. The Soda / Bead blasting for $50 worked.

If you have to fix your tank, let me know if I can help. Arizona Rancher

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #2  
Glad it worked out for you.

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #3  
Was this a new style DK40 or old style? Pre 2007 or DK40se version? Just wondering as it seems early to have a gas tank problem on the DKse versions.

I did have to remove my fuel tank (2007 DK40se) but only because I dropped a g*( d^%$ flashlight into it while refueling. Turns out to be not so difficult to remove once you have assistance to get the hood off.

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #4  
Freight charges are borne by the dealer, on top of what they pay the manufacturer for the parts, and list price of the parts does not include any freight. Some manufacturers do not charge the dealers freight on their normal periodic restock orders, so if you are willing to wait until a restock order comes in you can avoid freight to the dealer. An out-of-cycle order will always result in freight charges. The only way to avoid freight charges from the dealer to you is to go pick up the parts. In many cases, the freight charges will be less than the cost to drive to the dealer and back if the dealer is some distance away. And finally, since dealers set their own prices, they do not have to charge list price. A lot of dealers do in fact charge more than list as routine. Sometimes cash can result in a discount.

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #5  
Was this a new style DK40 or old style? Pre 2007 or DK40se version? Just wondering as it seems early to have a gas tank problem on the DKse versions.

I did have to remove my fuel tank (2007 DK40se) but only because I dropped a g*( d^%$ flashlight into it while refueling. Turns out to be not so difficult to remove once you have assistance to get the hood off.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that happened.:rolleyes:

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #6  
Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that happened.:rolleyes:

So long as your delicate ears were plugged!!

As you know the fuel filler tube is difficult to see down into when standing next to the tractor. My fueling set up uses a powered pump inside my barn and moves fuel at a pretty good rate so I need to let go of the trigger before overflowing the tank. I usually hold a small led flashlight to illuminate inside the tank to check the fuel level. The little HF giveaway flashlight just slipped and disappeared into the tank. I tried using one of those flexible claw grabber devices (also HF) but couldn't get it so started disassembly. I actually did not need to get the whole tank out as once i'd removed the hood and loosened some of the clamps etc, I tried again with the grabber tool and got lucky as I snagged the wrist strap and pulled it out. Flashlight still works but I now use a very large work light that has no chance of falling in!

/ Fuel Tank FIX KIOTI DK40 #8  
Could of dropped a small remote control submarine in there! Heck you could of left it in there, even CM don't have a lighted fuel indicator.