Buying Advice Tractor Upgrading

/ Tractor Upgrading #1  

Kiotikarl

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti ck30 gear
HI all:thumbsup:
Well with the sun starting to show itself my dad and I have started to get tractor fever again:laughing: Anyways our current tractor is a CK30 gear TLB, and we are looking at a DK50SEC, but the dealer (Distribution Payeur in the eastern townships) told us about th RX6010 with power shuttle. The thing is, one my dad wants a hydrostatic tranny (not me) and i intend to keep my backhoe and simply change de subframe. But is the size difference between the RX and DKSEC really big, because i don't intend to replace my towing rigs. We did have a DK45SEC and sold it just to keep one tractor. Would the RX be a better choice than the DK?
The tractor is used for snowplowing and general loader work and landscaping (part time job) It will be towed alot from late spring to early fall.
As for equipement for the tractor i have comme up with this:
- Loader with SSQA
- Industrial tires
- 2 rear remotes
- 2 remotes on the loader (one for hydralic SSQA, the other left for somehting else:laughing:)
- Engine bloc heater
Any advice is more than welcomed

/ Tractor Upgrading #2  
Well, the RX is an awfully nice machine and yes it is bigger and waaaay heavier than the DK50SE. You already know the capabilities of the DK series so you should know if that will do what you need to. If you are towing it around a lot, I would imagine that the smaller size and weight if the DK would be more appealing IF it will do your work. HST is a huge plus in my book for the loader work. Have fun shopping!

/ Tractor Upgrading #3  
HST is a huge plus in my book for the loader work. Have fun shopping!

More and more, I'm finding HST is a huge plus for almost everything. Yesterday my neighbor and I took down a massive tree in my yard that was threatening my fence, and was leaning the wrong direction. I got a rope around it about 30ft up, then ran that rope out and tied it off to my LS Hydro. Being able to make really small changes in how hard I was pulling was very helpful while my neighbor made the back cut. We could have done it with a gear tractor, no doubt, but it wouldn't have been quite as easy.

/ Tractor Upgrading
I'm certain the DK will do the job, we're using a CK30, but my dad really doesn't like a std tranny, personally i don't mind. The CK30 is a wounderful little tractor, but it does miss out a little in lift height and capacity.
Anything else i should be adding to the tractor that i don't think of now:anyone:

/ Tractor Upgrading #5  
I'm certain the DK will do the job, we're using a CK30, but my dad really doesn't like a std tranny, personally i don't mind. The CK30 is a wounderful little tractor, but it does miss out a little in lift height and capacity.
Anything else i should be adding to the tractor that i don't think of now:anyone:

Hard to imagine needing an RX for any job that is currently done with a CK! The DK40se would be more than adequate. Save $1000-2000 (the difference between the 40-45 and 50 changes all the time).

/ Tractor Upgrading
Price wise i don't have any numbers yet to compare, dealer will call back tomorrow with prices, he metion the free loader on the RX and de 4K$ rebate on the DK.
I would personally go for the DK50 in the DK line, the added PTO hp is critical for a snowblower to run. Wo do get more and more of rain during winter around here, and many time both snow and rain at the same time, so i don't what the engine to bog down. I had the dealer crank up de fuel pump on my CK30 to cure this.

/ Tractor Upgrading #7  
Price wise i don't have any numbers yet to compare, dealer will call back tomorrow with prices, he metion the free loader on the RX and de 4K$ rebate on the DK.
I would personally go for the DK50 in the DK line, the added PTO hp is critical for a snowblower to run. Wo do get more and more of rain during winter around here, and many time both snow and rain at the same time, so i don't what the engine to bog down. I had the dealer crank up de fuel pump on my CK30 to cure this.

Understood but if your CK30 is running the snowblower adequately then the DK40 surely will do even better. If you have a larger snowblower in mind then I guess things change.

/ Tractor Upgrading
I run a Pronovost Puma-64 on the CK, blower rated for 20-30hp pto. First year i had to run on 1 Low to keep the tractor from bogging down, and sometimes run on the clutch, with the pump cranked up a little same blower and tractor i run in 1H or 4L .On our DK45SEC we ran a Normand N740-24 blower and the tractor did bog down, never though bout cranking the pump either:licking:

/ Tractor Upgrading #9  
I run a 74" Roberge pull type blower on my DK45 and I certainly wouldn't give up a single PTO hp. 90% of the time, I don't even pay attention to how much snow is going in the blower, I can drive pretty much full speed ahead in mid range, but as you say, we're getting more sloppy heavy snow these days and my DK45 feels those ones. In those cases, I could really use the extra 1.5 PTO hp (yup, that's all it is between the DK45 and DK50). I wanted the DK50, but my dealer could do a better deal on the DK45, so that's the way I went.

You know the difference between the KL130 and KL401 loaders (almost 2.5X the lift capacity), but there's not much difference with the KL401 and KL601. The KL601 lifts a little higher, has a little more breakout and is all around faster than the KL401. The max lift looks less with the KL601, but you have to take the higher lifting height into account, at the same height, the KL601 is probably stronger than the KL401. I would say that if the KL401 wasn't strong enough for your needs, the KL601 wouldn't be either.

If you're using the tractor mainly for FEL work, you don't get much more by upgrading to the RX6010, but if it's mainly PTO work, you get an extra 11.5 PTO hp, which is huge. HST robs a lot of power by the time it gets to the PTO. The DK50 gear is 41.7 and the DK50 HST is only 37.5. Since there's no HST option for the RX6010, the PTO hp is a lot higher at 49.1

/ Tractor Upgrading #10  

If you find that it would be nice to fine tune the adjustments on the 3pt hitch, you may want to consider a Top & Tilt set. ;)