DK90 shopping

/ DK90 shopping #1  

holeycow

Gold Member
Tractor
Minneapolis Moline
Hi all!

First post here for me :)

I am seriously considering a DK90 for the farm chore tractor (haying, feeding, etc). This would be a 20hp downsize for me. I am currently running a Deutz 7110 for this purpose. At 9000 hrs, it is getting tired and I need to "semi-retire" it, LOL.

Do these DK90 tractors have any inherent flaws? ie, are they a tough, long lasting unit?

What is a fair price in Canada for one?

I know they have a dry clutch. Is it a good, long lasting dry clutch like some of the old ones, or can it be expected to wear out in 1000hrs?

How many hours of reasonably competent ownership is one of these tractors good for.

I have searched and searched all over the 'net, but solid info is pretty hard to find.

How about the PTO engagement. Is it abrupt or reasonably smooth. My haying equipment likes a smooth engagement......

Do the remote hydraulics kick out on their own (I've never had a tractor that didn't)? That is nice when opening/closing the baler endgate.

I have visited a dealer, but he didn't have a DK90 to look at. I thought the DK55 and DX6010 looked like good units though. I noticed that the DX6010's PTO seemed to spool up progressively, whereas the DK55 seemed to just "kick-in"?? This with no implement attached though.

Any input from owners of the DK90 would be much appreciated!

Gotta go feedin' in the deep snow again :(

Thanks very much and Hi again!

/ DK90 shopping #2  
Welcome from Ohio

/ DK90 shopping #3  
Welcome to TBN. I haven't seen to many DK90 owners here, but there's a member from Australia (MBTRAC) who has a DK 1002 which is a 100hp, you might send him a PM. According to a couple of his posts, he absolutely loves it and is planning to buy more of them. From his list of tractors (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/274265-how-many-people-own-more.html, post #8), he's got a lot of experience with various makes and models.

My DK 45 is very abrupt for the PTO, it's one of the very few things I don't like about the tractor. By "remote hydraulics kick out on their own", I'm assuming you mean like a log spliter when you retract the ram, once it gets back to the start of the stroke, the lever kicks back to the neutral position. Normally, the remotes have a detente that keeps them open and will not kick out when they go to relief, but the DK90 may be different, I don't know, but doubt it.

Sorry I can't offer any more help, but would love to hear more about what you learn.

/ DK90 shopping
Welcome to TBN. I haven't seen to many DK90 owners here, but there's a member from Australia (MBTRAC) who has a DK 1002 which is a 100hp, you might send him a PM. According to a couple of his posts, he absolutely loves it and is planning to buy more of them. From his list of tractors (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/274265-how-many-people-own-more.html, post #8), he's got a lot of experience with various makes and models.

My DK 45 is very abrupt for the PTO, it's one of the very few things I don't like about the tractor. By "remote hydraulics kick out on their own", I'm assuming you mean like a log spliter when you retract the ram, once it gets back to the start of the stroke, the lever kicks back to the neutral position. Normally, the remotes have a detente that keeps them open and will not kick out when they go to relief, but the DK90 may be different, I don't know, but doubt it.

Sorry I can't offer any more help, but would love to hear more about what you learn.

Thanks guys,

Hmmmmm;....how do I reply "without quote"?

Anyway, yes that is what I mean about the control "kicking-out". I may have to order the optional remotes to get that feature????

I saw a post from MBTRAC that was quite positive. I will wait for a bit before trying to chat with him.

I would love to know what the going price on these tractors is.......not the dealer first asking price. If I do decide to start dealing, I want to know what a fair target price is.

Thanks again. Maybe someone will show up who knows a bit about these particular tractors.

/ DK90 shopping
well, I figured that one out - the reply without quote thing, that is.

/ DK90 shopping #6  
Thanks guys,

Hmmmmm;....how do I reply "without quote"?

Anyway, yes that is what I mean about the control "kicking-out". I may have to order the optional remotes to get that feature????

I saw a post from MBTRAC that was quite positive. I will wait for a bit before trying to chat with him.

I would love to know what the going price on these tractors is.......not the dealer first asking price. If I do decide to start dealing, I want to know what a fair target price is.

Thanks again. Maybe someone will show up who knows a bit about these particular tractors.

I hope somebody who can help you out more does speak up. Again, it may be totally different, but I added additional remote kits to both my CK30 and DK45 and neither one of them have this kick off feature. There's a lot of discussion about people removing the detente from the valve to prevent accidentally dead heading the hydraulics.

I'd send him a PM, no point waiting. Here are a couple more threads to look at and some people to PM while you're at it.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/271916-new-dk90.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/229642-pics-my-dk90.html

/ DK90 shopping #7  
Welcome on board "Holeycow":
Value wise the Daedong/Kioti's are hard to beat, pretty much the same as Korean cars (the Dae's are a lot like the Hyundai Excels of c.10years ago, nothing too flash & does the job fine). They're simple basic machines so should be easy to work on & from those I know who owned them as reliable as any (in theory as a "basic" machine there's less to go wrong), their larger engine (for this class) should be less stressed/marginally less fuel efficient, as I see it what you pay marginally for in extra fuel should be more than offset by increased durability....time will tell.

On our DK1002 the hyd's "kick out" (we have triple remotes fitted) & the PTO engagement is a little harsher (than for example a Deutz) than I would like ideally.

Some observations:
- Prior to our purchase I've inspected a few older Dae's @ up to c.4000hrs+ (apart from the paint which may be owner/application related or a factory shortcoming) they're holding up well.
- Their cabs (on these older machines) seem a little too noisy, a few DBA isn't a show stopper & if it's a concern because of aging/degrading sound attenuation material a set of noise canceling hearing protectors will fix the issue as the tractor ages.
- Fit/Finish is ok some far more expensive machines are better, some worse. Being critical, the control buttons/knobs & cab plastic materials may not hold up well (evident on some older machines but on these units it may be user "abuse" & multiple "paid" operators are hard on the interior, an owner/user should stress the cab less.
- Comfort/Ergonomics is an individual thing so you need to be happy with the "office" , most of the larger Dae's have a cooler/warmer for food which is handy but to me the key factors in a "multipurpose" machine are entry/egress as in just how easy is it to get in/out of the cab (personally the Dae's are a little tight in this regard - maybe I just need to loose weight ? though our farmhands/operators haven't complained) & would be better with wider steps/grab handles/doors etc
- Importantly for us (because of short duration operations) the pull down time of the A/C is good (i.e how quickly on a hot c.38C+ day the cab cools down), though I guess in Canada the Cab heating is going to be more of a consideration.....too :cool: for me

Unlike most we have no brand or dealer "allegiance" we go with whatever brand/spec at the time that best suits & makes commercial sense.
Buying the 100hp Daedong is a good spec/value equation for us even at list price ( as spec'd 16/16 syncro for/rev shuttle with FEL 4/1 list @ the time was c. AUD$62K vs our purchase price of AUD$52.8K less GS tax of 1/11 - at recent exhange rates US$ = 1.02AUD$ ). The dealer/Daedong were keen for our business & have worked hard for us, they are also aware if we're satisfied there's orders for 5x100hp units over the next 12months (with the Daedongs we can purchase 6 tractors for a cost marginally over the 4 x other mainstream brands we had budgeted - 2 extra tractors just means we'll replace another 2 a year ahead of schedule with incremental benefits to offset ) - in this segment new JD's, CNH's are just not cutting it on the value/customer focus equation anymore, so our future intentions are to only buy in the 90-130 HP range Daedongs/Kioti's or Deutz ...we're also exiting our last recent JD header for similar reasons.

So far our DK1002 machine has experienced no faults/downtime & copped more than it's far share of various operator abuse in a few months raking up c.350hrs (& I'm expecting c.4000+hrs of relatively trouble free ownership before it's sold off or relegated to a standby farm hack) it's used as a "utility" machine on one of our irrigation farms on everything from slashing, fencing, hay raking, grading to some heavy duties matched to the subsoiler purchased new at the same time & pictured below:

Attachments

• TBN28032013.jpg
    TBN28032013.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
   / DK90 shopping
Thankyou for all that MBTRAC, you have answered all of my questions most effectively.

/ DK90 shopping #9  
Thankyou for all that MBTRAC, you have answered all of my questions most effectively.

Now that you're here, stick around. We'd love to hear what you learn from your shopping trips and what you end up with.

/ DK90 shopping
based on my research, and MBTRAC's response, I will probably end up with a Kioti DK90. My only reservations are the PTO engagement and the dry clutch. I wish the "DX" series to 100hp was available here.....then there would be no question. I would pay a little more for the wet clutch and 10 more hp, for sure. Marketing strategy is a pain for the consumer sometimes.

I'll keep working on it, and let you guys know what I come up with.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.