What model Kioti would you recommend?

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #1  

oneillmj

Bronze Member
I am looking to buy a new Kioti tractor. I could use some advice about what model you'd think would suit our needs, as follows. We have ten acres of land in western Virginia, about half wooded half pasture. We have a small orchard of about fifteen different fruit trees on part of that pasture. The rest of the pasture has gone to seed over the past ten years and is loaded with weeds, overgrowth, brambles and small trees. One use the tractor would have is to clear the brush and small trees, turn over the soil, and replant the pasture with grass. I would then use it to mow the restored pasture and around the fruit trees. My wife would also like me to grade evenly, and replant, the half acre of lawn in front of the house.

In addition we would use the tractor to maintain our 400 foot gravel driveway and remove the occasional snow. We will be heating the house with an indoor wood boiler and would use the Kioti to haul wood out of our woods to split and move up to the house to stack. There will be other miscellaneous tasks to perform including some other grading, moving some fill dirt and removing some smaller stumps. I haven't figured out how to get the tractor involved in spraying the fruit trees but I'm guessing there must be some attachment appropriate to that task, so that would be one more use to put it to.

So there you have it. This should be my first and last tractor which I will be using into my upcoming retirement just a few years away. I have never owned a tractor, so have some doubts about whether the model I have in mind is suitably sized to the tasks I have listed above. I'd appreciate some advice from you folks with practical tractor experience on what size and model Kioti to get. I've decided on the Kioti brand due to their substantial build, pricing, and having two dealerships nearby. Thanks for any advice.

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #2  
the work you have i'd say a DK-40

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #3  
Well, the CK or DK series will do all of these jobs, it just depends on how fast you want to do them. I would suggest either a CK30 gear or DK40 HST and here's why:

CK30 gear: I had the HST model. They're a beast of a tractor for the hp and will do all the jobs you've described. They are a little smaller than the DK so they'll get in the woods a little easier. I would only buy a CK gear for two reasons. Do a search for sticky hydro pedal here on TBN, you'll find a lot to read. I had the problem and my dealer had to split the tractor and replace the hst. I think it's a very wide ranging issue with these tractors and is enough of a reason to only go gear for me. The other reason for gear is that the CK30 doesn't have enough hp to use the high range and a gear trans. is more efficient and will give you the power you need to move all that weight. I'd choose the CK30 over the CK27 because it's (was) only about an $800 upgrade and I'd choose the CK30 over the CK35 because it's (was) about $2000 less. That said, they are all identical tractors with more or less hp and your local dealer may be able to give you a better deal one model over another based on their stock.

DK40 HST: This is the one I would really recommend, even if you don't really need it. The FEL is 2.5X stronger (I found the KL130 on the CK a little weak), it's 4 cyl vs 3, independent PTO vs Live, much more electronics including 4X4 and gauges, more 3pt cap., steering brakes, draft control and a lot of other smaller differences. For me, a $4K diff. in price is well worth what you get. There have been no reports of HST issues with the 2 pedal set up on the DK verses the rocker pedal on the CK and mine has been perfect. Again, the DK45 and DK50 are the same with more hp and your dealer may be able to get you a better deal on one of those. The DK45 is 4 PTO hp more than the DK40 but only 1.5 PTO hp less than the DK50. I started wanting a DK50, but my dealer could do better on the DK45, and it's really close on the PTO anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S Here's my CK30 HST beside my DK45 HST.

P1017097.JPGP1017094.JPG

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #4  
the work you have i'd say a DK-40[/QUOTE

Agree, or dk45-50 contingent on price differential and your budget.

I heard from my former kioti dealer that there will be a new RX line that will replace the dk line. He also stated that new pricing could be as much as a 30% increase due to tier iv and other changes. Based on the possible projected pricing, if it were me, I'd be looking to buy sooner rather than later.

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #5  
I fully agree with all advice. The difference in price between the largest CK and the smallest DK is not significant but the difference in the capabilities of the two machines is well worth the upgrade.

I think you need to try each one and see which one "feels" the best. As far as implements, the CK will better operate with smaller (ergo less expensive) implements, but smaller means taking longer to complete the task.

Another thing to consider is the inventory of both dealers. Eg. My dealer had my DK40 on the lot since May '12 and was "motivated to move it", vs order me a new tractor.

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #6  
I like my tractor, the loader is great, and its heavy enough to do some decent dirt moving with a box blade. The HST is nice too for tight areas and loader work. No issues so far either, knock on wood.

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #7  
Just chiming in because my needs are very similar to OP. I am looking at the CK35 mainly for price reasons but also becuase it is about size wise at the top of the range i think would be practical for me. I dont want to run any tiller larger than 60" or mower larger than 72" but would make significant use of the loader and a 72" box scraper. So is the consensus that a CK35 would do the job maybe just not as fast and without the lift capaicty of the DK40?

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #8  
Either CK35 or the DK40, gear or HST whichever is your preference.. Sounds like a good bit of bush hogging. There, you'd want to run as much mower as possible and that takes HP. Being mountainous where you are, stability would be a big factor in my choice and I'd go with loaded tires and tire spacers if you can get them.

/ What model Kioti would you recommend? #9  
IMHO the DK40se series tractors are your best bang for your buck.coobie

/ What model Kioti would you recommend?
Thank you all for so much input. I was thinking about the DK40, or the CK 35, if cost gets prohibitive, but being a rookie at this wasn't sure if I was considering a tractor way too big for my needs. I'll remember to avoid the HST if we go with the CK series.

How would you go about converting our overgrown pasture back to grass and what implements would you suggest to go along with a DK40 to help with that job? The pasture is on a fairly gentle slope and the soil contains a lot of clay. What size bush hog do you think would be appropriate to use with a DK40?

Gittyup, our land in Botetourt County does have some slope to it, which is another reason I wanted a heavier tractor. Good call on that score. I'm a little concerned weighted tires might make an already substantial Kioti tractor, too heavy and cause ruts in the pasture. I really don't want to tip over for that matter, either. I'll ask the dealer for advice on that score as he knows the local terrain.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Mike