Out with the CK30... In with the DK40

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #1  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
I bought a used 2006 CK30 TLB several years ago with 298 hrs, it now has about 470 hrs on it. It had an oversized loader bucket on it for snow removal. It worked well for snow removal, but it could barely lift a full load of dirt. The backhoe also had trouble breaking thru a 1" diameter root. The backhoe had the power to toss the tractor all over the place.. but the root just laughed at it. In my research I found that the bucket on the CK was a "material" bucket off of a LK3054 and it had a capacity of 9.3 cu ft, the stock CK30 bucket capacity is 7 cu ft. Add to that a heavy duty QA on the material bucket and no wonder it couldn't lift a full load of dirt. Now knowing this, I'm surprised it actually did as well as it did. So, I wanted more loader lift and a stronger backhoe and I started looking at 40 hp tractors. Green paint is just too expensive, the folks at the local Kubota dealer recommended the L4060. Nice tractor, powerful backhoe, but loader was only marginally more powerful than what I had, 1600 lbs of lift vs the 1100 lbs of lift with the CK30... and it was $8K more expensive than a DK40. The DK has more loader lift, 2700 lbs, but a weaker backhoe than the Kubota. Hmm, the Woods BH90x backhoe is stronger than the Kubota BH.. this sounds like a good combination, DK40 loader with BH90x backhoe. I contacted several Kioti dealers, the most convenient dealer gave me a bottom line quote. I asked him for a more detailed, line item, quote and he never responded. Others gave me a quote, but low-balled the trade in on my CK30.. one offered me $12K for it. I started working with a Kioti dealer 70 miles away, his price for a DK40 w/loader/2nd remote/loaded tires was $24,500. It also included delivery of DK and pickup of CK, free deliver/pickup of tractor for 50 hr service and labor for 50 hr service.. I have to pay for parts. He also gave me the highest amount of trade-in for my CK, $16K. None of the Maine Kioti dealers carry the Woods backhoe, so I worked out a deal with a Kioti dealer in Mass that carried Woods products. I signed the papers for the DK40 on yesterday, the tractor is to be delivered next Friday. :)
I am still deciding on the backhoe. Either the Kioti or the Woods is going to run me around $10K, I found a local place that will rent a smaller excavator for $370/day, free delivery. Makes it hard to justify spending the money for a BH, but it sure is nice to have the convenience of having the BH ready to go anytime I need/want it and not have to juggle my schedule, getting on the rental list and hoping the weather cooperates.

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #2  
You will love the DK40. I have the DK 50SE and it is great fun to use. It can turn on a dime. I opted for the cab over the loader as my older ford has a loader. I miss the loader when it snows but I am so happy when it is haying time and I can use the AC. Enjoy!

I think you need to think hard about the BH. You can do a lot of rentals for 10K. Plus when you rent you tend to be better organized to get the most use out of the BH while you have it. Now if you decide to rent you can leave the BH parked at the work site and use your DK to move the dirt around without moving the BH and that should make your work faster.

I really wanted a BH but talked myself out of it for these reasons. I WANT one but I don't NEED one.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #3  
Great choice,you will be more than happy with your new DK40.coobie

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #4  
Congrats on the decision. You will love it, however, that new trailer you were gonna get won't haul that 7,000+ TLB!

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40
Congrats on the decision. You will love it, however, that new trailer you were gonna get won't haul that 7,000+ TLB!
According to the trailer dealer, the trailer I am looking at is a 20' long and rated for 11,500 lbs... that should be enough. I planned the trailer for hauling the DK not the CK. Although I have only seen pictures of the trailer, it is at a dealer near where I work in MA. I will be looking at it in person next week and I will verify load ratings then.

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #6  
According to the trailer dealer, the trailer I am looking at is a 20' long and rated for 11,500 lbs... that should be enough. I planned the trailer for hauling the DK not the CK. Although I have only seen pictures of the trailer, I will be actually looking at it in person next week and I will verify load ratings then.

Good choice. Just wanted to mention it in case it fell thru the cracks and you got stuck with a trailer that now wont meet your needs. :thumbsup:

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #7  
According to the trailer dealer, the trailer I am looking at is a 20' long and rated for 11,500 lbs... that should be enough. I planned the trailer for hauling the DK not the CK. Although I have only seen pictures of the trailer, it is at a dealer near where I work in MA. I will be looking at it in person next week and I will verify load ratings then.
Sure is fun when a new tractor purchase blossoms into a new trailer purchase.LOL.Did the same myself, went from a 18ft. to a 20ft. when I bought a DK40se back in 2008.

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #8  
Well done, there's quite a difference between the CK and DK series, you'll love the DK40. I used the $$ I had in my backhoe (Woods BH-70X) to trade up to the DK with cab. At first I thought I'd eventually find myself back at the dealer having another Woods BH installed, but I can't see that happening anymore. It would be great to have, but I don't miss it that much. I think I'm a renter now.

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40
Well done, there's quite a difference between the CK and DK series, you'll love the DK40. I used the $$ I had in my backhoe (Woods BH-70X) to trade up to the DK with cab. At first I thought I'd eventually find myself back at the dealer having another Woods BH installed, but I can't see that happening anymore. It would be great to have, but I don't miss it that much. I think I'm a renter now.
I really liked the size of the CK, but after test 'drives' on the DK, it certainly is a step up from the CK, in fit, finish, function. It is like going from a Malibu to a Cadillac. Everything just feels better made, smoother and more refined. Certainly don't need to tell DK owners that though.. they know.
I can't justify the $10K for a backhoe, when I can rent an excavator for less than $400/day. Then I look around our property and see all the stuff we have done with the BH spur of the moment and it has me reconsidering. I have certainly used it more than 25 times in the 4 years I have had it. Which is how many times I could rent the excavator for the cost of the BH. On the other hand, the wife will run the BH, but won't run an excavator. Hmmm.. more reason not to get the BH, no more surprises when I get home from a business trip. For now... I am getting the DK wo/BH and see how much I miss the BH.
Unfortunately, dealer didn't have the 2nd set of remotes in stock so tractor won't be delivered until 19-July. :(

/ Out with the CK30... In with the DK40 #10  
I agree, I really liked the size of my CK30. I moved up from a JD 955 (33 hp but only about 1800#) and the CK30 seemed like a huge tank of a tractor, but I adjusted quickly. I had lots of issues with the CK30 and moved to the DK45. On paper, it doesn't seem much bigger, but when I got in the seat I definitely thought I'd made a mistake and this thing was just WAY to big for my little 3 acre lot. Well, it didn't take long to adjust to the DK45 either and I now think it's just right. I don't want a bigger tractor, and I still think the CK30 was a nice size, but I love pretty much everything about the DK. The FEL is what I use most with a tractor, and I don't know another brand that can come close to the KL401 in that size of machine, it's simply awesome.