Buying Advice To Cab or Not to Cab

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #1  

Athrawn17

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST w/Cab, Ford 8N
I have things narrowed down to a DK40 ROPS, which the dealer will have to order, or a DK45 CAB which the dealer has on site.

Because he has it on site, the difference between the two is $4000.

What I am wondering is those that have ROPS, do you wish you have gotten the CAB? And those with a CAB, have you had issues and would rather just gotten a ROPS?

I live in the wonderful state of Minnesota, so a cab would help with the large flying birds we call mosquitos. It would also help with the -30 degree weather that we call winter. But, there is a catch. The catch is that on my 10 acres, 4 are medium wooded. I could probably drive the CAB around in it, but high probability of branches damaging the CAB.

So my debate is for the 4 grand, is it worth it. Note that I've always operated tractors with an open seat, so the CAB is definitely a luxury in my mind. I'm still a young guy (34) so I can handle the elements for a few more years :D I could also take the 4k and buy a smaller mower for the property for trim work and getting in the woods.

So...thoughts?

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #2  
Get the CAB, you can always remove the doors in summer if you like. Adding one later will cost you more than 4K. Chainsaw is a great thing for removing low hanging limbs. In winter, you will thank yourself every single day you plow snow.

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #3  
I went with the DK45 ROPS, could n't swallow the 5k extra I was quoted for the cab. Same concern as you, i have a bunch of woods to work in, and didn't want to scratch up the glass. Still want a cab though, so there is that...

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #4  
   / To Cab or Not to Cab #5  
I am almost double your age +/- 6 months and I have a cab for the heat in winter. I had an open station tractor for years when I was younger and I don't miss it one bit.
You could make up a set of limb risers for the tractor if you are that concerned about tree branches. Or just cut the limbs off. IF I ever buy another tractor it will definitely have a cab.

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #6  
Get the cab. Not only will you not regret it, you will have a grin on your face every time you use your tractor. Snow, wind chill, oppressive heat, dust, bees and wasps etc won't stop you. Another thing that doesn't 't get mentioned much is you keep the operators station out of the elements. All those switches, controls, seats, dash etc stay clean and dry.

There is only a couple of inches difference in height between the ROPS and cab so trimming your trails is really not that different. I bought one of those "chainsaws on a stick" and it works great for clearing the trails higher than the cab.

I would rather a rogue limb or tree break the glass than put an eye out or worse, just buy the extra insurance! And if you ever trade it in the value will still be there, it's a win-win situation.

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #7  
Buy the cab and trim your woods roads wider. I'm currently trying to sell my rops tractor so I can buy a larger cab tractor.

/ To Cab or Not to Cab #8  
Get the cab. If a limb is in your way cut it off four inches above the ground and add it to the wood pile.:rolleyes:

/ To Cab or Not to Cab
Thanks for the advice everyone. Going to call the dealer up today and get the CAB