NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
For a few months I've been considering going to something with a cab for a couple of reasons. One, I have pretty bad allergies, and spending all day on an open station tractor doesn't help. Two, after this past winter I'm considering adding a rear pull-type snow thrower, and heat would a nice feature! Three, it gets surprisingly hot here, and there were a few days last year where I honestly got close to heat exhaustion because I was dumb, and AC would have made a big difference. Four, I have to be careful about my hearing (I'm a competitive shooter, and firearms instructor), so I wear hearing protection when I'm on the tractor and I can't hear my cellphone, or walkie talkie. I'm technically on-call pretty much 24/7 and I've missed calls when I'm on the tractor. So, with all that said, I started considering making the switch.

I wanted to stay close to 40hp PTO (my MF has 45hp PTO), and have a loader at least as strong as the one on my LS. My other loader criteria was that I wanted a loader that would go higher than the one on my LS as that's the only thing I've ever really had an issue with. I have access to my neighbors small 6-wheel dump truck and the LS could just barely manage to load it. HST is almost a mandatory requirement for me. I could probably live with a power shuttle, but I really don't have any experience with them, so I'm not so sure. My wife will drive my LS, but I don't think she would drive anything with a power shuttle, even though she's driven cars with manual transmissions for years.

With all of that said, it eliminated LS because they don't have anything with HST that has a loader with higher max lift. For various other reasons, I eliminated all the other brands (no dealers nearby, price, etc) except Kioti. There are essentially no DK cab models available new anywhere, so I'm looking at the NX models. Yesterday I visited Michigan Iron and Equipment, and Bob let me put a few minutes on the NX4510 HSTC he has on the lot. I would get the 5010 for the higher PTO power, but they are the same machine other than engine details.

Initial impressions are that it's a typically nice Kioti, with good fit and finish all around. I was surprised how small the 10-16.5 and 14.9-24 tires looked compared to the larger 12-16.5 and 17.5-24 tires on my LS, but I'm sure that goes away with time. A quick look around the outside reminded me a lot of the DK series, but they have switched the 3pt pistons to external units, which probably has some benefits if they need service/repair. They also moved the hydraulic couplings for the loader higher, and closer to the cab from what I recall on the DKs, and it looks like they would be less likely to be damaged by tree branches, stuff that gets kicked up underneath the machine, etc. I can't recall how the HST filter is oriented on the DK series, but the NX has the filter facing backwards, with the large supply lines forward protecting it from damage. My LS has the filter facing forward, and I always thought it should have a guard underneath, and in front of it. The fuel tank location was also convenient being down near the left side step. I worry it's more vulnerable to damage, but a lot easier to access.

One weird thing is that the FEL bucket looked small to me. I'm not sure why, because the dimensions are very close to what I measured on my LS, but it just seemed like it was shallow, from front to back...could be the tooth bar on my LS bucket makes it look much larger. That's not a big deal, but if a smaller bucket means more trips, it would be unfortunate considering the loader is more capable.

The cab was very nice. I'm not a tall guy, but I think people with really long legs might want a little more rear travel on the seat, and a little more room between the brake pedals and the seat. I left the seat all the way back when I ran the machine, and my left foot was still pretty close to the brake pedals. I think they may have moved them inboard somewhat to make getting in the cab easier, so at least you aren't falling down trying to get to the seat. Speaking of those pedals, they looked a bit cheap compared with the pedals on my LS...not a big deal, but interesting. The control layout was good, and they have included an arm rest on the right side so you don't have your arm hanging in the breeze when operating the loader, which is nice. The differential lock was a beefy piece of steel you operate with your left heel...much more substantial than what I've seen on other machines.

The overall fit and finish of the materials was nice and probably a step up from my LS, and the DK series. I couldn't find fault with where the controls were...nothing seemed in an unusual, or awkward place, which is a plus. The overall layout was one I'm sure I would be happy with. I was fumbling looking for things, but that's just lack of familiarity, not bad placement. I do have a minor concern with the 4wd switch being electronic, rather than mechanical, but I know that's the norm these days. I did note that the loader arm height, shape, and placement blocks more of the forward view than what I see on my LS, but part of that is why it will go higher...not a big deal, but something interesting. The hood seems a touch lower, and flatter, and gives a nice view directly forward. One nice feature I never thought about (not sure how common it is) was that the rear corner windows open if you want some fresh air.

With the doors closed, it seemed pretty quiet in the cab, and I could definitely get used to that. I didn't even think to turn on the AC or heat...duh right? The linked throttle was nice, and seemed like it would be handy, or at least more economical. I can envision times when you'd want the throttle set higher for faster cycle times on the FEL, but that's as easy as flipping a switch, and setting the throttle manually. For some folks the ground speed cruise control might be handy, but it's not hilly here, so I'm not sure it matters to me.

There were a few interesting observations about standard equipment compared with the DK series. Remotes, the rear wiper, and stereo are all optional. The brochure says the rear view mirror is optional, but it was on the machine, and Bob didn't mention it as an added charge. I was quoted $290 installed for the first remote, and $309 for the second (add $15-20 if you want them with detent feature). The rear wiper was $149, and the stereo is $265.

Bob quoted me $29,970 for the NX4510 HSTC, and $31,308 for the NX5010 HSTC. I didn't ask about the 5510 or 6010 as I've sort of mentally set a limit of around $32K. The one thing sort of gnawing at me is that there was an RX6010 power shuttle parked twenty feet away, and the added capability, loader height/power, etc would really be handy....I'm always thinking "what if?" and considering something a little larger!

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review
I did forget one thing. The HST range selector is just as balky as the one on the DK series. Before I went anywhere Bob put it in middle range, and when I hit the pedal it didn't move. I wiggled the selector fore and aft, and felt it engage. I'm not sure why they stick with this design because it's been noted many times to be sort of clunky. It's not a huge issue, but one of those little things you'd hope they would clean up when releasing a new model.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #3  
The range selectors are a little balky when new, but mine has "slicked up" now and is quite smooth. The electric/hydraulic 4wd selector is really quite nice to operate, and I operate it a lot, as I am often going from loose ground to paved surface and put in on and off a lot. It is much more convenient to operate over the balky pull/push lever I had on my last Kubota.
So you are going to "weenie out" and get a cab huh :D They sure are nice aren't they!
But without dirt/pollen in your snoot, and bugs in your teeth, and not to mention those stinging bastich's and those dang biting horseflies... I dunno.. I am not sure it is real tractor operation.:D

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #4  
With linked pedal you can still turn the throttle up some for hydraulic flow.

With linked pedal you can still turn the throttle up some for hydraulic flow.

Cool...I wondered about that afterwards.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #6  
Good review GManBart.If you end up buying a Kioti you can,t go wrong with Michigan Iron & Equipment.Bob,denise & Tony are great folks to do business with.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #7  
Wow, haven't been on here for a few days (temporary obsessive compulsive Boat research:eek:) nice review Bart, I wish we had a Michigan Iron and Equipment out here, they sound like great folks that are doing the Kioti thing the right way:thumbsup:

I just found out the other day my dealer doesn't sell Kioti any more:thumbdown:.

Good luck, and keep us updated, the NX looks like a nice machine, I do think that Kioti should have kept the rear remote, stereo, rear wiper etc standard like on the DK, to me that was a big plus when I bought.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #8  
I just want to say Keith at budds all tractor in Jackson provides excellent service also. I know several people that have bought new tractors from him and all of them are thrilled that Keith went above and beyond what they would consider excellent customer service. I have met Bob at MIE and thought well of him also.

/ NX4510 and NX5010 pricing and review #9  
Bart, is the external 3 point lift lever still there on the back of the tractor like the one on the DK series?

I'd be tempted by the RX6010 power shuttle. I love the HST, but I think I could get used to the power shuttle. When I was shopping, I would have bought the LS5020 or 5030 if it had a power shuttle instead of a regular shuttle.

Bart, is the external 3 point lift lever still there on the back of the tractor like the one on the DK series?

I'd be tempted by the RX6010 power shuttle. I love the HST, but I think I could get used to the power shuttle. When I was shopping, I would have bought the LS5020 or 5030 if it had a power shuttle instead of a regular shuttle.

Yes, the external 3pt lever is still there...love that feature.

I think I could live with a power shuttle...not my first choice, but not bad. I'm pretty confident my wife wouldn't be willing to give it a try. The other negative to the RX is that it would be pushing my max towing capability with my truck. With the FEL, and my 3pt counterweight, I'd be looking at 8,400lbs. I'm still trailer shopping (slowly) but I'm looking at 14K trailers that weigh around 2,500lbs, which would might put me a couple of hundred pounds over max towing limits.

Decisions, decisions...