My NX6010

/ My NX6010
I got sidetracked by a neighbor who popped in just as I came out to fiddle with the tractor this afternoon, and so I did not get as much done as I had planned. Notwithstanding, I did get some things done.

The only way to make two extra line connections fit is to assemble everything on the bench and then feed the lines in.

10515282_10202724349409379_1570451177107172198_o.j  pg

With everything assembled, it is a tight fit. Even so, I may change the bracket design for the third time if I cannot get the softlines routed to the loader correctly.

10355690_10202724355889541_5680337758628071363_o.j  pg

Something NX series owners should take note of: while wiring in the 3rd fuction connections, I popped out a bolt that was holding an existing ground connection on top of the transmission housing directly under the seat. 6 months old and look at the electrolytic corrosion on this bolt. I cleaned this up and greased it and earlier I noted corrosion on the starter contacts. I think I'll add a sacrificial anode to limit this nonsense.

10477119_10202724366889816_981535122140594866_o.jp  g

And I made a short video of the all-important blinking lights.

/ My NX6010
Today I finally hooked up the hydraulic lines to the top ram on the three point.

10577092_10202730215156019_6494094703083439091_n.j  pg

Poured in three gallons of Mobil 424, which is what I estimated leaked out into catch cans over the last six weeks while sitting on my driveway.

16275_10202730222676207_8967273539333962341_n.jpg

I buttoned up the hydro lines I wanted to protect from rubbing and finished taping up the wiring harness I made, and buttoned it all up in anticipation of my moment of triumph: Starting the engine to leak test and function test!

With my 88-year-old mother over-looking, I turned the key to start the engine, and click, nothing. I turn the key again, Click, nothing. Thinking some nanny switch was fowling the fun, I checked them all: outta gear in neutral, PTO switch off. Mid PTO lever off, parking brake set, seat safety switch still perma-hot-wired. Click, nothing.

Well, son-of-a….

My mother lost interest, and wondered off to sit down saying as she did so, "Well, you're the mechanic."

It is at these times I suddenly feel like the Asian guy in the movie Hot Dog who doesn't know what a Chinese Downhill is, since I am a mechanic and am supposed to know what is going on.

Anyway, I determined that the water in fuel sensor wasn't sending a signal to the ECU. Zero help from the service manual since my system is totally different than what is pictured. I don't know what went wrong with the sensor, if a couple of hundred key-on, but no start cycles did something while I was testing wires and signals, or if it is just a bad sensor, but eventually I got the stupid thing to talk to the ECU, so I could start the engine.

A bit anti-clamatic. No leaks, all functions okay.

13912_10202730257477077_839012631188540629_n.jpg

Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #103  
Eric,nice job on your tractor.I am curious though,would any this work you have doing void your kioti warrenty?

/ My NX6010
Eric,nice job on your tractor.I am curious though,would any this work you have doing void your kioti warrenty?

I do not see how it could.

That said, I'm still not done. I need to add two flexible soft lines and the hard lines on the loader as well as the QDs at the end.

/ My NX6010 #105  
Although I removed the rubber boot and put a 12mm and 19mm wrenches on the joystick shaft in order to loosen the locknut and remove the shaft so I could drill out new mounting holes for the new handle, that little voice inside of me said I was about to break lugs off of the joystick twisting on the 12mm. As a result, I needed to find an alternative jig in order to hold the round stock shaft straight so I could drill it. A 5/8" hole through a saw horse, and I had my jig.

Brilliant idea.

/ My NX6010 #106  
Nice, Eric. That's a great feeling when the pressure comes up and nothing leaks. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to see how you configure the hard and soft lines to the FEL QA for your 3rd function.

I like the sock on the two hydraulic hoses to your toplink. Very tidy. Did you order that online or find it locally?

/ My NX6010
Nice, Eric. That's a great feeling when the pressure comes up and nothing leaks. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to see how you configure the hard and soft lines to the FEL QA for your 3rd function.

I like the sock on the two hydraulic hoses to your toplink. Very tidy. Did you order that online or find it locally?

Locally but so you know, it is a 1.78" (1.75"?) sock.

Looks like the sensor or the wiring to the sensor is suspect as I'm not starting again. The sensor is one of those things that was messed with by the dealer when they spun off the filter to add the inline fuel heater. Because of the design of a bracket right next to the fuel filter, if you spin off either the fuel filter or the water in fuel sensor, the water sensor's pigtail gets trapped and can stress the wiring of the sensor if you do not see it catch and free it. I'm wondering if the pigtail did get trapped and damaged and has had six weeks to corrode up in our humidity. How I got the sensor to work yesterday was by pulling it out, getting it soaked in diesel fuel and then screwing it back in (just as you'd clear water in the fuel filter). Of course, it could just be a bad part, but until yesterday, I didn't mess with it and the machine appeared fine six weeks ago when I parked it.

Meanwhile up on the dash, the hour meter displays an ERR-008 code: no signal from water sensor which is completely useless because the service manual says nothing, not a thing about the ERR codes that can be displayed in the hour meter (cf. p. 4-32 in your owner's manual).

Anyway, all to say I've got a tractor that doesn't start again unless I (apparently) mess with its water in fuel sensor.

I installed the stock seat today. I was going to do more, but the sensor issue stopped those plans and so I'll call the dealer Monday as they have service bulletin updates that I don't have access to.

Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #108  
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, works for most computers or at least worth a try to cold boot the 0 & 1's

/ My NX6010
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, works for most computers or at least worth a try to cold boot the 0 & 1's

No, I have not disconnected the battery. To the best of my knowledge the fault isn't a computer problem, it is the ECU saying, "I don't see the water sensor so incase there is no fuel, I'm protecting the expensive fuel pump by not starting." Because it rained all day, I have not had a chance to ohm out the sensor, or look for opens, but as it stands, right now, I think it is a most-likely a flakey sensor. Ay any-rate, I'll talk to my dealer Monday, listen to what they say, and act on it.

/ My NX6010
As it turns out, since the dealer cannot hook up their laptop to confirm or deny any faults, I eat the cost of "battle-shipping" the sensor by ordering in a new water-in-fuel sensor drop shipped to me.

If the same fault continues after I install a new sensor, only then do I have justification to drop the tractor off at the dealer so they can track down the open with the benefit of their ability to talk to the ECU that I do not have.

I'd like to get my hands on the laptop software since there is no procedure to test the water-in-fuel sensor (also called the moisture sensor) in the service manual.