My NX6010

/ My NX6010 #641  
Great video on the grapple. BTW, in addition to dodging a bullet with the hydraulics, as you said, you also pioneered a new use for attached hydraulic lines: Emergency tow cables. :)

Is that your Sis with you in the fire-starting video? It's great that she can help with that. Agree with Murph on the audio. Music's great, but your Sound Engineer needs to modulate the volume during the conversations so we don't miss anything. ;)

/ My NX6010 #642  
Oh man looks like if your going to be using a grapple around fire need to rig up some safety chains / wires to prevent the levers from coming loose. Those hydraulic lines look to have a fairly high tensile strength. I keep my eye on them in the future for leaks or buldges. You definitely dodged a bullet on that one. I popped a fork off my loader frame once after i got the tip trapped under a brace on a dumpster.

/ My NX6010
Great video on the grapple. BTW, in addition to dodging a bullet with the hydraulics, as you said, you also pioneered a new use for attached hydraulic lines: Emergency tow cables. :)

Is that your Sis with you in the fire-starting video? It's great that she can help with that. Agree with Murph on the audio. Music's great, but your Sound Engineer needs to modulate the volume during the conversations so we don't miss anything. ;)

I was being "arty" and intensionally thought the music ("Fireside Favourites" by Groove Armada) was better than most of the mundane discussion about a drainage issue we had just discovered. Anyway, yes, that is my sister, Ann. She lives in the area and is a great help in land management activities.

/ My NX6010
Wow, Eric, what kind of bench is that vise attached to? :eek:

A few weeks ago I managed to bend a 1/2"-thick skid-shoe mounting bracket on a Woods HBL84 scrape blade. I backed into the corner of a frozen retaining timber while moving snow. Was thinking of doing something like you did, with the blade still mounted, using a come-along for fine control and some heat. I'll post up a separate thread on that for suggestions when I have a chance to snap some pics.

I got my engineering vice with pivoting head and turntable vice for $50.00 out of Northern Tool 25 years ago. It is bolted to a 8' workbench that I made for my first house back in 1998.

And a random NX photo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11034448_10204029045425964_7210320848188161579_o.jpg
    11034448_10204029045425964_7210320848188161579_o.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #645  
Eric,
I gotta say, I wish I had about 20 percent of your tractor IQ. I have followed this thread from start to finish. You are doing things to your tractor that I would not even dare to attempt. Pictures and vid's are great. Good luck on your clearing job.

/ My NX6010
In anticipation of using the new BB4284 Frontier looks-like-its-made-by-Gannon box scraper, and experiencing sticker-shock, I started looking for a ram to use as a tilt cylinder with clevis on top and bottom.

Kioti uses that awful metric pin rather than a readily available 1" pin. Collapsed, center to center on the pins, my adjustable side link measures 16.5", extended 19.75" while the fixed side measured 17.25" center to center. So basically any 3" bore cylinder with top and bottom clevis ends that could collapse down to 16.5" with 1" pins would do as I'm willing to hog that metric junk out of existence. Trouble is that I couldn't find any cylinders with a 3" or 4" tongue length clevis on the bottom end, just 1.8" clevis ends. Since I'm back down in the Twin Cities again and not with my tractor in northern MN, I couldn't measure to see if 1.8" would work. As a result, I ordered a cylinder out of MIE (but with a bigger bore than they sell for the DXs) and will add my own inline check valves and hoses.

If you measure and believe a 1.8" clevis end would work, and you're willing to hog out Kioti's metric links to 1", then this is the cylinder you want for an NX5510 and NX6010.

<Edited out the flaw in my thinking that Country pointed out>

Last edited:
   / My NX6010 #647  
Double check the check valves your ordering, the link you posted are single direction only so those won't work.

/ My NX6010 #648  
In anticipation of using the new BB4284 Frontier looks-like-its-made-by-Gannon box scraper, and experiencing sticker-shock, I started looking for a ram to use as a tilt cylinder with clevis on top and bottom.

Kioti uses that awful metric pin rather than a readily available 1" pin. Collapsed, center to center on the pins, my adjustable side link measures 16.5", extended 19.75" while the fixed side measured 17.25" center to center. So basically any 3" bore cylinder with top and bottom clevis ends that could collapse down to 16.5" with 1" pins would do as I'm willing to hog that metric junk out of existence. Trouble is that I couldn't find any cylinders with a 3" or 4" tongue length clevis on the bottom end, just 1.8" clevis ends. Since I'm back down in the Twin Cities again and not with my tractor in northern MN, I couldn't measure to see if 1.8" would work. As a result, I ordered a cylinder out of MIE (but with a bigger bore than they sell for the DXs) and will add my own inline check valves and hoses.

If you measure and believe a 1.8" clevis end would work, and you're willing to hog out Kioti's metric links to 1", then this is the cylinder you want for an NX5510 and NX6010.

Given the weight of the box scraper and my BB720X rotary cutter, I really want check valves to prevent cylinder drift. The least expensive inline check valves I found are through Bailey. Bailey sells the NPT valves through Amazon, but not the SAE valves. The cylinder from MIE is going to be SAE 8, I guess, which means I'll need adaptors to make it into 3/8" NPT (no reason to run 1/2" hose).

Eric do you think its made by gannon or just a clone made by frontier? The tower , clevis attachments have distinct differences from my gannon and others I've looked at. I dont think any of the newer gannon hydraulics are actually quick hitch compatible cant speak for the older ones. My 88hsd was marketed as Cat QH compatible i proved that wrong and called gannon. Its no longer marketed this way

/ My NX6010
Double check the check valves your ordering, the link you posted are single direction only so those won't work.

Wow, I missed the obvious. You're right. I started out thinking I needed a locking valve and then somehow got it in my mind that a check valve would work and forgot the plot. Duh. Here are the links I had saved for locking valve that use pilot pressure to unlock double acting rams. Thank you for the realty check!

Here is Parker's locking valve.

Surplus has one too.

Alternative 6" stoke 3" bore with 2.125" tongue clevises.

Last edited:
   / My NX6010
Eric do you think its made by gannon or just a clone made by frontier? The tower , clevis attachments have distinct differences from my gannon and others I've looked at. I dont think any of the newer gannon hydraulics are actually quick hitch compatible cant speak for the older ones. My 88hsd was marketed as Cat QH compatible i proved that wrong and called gannon. Its no longer marketed this way

Frontier's old BB1284 looked like a dead on copy of Gannon's 84HD. My conjecture (so, no, I'm not sure) is that Frontier wanted the changes to work with the Quick Hitch and that Gannon is making them for Frontier (Woods seems to be the go-to company for factory knock-off attachments). The tailgate is different and is a little cheaper than Gannon's design. If not a Gannon, the design is inspired by Gannon. What I can say is that the Frontier new costs more than the Gannon as my buddy told his cost and then said he need to make some money (understandable) and charge me shipping, and that if I could find out if it worked with a Quick Hitch, I should buy the used one in Belle Plane and he's sell me parts as needed for it.

Last edited: