CK2510-CK27

/ CK2510-CK27 #1  

erda

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
So, I've been looking and reading for a while and 'think' I've narrowed down to these two. (I had originally been looking at the 2410 but have concluded that it might be too small for some of the loader work.)

The main differences that I can see are size, and some lifting capability (and cost). I'm looking to purchase the tractor with FEL and front mount snowblower to begin with and later add a mower.

I am curious if the 27 is too big for mowing lawn. Also, can both machines be equipped with a grapple (third function valve)? Any other differences that I've overlooked?

Thanks.

/ CK2510-CK27 #3  
A CK27 is no longer available. CK2510 is your next jump, then a CK30 which is same size of a 27.
Mid decks not available for those models.

/ CK2510-CK27 #4  
I have a CK35, same size & weight as the CK27, and 30. I mow with a 60in Finish mower, no problem at all. Because of the Tractor weight you can't get on the lawn early in the spring or when it get wet in the fall. All summer long no problem, it's a mowing machine. I moved up from a CK20, a great little tractor but snow blowing pushed it to the limits. I looked very hard at the 2510, but figured for the few extra bucks I might as well have the bigger tractor and more HP. So far so good....

/ CK2510-CK27 #5  
Another data point: I have a CK25 with loader and loaded R4's. It tears up the yard pretty good if it's wet. I took it into my vegetable garden for some work and it really compacted the soil. Though I was working over the same small area back and forth a lot. Some of depends on your soil and weather conditions.

If mowing with it, I would not load the tires and go with turf treads. They are better on the lawn and in the snow. Of course, you give up some ground engagement performance by not loading the tires. R4's, btw, are not very good in the mud (barely better than turfs). Here you want R1s. But, these can really rut your lawn.

My CK, as heavy as it is, is terrible in the snow. I mow and plow snow with a JD X739, which is far superior at both tasks, at least in my situation.

/ CK2510-CK27
A CK27 is no longer available. CK2510 is your next jump, then a CK30 which is same size of a 27.
Mid decks not available for those models.

Good to know. Thanks.

/ CK2510-CK27
My CK, as heavy as it is, is terrible in the snow. I mow and plow snow with a JD X739, which is far superior at both tasks, at least in my situation.
I'm interested in why you say that? I currently have an old JD318 that's used for mowing, blowing, and tilling.

/ CK2510-CK27 #8  
I'm interested in why you say that? I currently have an old JD318 that's used for mowing, blowing, and tilling.

Which part don't you understand? My experience with my CK is that it has poor traction in the snow. It's a 5000 lb tractor. I expected better, but not the case. I've gotten it stuck on fairly flat ground.

The X739 will go up steep hills in deep snow without chains (but with 400 lbs of weights). I can easily push 16" of snow with the plow on the JD, and push it sideways if I need to with the AWS. With some finesse, I can push 24" piles too. A 318 is a similar tractor without 4WD, very much like my old 425 (maybe a 455 is the closest to a 318). The 425 was also excellent in the snow as long as I had chains on it. I'm sure your 318 works very good too. I got rid of the 425 simply because I got tired of putting the chains on/off. Love the X739: powerful, agile, accurate, fits almost anywhere.... and no chains. BTW, it cuts grass, plug aerates, pulls a 1 ton trailer, carries 400 lb sprayer, and a leaf catcher quite nicely too. Much better choice for a lawn than a CK. It'll mow and snow plow circles around the Kioti. In plowing situations, the CK might be better on really large and long drives if you can get enough traction to use it. I think it's the tires largely. The CK has R4's (sorry I didn't get R1s); turfs would be better in the snow. The X739 has HDAP tires. They are bad_ss. They need to make something like them for the smaller CUTS.

The Kioti is excellent at ground work though. If you want to use a loader or backhoe, no substitute for weight. Same for heavy ground engagement: field plow, boxblade, etc. I love my Kioti, but not for mowing especially. For mowing and snow, the X739 is like the Tasmanian devil.

/ CK2510-CK27 #9  
I will add that on the CK30 and CK35 you can put a little wider mower behind it than you can under a JD X-series. I think 60" in is the largest belly mower on the X, and that would probably be max on its 3PH too. However, you could put at 72" finish mower behind the CKs. This would be faster in open spaces, like large fields with few obstacles or tight corners. But, it the space is highly technical where a big deck isn't practical, the GTs are better, faster mower and easier on the lawn.

My conclusion is that the optimum solution is two machines: an earth mover and an garden tractor. Kind of "the right tool for the right job" mantra. Many don't have that luxury due to budget and/or storage space, which leads to a compromised tractor. If I had to go this route, I'd look at the lighter tractors where you can add/remove weight more easily. I'd also look for short wheelbase to increase mobility. There are a number of choices out there that are "better" than Kioti in that regard. This is the niche filled by SCUTS, largely. Now OTOH, if you want an earth mover, Kiotis are hard to beat. That's why I own one.

/ CK2510-CK27 #10  
It is his R-4 tires.
They suck in snow/ice.
Without chains my DK 35 with R-4 tires was helpless in snow.
I run 4 link ladder chains on all 4 for snow plowing and it goes great.