NX5510 initial observations

/ NX5510 initial observations #1  

DeanFM

Tractor
Kioti NX5510, Kubota ZD326, (formerly owned Kubota B2910 and L3240)
Just brought home a NX5510 HST-Cab, (options are filled R-4s and 3rdFV). I have benefitted from the discussions in this forum, and thought I would pass along some initial operator observations.

ENGINE: Rated for 55hp, but doesn't really feel like it is producing that, in the sense that it doesn't thunder and shake the way I expected a 50+hp diesel to. 3 Cyl, CRDI, is smooth running relative to other diesel tractors I have had. No smoke on startup, no diesel fumes, no particulate. Thought I smelled urea, but it does not use any. There is controversy about the T4 standard, but I never really liked breathing in all the diesel exhaust from my other tractors. So T4 is kind of an upgrade to me, even with the extra cost.

POWERTRAIN and wheelbase do an excellent job of transferring power to the ground. I was driving it around in slush, snow, and frozen ground up and down steep hills. Did well, heavy and sure footed. VERY difficult action on the range selector. I hope this eases up a bit as it breaks in, or perhaps it needs adjustment. I am able to hold PTO speed uphill in Medium range on 15 to 20 degree slope, which is one of my primary applications. I maintain 25 acres of mostly hillside pasture that flattens out to woods and creek at the bottom, so I spend a lot of time going up and down. I do not think the NX4510 or 5010 would have had enough HP to do this without loosing too much ground speed to be practical. The cost difference between the models was just over $1000 in 5hp increments, until you get to NX6010 which adds a turbo.

CAB: Fairly quiet, considering what it is. Seat is comfortable and the controls are (mostly) all ergonomically located to the front and right side. Throttle is perfectly placed down and to the right of the FEL control lever (the FEL lock feels cheap). Instrumentation is sharp, and appears to be LED backlit. Would be nice if there were more to it, though? just 3 simple gauges - Fuel, Tach, Temp, an Hour meter, and some indicator lights. A display for MPH, and PTO rotation speed would be nice to have since they were handy on my last Kubota. There is a right armrest, but no left one (?) The side window openers are extremely cheap plastic and certain to break with the slightest force. There is only one cheap strut on the rear glass. Some control switches are on the pillar, others on a console to the right elbow. I like front facing controls, so I would prefer them on the front headliner, but they aren't poorly located now. This is an improvement over my reference Kubota which put a lot of controls below or behind the steering wheel. It was awkward to reach those.

EXTERIOR: Very smartly styled, new hood and headlamps. While I like the convenience of having the fuel fill neck at knee level.. I am already concerned about damaging the tank or mount with ground obstructions. The support for the fuel tank is weak and cheap. A very thoughtful second lift lever behind the tractor to control lower arms while putting on an implement. Tail lights have moved off the fender up to the cab pillar, and replaced with reflective sticker. While this is an improvement of function, I liked the old look better, and may try to find something to put there. There is also a small plastic insert on the right fender that looks like a place keeper for inching forward or backward, like on a JD maybe?

FEL is strong enough, but a noticeably slower than my L3240 Kubota.

Things I intend to install/modify:
  1. Bluetooth stereo so I can listen to podcasts and take handsfree calls.
  2. Ambient LED interior lights, because I think they are cool in cars.
  3. A buddy seat
  4. Places to store stuff, a toolbox area or platform somewhere in the cab. There are a few spots that I wish Kioti had thought to put a cubby instead of the dead space that is there.
  5. The stock front and rear working lights are surprisingly good. I had assumed they would need upgrade, and had started research, but it won't be necessary now. Took it out last night, and it lit up everything I need to see.
  6. Plastic shroud below the FEL controller is not snug and vibrates. I will take apart and put in some weatherstrip to arrest the noise.
  7. Need to get Cat 1 to Cat 2 bushings for my Cat 1 implements. 5510 came with Cat2 3PH.
  8. iPhone mount and charging cradle
  9. Two way handheld radio mount.

This tractor replaces my Kubota L3240 HST. Besides the 2 obvious differences (open station vs cab) and horsepower (34 vs 55), they are very similar tractors. Frame size, wheel and tire size, weight, hydraulic flow, etc. Plus, it's orange. I already have a bunch of orange and black implements and I really like symmetry. This is not important to some, but it would have bugged me driving a blue tractor pulling an orange bush hog. The Kioti turns a tighter radius, but this may mean the Kubota is more stable. Will measure and post an update on that.

I will post some pictures in a few days. I want to take some of the NX5510 sitting next to my L3240 for comparison. They have a lot of similarities, and I considered the Kubota L5460 Cab, but couldn't defend the cost difference for my intended use.

Dean

/ NX5510 initial observations #2  
Good review. Did you check if the 5510 has a turbo? From the service data, I'm pretty sure it does.
My NX6010 range selector shifts very easily into H, getting it into M sometimes takes some slight pressure on one of the directional pedals.

/ NX5510 initial observations #3  
My 5510 has a turbo. I changed out the armrest with a set of adjustable KAB brand. I looked at a left armrest from a LS XR4046, should have been a direct bolt on from what I could tell but the few places I tried to ordered from , said they were unavailable, I like the others better know anyway. I too am going to build a small buddy seat I'm sure my two boys will want to ride now and then. I was setting on the fenders of our tractors growing up any time they were running. :)

Sounds like we both went from the same tractor setup to the new setup, other than mine is a shuttle not HST.

/ NX5510 initial observations #4  
Nice review, congrats on the new tractor and enjoy!

/ NX5510 initial observations #5  
Just brought home a NX5510 HST-Cab, (options are filled R-4s and 3rdFV). I have benefitted from the discussions in this forum, and thought I would pass along some initial operator observations.

ENGINE: Rated for 55hp, but doesn't really feel like it is producing that, in the sense that it doesn't thunder and shake the way I expected a 50+hp diesel to. 3 Cyl, CRDI, is smooth running relative to other diesel tractors I have had. No smoke on startup, no diesel fumes, no particulate. Thought I smelled urea, but it does not use any. There is controversy about the T4 standard, but I never really liked breathing in all the diesel exhaust from my other tractors. So T4 is kind of an upgrade to me, even with the extra cost.

POWERTRAIN and wheelbase do an excellent job of transferring power to the ground. I was driving it around in slush, snow, and frozen ground up and down steep hills. Did well, heavy and sure footed. VERY difficult action on the range selector. I hope this eases up a bit as it breaks in, or perhaps it needs adjustment. I am able to hold PTO speed uphill in Medium range on 15 to 20 degree slope, which is one of my primary applications. I maintain 25 acres of mostly hillside pasture that flattens out to woods and creek at the bottom, so I spend a lot of time going up and down. I do not think the NX4510 or 5010 would have had enough HP to do this without loosing too much ground speed to be practical. The cost difference between the models was just over $1000 in 5hp increments, until you get to NX6010 which adds a turbo.

CAB: Fairly quiet, considering what it is. Seat is comfortable and the controls are (mostly) all ergonomically located to the front and right side. Throttle is perfectly placed down and to the right of the FEL control lever (the FEL lock feels cheap). Instrumentation is sharp, and appears to be LED backlit. Would be nice if there were more to it, though? just 3 simple gauges - Fuel, Tach, Temp, an Hour meter, and some indicator lights. A display for MPH, and PTO rotation speed would be nice to have since they were handy on my last Kubota. There is a right armrest, but no left one (?) The side window openers are extremely cheap plastic and certain to break with the slightest force. There is only one cheap strut on the rear glass. Some control switches are on the pillar, others on a console to the right elbow. I like front facing controls, so I would prefer them on the front headliner, but they aren't poorly located now. This is an improvement over my reference Kubota which put a lot of controls below or behind the steering wheel. It was awkward to reach those.

EXTERIOR: Very smartly styled, new hood and headlamps. While I like the convenience of having the fuel fill neck at knee level.. I am already concerned about damaging the tank or mount with ground obstructions. The support for the fuel tank is weak and cheap. A very thoughtful second lift lever behind the tractor to control lower arms while putting on an implement. Tail lights have moved off the fender up to the cab pillar, and replaced with reflective sticker. While this is an improvement of function, I liked the old look better, and may try to find something to put there. There is also a small plastic insert on the right fender that looks like a place keeper for inching forward or backward, like on a JD maybe?

FEL is strong enough, but a noticeably slower than my L3240 Kubota.

Things I intend to install/modify:
  1. Bluetooth stereo so I can listen to podcasts and take handsfree calls.
  2. Ambient LED interior lights, because I think they are cool in cars.
  3. A buddy seat
  4. Places to store stuff, a toolbox area or platform somewhere in the cab. There are a few spots that I wish Kioti had thought to put a cubby instead of the dead space that is there.
  5. The stock front and rear working lights are surprisingly good. I had assumed they would need upgrade, and had started research, but it won't be necessary now. Took it out last night, and it lit up everything I need to see.
  6. Plastic shroud below the FEL controller is not snug and vibrates. I will take apart and put in some weatherstrip to arrest the noise.
  7. Need to get Cat 1 to Cat 2 bushings for my Cat 1 implements. 5510 came with Cat2 3PH.
  8. iPhone mount and charging cradle
  9. Two way handheld radio mount.

This tractor replaces my Kubota L3240 HST. Besides the 2 obvious differences (open station vs cab) and horsepower (34 vs 55), they are very similar tractors. Frame size, wheel and tire size, weight, hydraulic flow, etc. Plus, it's orange. I already have a bunch of orange and black implements and I really like symmetry. This is not important to some, but it would have bugged me driving a blue tractor pulling an orange bush hog. The Kioti turns a tighter radius, but this may mean the Kubota is more stable. Will measure and post an update on that.

I will post some pictures in a few days. I want to take some of the NX5510 sitting next to my L3240 for comparison. They have a lot of similarities, and I considered the Kubota L5460 Cab, but couldn't defend the cost difference for my intended use.

Dean

Good initial review.

FWIW, working in heavy 15-25' tall brush, I have damaged three gas caps. I've learned to pay better attention and use a different technique with my rotary cutter.

The fuel tank itself has a guard on the underside. This is what it looks like.

IMG_5999_zpsbgv40tyn.jpg

Damage to the fuel tank takes on several forms.

First, the fuel filler cap can get smashed.

IMG_5815_zpsnfb0x3jh.jpg

Second, the two fuel tank tie-downs can get bent. This isn't really a problem, IMO, but the OCR folks may get excited.

IMG_5802_zps4uignw9w.jpg

Third, the lower fuel line is unprotected and can get snagged by brush and tear the fuel tank nipple.

IMG_5923_zpsfcntlklj.png

Believe it or not, repairing a polyethylene diesel gas tank is not something you can easily do because nothing sticks to wax or diesel. While my solution was to get another fuel tank to get my tractor back into service, as soon as my tractor made it back to my tinkerage, I made underbelly armor and puzzled out how to repair the fuel nipple. I now have a spare fuel tank.

10506964_10203150667907075_5446566255266909535_o_z  ps0f6fe533.jpg

/ NX5510 initial observations
It has a turbo after all. Not sure how missed that.

Dean

/ NX5510 initial observations #7  
Because it's itty bitty. :)

/ NX5510 initial observations
Eric,

To your underbelly armor project....

What about diamond plate or similar metal to guard the front part of the tank too? I assume sticks and branches are going to be angling up and poking the unprotected plastic, as the left front tire climbs over them.

Dean

/ NX5510 initial observations #10  
Eric,

To your underbelly armor project....

What about diamond plate or similar metal to guard the front part of the tank too? I assume sticks and branches are going to be angling up and poking the unprotected plastic, as the left front tire climbs over them.

Dean

Dean, I'm not worried about the front part of the tank. The front axle is there and the tank is pretty hard to puncture. That said, it would be easy to fab a plate that covers the front of the tank. for me, I thought about making my own tank with a provision for an in-tank fuel heater and a low point fuel drain.