HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #1  

Grapeman

Tractor
MF 135 diesel, Deutz-Allis 6250V w/ cab & 4wd, David Brown 780D, Kubota L4200 4wd w/FEL, Kubota BX2200, MF 533D, 2 JD Gators,Kioti 5510C
I've been following this Forum recently and this is my first post on TBN in almost 5 years.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new NX5510C with no FEL but haven't settled on the transmission. We operate a small vineyard and have a number of tractors. A new NX would be used for general mowing, chopping grape brush in winter and snow blowing,(rear mount). It will also be a backup spray tractor and haul bin trailers, (4 to 5000 pounds loaded), during harvest. Sounds like a lot but most of our tractors get used around 100 hours per year.
Most important items are overall width, (66" max) and PTO horsepower. We can get the NX series down to the 66" max width we need with AG tires. I thought about an RX but can't get it down to the needed width even with narrower tires,(13.6). That need is critical since some of our grape rows are 75+ years old and narrow.
The PTO HP is important as well since air blast sprayers take a significant amount of HP to operate properly. The PTO HP available is reduced by a HST. A 5510 gear tractor has 46 PTO HP and a HST has 43. A NX6010 has 48 PTO HP. Can't justify the extra money for a NX6010HSTC and a gear version is not offered with a cab. Diff between 5510 HSTC and 6010 HSTC is almost $3000. Getting price on 5510C later today.
Kioti NX series eat up a lot of engine HP since they have a hydraulic PTO as well as HST steering to go along with an HST tranny.
No FEL means the only job that might require working the clutch more than normal is blowing snow and this winter is the first time it has been needed in 5 years.
Most everyone on this forum seems to have an HST tractor so I'm interested in some opinions.

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #2  
I think you have a very good idea as far as what you want . A HST really shines in the snow , but that is a non issue . For true ag work a gear trans is the best . These folks like HST for loader work and snow removal . None of your needs . Buy the machine that is going to work for you . I hope you are dealing with a good salesman . The dealer makes it or breaks it .

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor
Thanks Kevin! My dealer, (American Equipment Farmington NY),has been excellent. Purchased my MF 533D from them in 2007 and they went the extra mile and then 3 more miles to deal with problems. Can't say enough good about them. Salesman is new and still learning but willing to call anyone for info on my questions. One thing I have learned is not to trust Kioti literature or website. Fair amount of poor or bad info. Verify, verify, verify!

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #4  
Go to the dealer and actually measure the width of the tractor. My NX6010 is 78" across the rear wheels and 55 is the same set up.

That said I like HST with the linked pedal for great control but I'm doing endless loader work.

If the center disc is turned around and the rim is mounted on the outside of the disc with 13.6 tires should come out to 65.7' overall. Still should have clearance to the cab. If rim is mounted inside reversed disc only about .1' clearance. This is per the distribution center in the Carolinas. Verify, Verify, Verify! Thanks

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #6  
I've got a 5510 cab with shuttle and really seem to like it. My kubota is a hydraulic shuttle and have really had great success with it also. I do a lot of different work with mine most the shuttle works well for and some that a hst work be a bit easier with. I have R4s on mine so no real help on width measurements.

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #7  
A HST is superior on a CUT with a loader, but see less value in your use cases. I'd prefer a HST for mowing my property, but less concerned about it for flat open land without many obstacles.

A HST is 15% less efficient than a gear. Totally worth that efficiency cost when when using a loader & other utility stuff. Less so when doing more row crop type stuff. I'm sure the gear is cheaper.

Snowblowing would be the task that mist screams for a HST. But you can just leave it in a lower gear & plod on easy enough with the right mix of gears in a modern tractor. A HST means you can push it to the limit easily & instantly when blowing or tilling. With a gear you often have to go slower or shift a lot (if you have enough of the right gears).

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #8  
The NX5010 gear has a 24x24 transmission, that gives you more speed options vs the more common 12x12

Went today and looked at a NX5010 with gear tranny. Same as 5510 but less HP. Tried out the 24x24 trans. In LL 1st at 540 PTO speed, (2500 RPM), could barely see the tires turning. Had a tractor with a creeper gear before and this tractor makes that one look like a rabbit. With 24 forward and 24 reverse speeds, you should always be able to find a proper operating speed. This looks like it will fit my needs better than an HST. I should be able to pick up the extra PTO HP I wanted and added bonus is that the Gear tractor is about $1000 less than the HST unit.

/ HST vs Gear NX5510 Cab Tractor #10  
I'm usually on the HST side, but here I think gear is best. With no loader and primary tasks being field work, Gear is best. Snowblowing is an HST task, but with creeper you should be fine. The gear also gives you extra HP with a smaller package, which is useful. The 1K difference is standard between HST and gear tranny, but be careful, the creeper option may add to the cost.