New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #1  

Doitwithlife

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
After years of searching for the right place to move with our horses, finally found that right place, just waiting to close. The owner agreed to sell me their CK30HST with 671 hours, FEL, some sort of tooth attachment on the FEL, and, towable field mower. Its been garage kept since new and still appears new. Other than some usually scrapes on the bucked, it looks like it was just delivered new.

I went with the idea that they kept the place running nicely with this tractor so I shouldn't need anything this tractor hasn't been able to accomplish. So just going on faith and jumping in

So although I know a bit about horses, I know nothing about tractors, so getting ready for a crash course in everything Kioti and tractors in general.

No questions now, more of an intro, and I'll be digging around trying to learn all I can. For starters, I have to learn all the controls and features of this machine

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #2  
Congrats on the new place and tractor.
Hopefully the original owner still has the owners manual for the tractor to pass on to you. The manual will tell you how to start, operate, and when and how to service it, the rest will come with practice. If you're not comfortable servicing the tractor take it to a local dealer. It would be good for you to meet the local dealer. He can also assist you learning how to operate the tractor.

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #3  
I trust you will find the dedicated KIOTI forum here on T-B-N.

Hit the FORUM button, then cursor down.

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #4  
Hiya,

I was in a similar boat as you--except we bought the tractor new with never having driven one before.

If I may make a general suggestions--actually two.

1. Find some very open, level space and drive the tractor around without trying to do accomplish anything specific. Run the bucket up and down, go forward and reverse. Make tight and not so tight turns. With the steering wheel, HST, and power steering, you are going to think the tractor is just like a car. IN same ways it is, but it has a huge turning radius (especially with the FEL and mower attached) and will handle like a pig.

2. Do everything slow and only do one thing at a time until you get very comfortable with the tractor. There are all of the videos of guys flying along with their tractor running the bucket up and down while backing up in high gear. Try really hard to avoid that. Be moving or operating the FEL or adjusting the throttle or adjusting the PTO, but none of them at the same time. All it takes is a quick distraction and you run the FEL into the side of the wife's barn (speaking from experience). The tractor has no crumble zones or bumpers. If it hits anything, either it or what gets hit will be damaged.

One other comment, taking implements on and off the 3 point (the attachment in back) will kick your butt, for awhile. You will get better at it, but even still after awhile, there will be days it will kick your butt (again speaking from experience).

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #5  
First off, find an owners manual and read it, all of it. It will be an hour of your time, but you'll then have at least a basic idea of how the thing works. Second, take it out to an open clear level area and see what you can do with it. Find out what everything does, how the tractor drives, how the hydraulics work, how it turns and changes speeds. The CK35H is pretty foolproof, just don't try to change ranges or engage the PTO without the clutch in. Take it slow at first. Just do your chores, and pretty soon you'll have the HST/steering/loader controls synced perfectly so you don't even have to look at them. It's been about a year for me, and though I'm not a master yet, I'm still pretty good with the tractor.

A few things. What options are on the CK? remotes are first. These are additional hydraulic ports that power 3PTH implements. Very useful, but sounds like you may not need them right now. The controls are the levers on the right between the 3PTH lever and the loader joystick. Make sure they're in the middle position unless you are using them. Draft control: I would guess you don't have this one, but if you have 2 levers on the right next to each other, you do. One is the 3PTH position control, it's on the outside I believe. This is the one you use to control the 3PTH. The inside one is the draft, it controls the implement depth during ground engaging tasks like plowing. Just put in the OFF position. Mid PTO. On the left are the PTO levers. One controls the rear PTO, it's live, so use the clutch when you move that lever. You can ask more later about proper PTO operation. If you have the second one, it's for a PTO underneath the tractor, used to run a mid mount mower or front snowblower. It works the same as the rear one. The 4WD lever is below the seat near the floor on the left. Up is 4WD, down is 2WD, just have the tractor stopped to change. The MLS valve is beneath the seat near the floor on the right, It controls the rate of 3PTH drop. If the 3PTH gets stuck up, check to make sure that it's not turned all the way to the turtle. Turned all the way to the rabbit and the implement will come down with a nice thud, so midway is best. The differential lock is outboard of the 4WD lever. pressing it down locks the rear wheels together, really useful when you have one wheel spinning, just press it down and usually you'll come out. Don't turn when using the diff lock. HST- MED range is the most useful working range, HI is for road use, and LO is for high traction applications. The more you press down on the HST pedal, the faster you go, but the less power you have, and vice versa.

That's a basic crash course in the CK HST, I was really basic because you said you had no experience. You'll get a handle on it pretty quick though, and we're here to answer any questions and help solve problems. If it's remotely tractor related, chances are at least one person here can help.

:welcome: from MI

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #6  
Also as you get used to the tractor and end up spending alot of time on it swmbo might get hostile, if you keep the smile off your face it's easier for her to believe your working hard and not just playing. If you can't keep from smiling dinner or flowers help.

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors
First off, find an owners manual and read it, all of it. It will be an hour of your time, but you'll then have at least a basic idea of how the thing works. Second, take it out to an open clear level area and see what you can do with it. Find out what everything does, how the tractor drives, how the hydraulics work, how it turns and changes speeds. The CK35H is pretty foolproof, just don't try to change ranges or engage the PTO without the clutch in. Take it slow at first. Just do your chores, and pretty soon you'll have the HST/steering/loader controls synced perfectly so you don't even have to look at them. It's been about a year for me, and though I'm not a master yet, I'm still pretty good with the tractor.

A few things. What options are on the CK? remotes are first. These are additional hydraulic ports that power 3PTH implements. Very useful, but sounds like you may not need them right now. The controls are the levers on the right between the 3PTH lever and the loader joystick. Make sure they're in the middle position unless you are using them. Draft control: I would guess you don't have this one, but if you have 2 levers on the right next to each other, you do. One is the 3PTH position control, it's on the outside I believe. This is the one you use to control the 3PTH. The inside one is the draft, it controls the implement depth during ground engaging tasks like plowing. Just put in the OFF position. Mid PTO. On the left are the PTO levers. One controls the rear PTO, it's live, so use the clutch when you move that lever. You can ask more later about proper PTO operation. If you have the second one, it's for a PTO underneath the tractor, used to run a mid mount mower or front snowblower. It works the same as the rear one. The 4WD lever is below the seat near the floor on the left. Up is 4WD, down is 2WD, just have the tractor stopped to change. The MLS valve is beneath the seat near the floor on the right, It controls the rate of 3PTH drop. If the 3PTH gets stuck up, check to make sure that it's not turned all the way to the turtle. Turned all the way to the rabbit and the implement will come down with a nice thud, so midway is best. The differential lock is outboard of the 4WD lever. pressing it down locks the rear wheels together, really useful when you have one wheel spinning, just press it down and usually you'll come out. Don't turn when using the diff lock. HST- MED range is the most useful working range, HI is for road use, and LO is for high traction applications. The more you press down on the HST pedal, the faster you go, but the less power you have, and vice versa.

That's a basic crash course in the CK HST, I was really basic because you said you had no experience. You'll get a handle on it pretty quick though, and we're here to answer any questions and help solve problems. If it's remotely tractor related, chances are at least one person here can help.

:welcome: from MI

Tony,

This is an awesome primer!

All the advice I've received here is welcome and valuable. Its going to be a few weeks before I can get my hands on the tractor and perhaps learn what I've actual bought; your notes are going to go a long way towards that. Might even be mid Nov before the current owners have moved into their new place. So just trying impatiently to be patient.

I am hoping that I'll get a manual with it as well as lots of planned practice on in the clearings. With the way the timing is looking might be moving snow as my 1st real task :)

It appears that there are 2 Kioti dealers close by, I'm planning to visit them and start a relationship with the one that seems to fit best. Might start with the dealer in Rathdrum. Nothing like having a dealer that knows me and what my jobs are.

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors
Also as you get used to the tractor and end up spending alot of time on it swmbo might get hostile, if you keep the smile off your face it's easier for her to believe your working hard and not just playing. If you can't keep from smiling dinner or flowers help.

She has already made it clear that she wants to be out there too. Might be the biggest challenge to get her off the machine so I can work!

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #9  
Unless you know the maint history of the machine, I'd do a complete fluid/filter change out and a greasing of everything grease-able. You can then use it as a baseline for future maint.

Everything else you need to know is well presented above.

Good luck, you have a great machine.

/ New to me CK30HST in my future and know nothing about tractors #10  
Unless you know the maint history of the machine, I'd do a complete fluid/filter change out and a greasing of everything grease-able. You can then use it as a baseline for future maint.

Yes, this too.

Also, if you can, get the owner to give to a quick learning course, it will be better than anything we can tell you here to see it in person.

I assume that the tractor has something to clear snow with. If it doesn't, a rear blade should probably be the first thing to get. Lots of uses for that, and a rear blade with loader is pretty hard to beat even with real deep snow. While it is possible to plow snow with the loader, it's actually harder than it looks, and doesn't do a great job, and is hard on the loader frame as well.