FYI when looking at the new CK10 models

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #1  

schaapk

Tractor
Kioti LK3054, Kioti CK3510H, John Deere Z925A
I recently purchased a new CK3510H. I have about 16 hrs on it and am still getting use to it. My lifting capacity is so much more than my LK3054. Even with loaded tires I have to have and implement attached, otherwise the back end feels light. With that said. I would like to bring up an issue I have encountered. When you set the parking brake there is no dash light indicator to remind you that your brake is set. I did check under the tractor and did not find a switch or wiring to support a warning light. I called the dealer and he told me there is a dash light indicator light that will come on when you turn the key on but it is just a dummy light. Kioti also has the dash light indicator listed as standard features on they're web site. I am not understanding why Kioti would not install a simple switch. I don't want to apply my parking brake anymore for fear I might forget and end burning my brakes up. I did call and leave a message at Kioti's customer service.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #2  
you should realize the brake is on a soon as you let out on clutch or mash hst pedal

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #3  
There's no indicator light on my 4105 either... but the knob is bright orange and sticks out when applied.

It's just something that you get used to. Yes, we've all forgotten it from time to time, it happens. Or the parking brake works really good and you wonder why the tractor isn't moving. :banghead:

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #4  
Best thing I've discovered to help avoid this problem (learned it on TBN) is to set the parking brake so that it is engaged fully. I stand on the pedals with both feet and lock it as tightly as I can. This way if I forget the brake is set, I figure it out right away when the tractor struggles to move. If it's only set mildly, it's easy to realize that the brake is on half an hour into bush hogging etc.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #5  
you should realize the brake is on a soon as you let out on clutch or mash hst pedal

My Kioti 4510HST Cab doesn't have a parking brake indicator light. Not a problem. If the parking brake is set, the tractor just won't move. Pressing firmly on the brake pedal releases the parking brake. Only took me a few "Dohh" moments before I got in the habit of pressing on the pedal at the same time I'm checking to make sure the HST range selector is in neutral (necessary to start the engine). Don't know, but I'm guessing the CK series is set up the same way.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #6  
On my CK35, there is a parking brake, with indicator on dash. The brake will stop the tractor rolling when parked, that's about it. Even with the indicator I've driven off many times with it on, the tractor doesn't notice. Usually an accident that I notice the brake's on, or if in HI the tractor is slower than usual. But performance wise in MED and LO there is no difference in performance. Also, the brake is not needed to make anything work or start. As a result I rarely set the brake, for fear I'll forget it's on. Barely use the brakes with the HST anyway because they're so badly positioned.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #7  
If I'm on and off the tractor a lot, I do set the parking brake every time I jump off. Make it a habit to tap the brake BEFORE stepping on one of the HST pedals to release them. You will feel the resistance WHEN you forget...we all do!

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #8  
I've left the brakes on the odd time, but with an HST tractor I can't imagine I'll ever wear the brakes out. They only get used mostly just to hold the tractor.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #9  
On my Kubota L3200 the parking brake is a latch for the brakes. I always leave my brakes unpinned (HST) & the latch only catches the left brake. So I usually figure out my parking brake is on when I'm driving in circles if the extra HST noise isn't enough.

/ FYI when looking at the new CK10 models #10  
There has to be a brake light switch at the brake pedal. Wouldn't be too much of a job to splice an indicator circuit into it, or you could just tap in at one of the stop lamps.