Buying Advice Next tractor advice

/ Next tractor advice #1  

maximus1277

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27, Kubota L3940,JD110 TLB
Ok... So it's that time again. I now have been enjoying my CK27 hst for about three years. I love the tractor for all the things it does so well...... But, recently I started to look at other machines. I do like the size and weight, but for my use, i think I could use something with a bit more power. Most of my seat time is used pushing dirt, digging stumps, plowing snow. Occasional tiller work or box blade action making dirt bike track for my kids Would love a bit more loader lift and certainly more HP. Now, I don't want to go too big since I keep this tractor in my house garage and I don't really need a full size set up. So, here are a few things that caught my eye (in order of preference I guess): Kubota L39 TLB, John Deere 110, or Kubota MX 5100. I would not buy new, but a low hours, clean machine would be my pick. Any advice on these three? Note that I haven't actually seen these machines up close... So I have no idea how much bigger they really are. Kubota L39 doesn't seem bigger at all from my CK.... The rear wheels actually look smaller with a narrower foot print.

/ Next tractor advice #2  
How many hours are on your 3yr old machine?

/ Next tractor advice #3  
The JD110 is nice. however, you mentioned that you would keep it in your house garage. The 4 point FOPS does not fold and does fit under a 9ft door no problem. However, if you have a lower door forget it. Of the ones you listed the JD110 would be my pick except if the height is an issue for you. I have no experience with the L39 and the MX5100 is more of an ag or large CUT style tractor rather than a dedicated TLB like the other two that you mentioned. It will not have as strong a hoe and will not be built as stout.

Sounds like you will do a mix of backhoe and 3pt work. The ease of removing and installing the backhoe / 3pt linkage should be a consideration. Depending on the kind of backhoe work you do, if you get something with a strong enough loader, you may be able to do without the backhoe and just use a stump bucked instead. That way your 3pt is always ready for your other tasks.

/ Next tractor advice #4  
In my experience you do not really notice an increase in tractor horsepower nor weight until you increase 50%.

Anything less is just 'noise'.

Implicit in this evaluation is replacing most of your current implements with heavier versions.

Last edited:
   / Next tractor advice #5  
I have a CK30 TLB and one of my best friends who is a full time farmer utilizes the MX5100 for his chicken farming, not the ag fields where the big green things are run.... He likes my CK30 better... Is the MX5100 bigger, a bit, it's wider... Is it meaner? On paper...

/ Next tractor advice
Thanks... Height is s concern and foldable ROPS would be best. I do like JD 110 but they're so hard to find with low hours at a decent price. Any thoughts on L39?

/ Next tractor advice #8  
I went from a CK20 to a DK40se TLB. I find the DK size is about all I need as one really needs to get into dedicated TLBs like the big Deeres, Case etc to get substantially more BH or loader. The Kubota dedicated TLBs are very nice but add only a bit more than the DK can and they are not nearly as flexible having fixed loaders and (I think) BHs. The Kubota MX line is about the same and certainly not more tractor than the Kioti DK/NX.

/ Next tractor advice #9  
The Kubota TLB have rear PTO and available 3pth.

/ Next tractor advice #10  
The Kubota TLB have rear PTO and available 3pth.

If I ran a construction business I'd want a dedicated Kubota TLB. Tough as nails and highly capable in that role. For a homeowner though I still think a tractor based TLB makes more sense. More bang for the buck. The dedicated TLBs are pretty spendy for their size/HP etc. Worthwhile if you are going to have employees beating them up on a daily basis but not worth the extra over very tough tractor based units for owner operator IMO. Possible exception would be to get the larger BH but there are not too many homeowner tasks that need more than a tractor mounted 9ft BH.