Buying Advice CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy?

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #1  

SammyNole

Tractor
Kioti CK4010HST
Hey everybody. New member and I was looking for some advice/encouragement. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new CK4010HST tractor, which will be my first ever tractor. I have spent time looking at pretty much everything out there-Kubota, NH, Mahindra, LS, Kioti, and MF. I only own 2.5 acres and plan on mostly doing loader work and some brush cutting with the tractor on flat, dry ground, albeit around a bunch of pine trees from a former tree farm.

I really don't NEED a 40hp tractor NOW, but everything I have read says to go up one size from what you think you need. For me, that is realistically the CK2510, but I want/need the extra lift capacity that the larger-framed CK2610/3510/4010 frame gives you, so I moved my search up to the CK2610. The "one size up" thing would then put me at the CK3510HST, but the dealer that I talked with only showed a $2000 difference from the CK2610HST to the CK4010HST, so I am thinking that I would be a fool to pass up the CK4010HST. Or am I a fool for buying such a big tractor when I don't necessarily need it now? I am looking at a 10 to 15 year investment here, so I don't know what I will need later on, so I figured go big now.

What is anyone else's experience with these machines, especially with the DPF? I know that they need to be ran harder/hotter to get them to regen appropriately, but I haven't read too many bad things about them. Also, the closest dealer is about 150 miles from me, but I called Kioti and was assured by their regional manager that there SHOULD be dealers in my area within the next 6 months, ad hopefully by the end of the year. Would that turn anybody off? Assuming that everything goes OK, would I need anything from a dealer within that time frame? I can't imagine I would put more than 50-100 hours per year on a machine, so that would put my first service out to 6 months or a year.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #2  
The closest Kitot dealer is about 150 miles from me, but I called Kioti and was assured by their regional manager that there SHOULD be dealers in my area within the next 6 months, ad hopefully by the end of the year.

I would give "dealer soon" zero credibility. An inexperienced dealer, with an inexperienced staff, may not be much help.

I appreciated the fair amount of hand holding I received from my dealer during the first 400 engine hours, spread over two Kubota tractors. Also, most new tractors require some adjustments during first 100 hours of wear in, with the "safety lockout" switches being the most common culprits.

However, everyone is different in the amount of tractor/implement coaching they want or need. (I did not discover T-B-N until tractor #2.)

I think your size choice is fine. I bought three increasingly heavy tractors before I got it right with #3.

Certainly "ENOUGH TRACTOR".

Last edited:
   / CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #3  
Even though my machine has not been back to the dealer I would not shop past 50 miles from my place if I can help it. Welcome to TBN!

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

150 miles is not that far of a distance if that dealership is truly supportive of you. (mine is a 1.5 hr. drive away) When you purchase your first tractor, ask them what you will need regarding tools & lubricants/oil/filters to maintain your rig. If you stock up initially, it'll save you heartache in the future.

A lot of modern tractors require a 17mm wrench. I've found that when purchasing a 'set' of metric wrenches/sockets, the 17mm is skipped. :smiley_aafz:

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #5  
Welcome
As newbie, I would not want my dealer 150 miles away.
Being unfamiliar with tractors and implements, you are likely to have many questions and need guidance.
Decide what work needs to be done and size tractor based on that

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #6  
Hey everybody. New member and I was looking for some advice/encouragement. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new CK4010HST tractor, which will be my first ever tractor. I have spent time looking at pretty much everything out there-Kubota, NH, Mahindra, LS, Kioti, and MF. I only own 2.5 acres and plan on mostly doing loader work and some brush cutting with the tractor on flat, dry ground, albeit around a bunch of pine trees from a former tree farm.

I really don't NEED a 40hp tractor NOW, but everything I have read says to go up one size from what you think you need. For me, that is realistically the CK2510, but I want/need the extra lift capacity that the larger-framed CK2610/3510/4010 frame gives you, so I moved my search up to the CK2610. The "one size up" thing would then put me at the CK3510HST, but the dealer that I talked with only showed a $2000 difference from the CK2610HST to the CK4010HST, so I am thinking that I would be a fool to pass up the CK4010HST. Or am I a fool for buying such a big tractor when I don't necessarily need it now? I am looking at a 10 to 15 year investment here, so I don't know what I will need later on, so I figured go big now.

What is anyone else's experience with these machines, especially with the DPF? I know that they need to be ran harder/hotter to get them to regen appropriately, but I haven't read too many bad things about them. Also, the closest dealer is about 150 miles from me, but I called Kioti and was assured by their regional manager that there SHOULD be dealers in my area within the next 6 months, ad hopefully by the end of the year. Would that turn anybody off? Assuming that everything goes OK, would I need anything from a dealer within that time frame? I can't imagine I would put more than 50-100 hours per year on a machine, so that would put my first service out to 6 months or a year.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I'm not sure your dealer is doing you any favors by encouraging such an upgrade. With 2.5 acres doing mostly loader work and brush cutting you really would do fine with the CK2510. I'd agree that the extra loader capacity of the 2610 is nice as is the three range hst. The horsepower however is almost irrelevant for the type of work you are talking about. The loader is the same on all of the CK2610/3510/4010 tractors as is 3pt lift and tractor weight. All of those tractors will lift exactly the same amount. The engine in the 4010 has about ten percent more displacement and puts out about 60% more horsepower so it is tuned more aggressively. The only type of benefit you'd get with the 40hp would be the ability to run six foot implements instead of five footers. With only 2.5 acres I don't see that as much of a benefit. Figure a six foot mower might save you 10-15 minutes over a 5 footer for mowing that area but would also cost more and require more storage space.

I took care of about 4 acres with a CK20 with is the predecessor of the CK2510. It was more than adequate. I did upgrade but only when I started caring for an additional 15 acres or so.

Stick with the 2610 and put the extra $2000 into a grapple and hydraulic remotes. You'll get WAY more work done clearing brush with a CK2610 with grapple than with a CK4010 without.

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy?
Thanks for the information, everybody. It is true that I have zero tractor experience, but I have extensive excavator, dozer, skid steer, and backhoe experience, so I don't feel that I am going in blind with this purchase. I feel very comfortable operating equipment, their limitations, etc., and don't necessarily feel that not having a dealer next door is a bad thing as far as tips and tricks goes. If anything, it would be with new and different implements, sizing, and types, and those will be purchased more locally, so I think that will be handled. I am quite frankly shocked that their isn't a Kioti dealer already, but I am quite sure that there will be one soon, and more than likely as a second line at an already established shop, which I am fine with.

And I am a reformed diesel mechanic, so I have more than enough tools and shop supplies to do anything needed for maintenance or repair, and I even have EGR, DPF, and SCR factory training from both Bobcat and Detroit Diesel, so that isn't blind, either. I'm just scared of a $20,000 tractor's engine control system versus a $50,000 skid steer or even $120,000 highway truck.

-IslandTractor-I totally get your point about it being too big, but I am looking at this as a LOOOOONG term investment, and I really don't want to have to progressively go bigger, as I would rather spend a little more up front and have a tractor that may be a little too big-at least that's the thought process. I am already going with rear remotes "just in case".

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #8  
-IslandTractor-I totally get your point about it being too big, but I am looking at this as a LOOOOONG term investment, and I really don't want to have to progressively go bigger, as I would rather spend a little more up front and have a tractor that may be a little too big-at least that's the thought process. I am already going with rear remotes "just in case".

But what are you gaining? A more highly tuned engine. No increase in loader capacity or 3PT lift. You have flat land so hills are not an issue. You are mowing less than 2.5 acres. Why would you ever need more horsepower or a different tractor??? The only think I can think of is that someday you might want an air conditioned cab but that would require jumping up to the NX series and lots of $$$

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy?
But what are you gaining? A more highly tuned engine. No increase in loader capacity or 3PT lift. You have flat land so hills are not an issue. You are mowing less than 2.5 acres. Why would you ever need more horsepower or a different tractor??? The only think I can think of is that someday you might want an air conditioned cab but that would require jumping up to the NX series and lots of $$$

True, nothing much for now. In the future, though, we may wind up in Tennessee near my wife's family with rolling hills, or in Virginia with my family with steep mountains, so in that scenario I think more HP would work to my benefit, right? Plus now I have some stumps I would like to attempt to uproot, some old dead/dying pine to cut/knock down, so more pushing and pulling power, too. I think I am looking at it like a gun, or any other tool: I would rather have it and not need it (right now), than need it and not have it.

/ CK4010 Purchase-Am I crazy? #10  
True, nothing much for now. In the future, though, we may wind up in Tennessee near my wife's family with rolling hills, or in Virginia with my family with steep mountains, so in that scenario I think more HP would work to my benefit, right? Plus now I have some stumps I would like to attempt to uproot, some old dead/dying pine to cut/knock down, so more pushing and pulling power, too. I think I am looking at it like a gun, or any other tool: I would rather have it and not need it (right now), than need it and not have it.

Fair enough but keep in mind that even the 2610 has a lot of stump pulling power in low range and that a properly ballasted tractor is as important as power when considering ground engagement tasks. Most folks don't try to pull out stumps or trees anymore. Using a grapple to rip up roots and pushing trees over is more common. Those tasks are more a function of loader strength (same on 2610 and 4010) and weight which is also the same.

If you must have more horsepower no one will stop you but keep in mind that implements make more of a difference than horsepower for most tasks. Putting the extra money into implements is often smarter than paying the premium for horsepower. Offering 40 hp in this frame size is just a marketing game. Look back at the past twenty years of CUT development and you'll see that 25hp or so in that frame size has been considered decent power. They bore out the engine a tad, slap in bigger pistons and engine software and charge $2000 more. Easy for Kioti to make more money that way but not necessarily the best bang for the buck.