DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST)

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
I'm considering a DK5010 and I need some clarification on how the optional hydraulic shuttle transmission works.

First, I've owned standard gear and HST tractors before, but not a hydraulic shuttle transmission. However, I have briefly operated a Kubota M6040 with Kubota's hydraulic shuttle transmission, so I know how that one works. That was 10 years ago though, and I don't know if Kioti's shuttle works the same way.

Can someone who has operated a DK with the hydraulic shuttle transmission explain normal operation to me? Do you use the clutch pedal at all, or can everything be done with the shuttle lever on the left side of the dash? What is the sequence of operation if you want to do simple loader work - drive up slowly to a pile, fill bucket and reverse? What about shifting between gears while going forward?

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #2  
I'm considering a DK5010 and I need some clarification on how the optional hydraulic shuttle transmission works.

First, I've owned standard gear and HST tractors before, but not a hydraulic shuttle transmission. However, I have briefly operated a Kubota M6040 with Kubota's hydraulic shuttle transmission, so I know how that one works. That was 10 years ago though, and I don't know if Kioti's shuttle works the same way.

Can someone who has operated a DK with the hydraulic shuttle transmission explain normal operation to me? Do you use the clutch pedal at all, or can everything be done with the shuttle lever on the left side of the dash? What is the sequence of operation if you want to do simple loader work - drive up slowly to a pile, fill bucket and reverse? What about shifting between gears while going forward?
The clutch pedal is required to make gearshift changes. The shuttle lever can be used for direction changes with or without the clutch, depending on what you are doing. Starting off, depending on gear and range selection, can be clutchless.

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #3  
I found myself doing both, using the foot clutch and not using the foot clutch, when going forward to reverse or reverse to forward .....

The transmission is synchronized so driving is similar to driving a car...clutch when making gear changes while moving.

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST)
Thank you both for your replies! Since you each own the exact model I'm considering, do you have any comments pro/con on the tractor overall? I have previously owned a DK40SE HST so I'm familiar with Kioti, and before that a Deere 5105, so I have some tractor experience.

The clutch pedal is required to make gearshift changes. The shuttle lever can be used for direction changes with or without the clutch, depending on what you are doing. Starting off, depending on gear and range selection, can be clutchless.

Since the shuttle can be used without the clutch, when does it make sense to use the clutch pedal for F/R direction changes?

How smooth or abrupt is the HS setup? I know the PTO engagement on my DK40, which was another electro-hydraulic clutch, was a bit abrupt, although this was easily managed by engaging the PTO at idle or just above idle RPM.

I read somewhere else, I think for a slightly different Kioti model, that the shuttle lever required you to stop in neutral and then make a second push to go into the intended direction. Does this apply to the DK5010HS or can you go from forward to reverse with just one push of the lever?

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #5  
When to use the clutch is basically a comfort and feel kinda thing. If pulling into a pile of hardpack, for instance, I use the clutch. Saves on spinning tires and over working the driveline in my opinion. When plowing snow I rarely use the clutch. I let the rpms drop close to idle, pull the shuttle lever to neutral and then into the direction I want to go. There is a noticeable detent between FWD, Rev, and neutral. You'll get a feel for it pretty quickly. The engagement abruptness depends on rpms and load. The higher either/both are the more abrupt. I never really stop to switch directions, but slow to crawl.

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #6  
I've only got 8 hours on mine but so far I really like it. Loaded rear tires and about 750lbs in a ballast box makes it a workhorse when using my grapple.

Am able to pull a 7' disc as fast as I want when in 4wd....

I'm going from a 1965 Ford 4000 and it's amazing how much more efficient this thing is for doing the things I do.

Hey, would it be possible for someone to scan or photograph the page(s) of the owner's manual describing the shuttle operation? I have your descriptions and I think I understand how it works, I just want to see the official instruction before I put a deposit on one of these.

Other than that I'm 99% sure this is the route I'm going to go. I've asked the local dealer if he can obtain the owner's manual but after several days he indicated that they can't get it (weird!) in either PDF or physical format, only the shop manual which costs money. They mostly sell HST tractors so they don't have a shuttle model (or any DKxx10) in stock for me to try out.

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #8  
I called Kioti before buying....They answered the phone and answered my questions without problem.

/ DK10 series: please clarify hydraulic shuttle operation (not HST) #9  
This is all there is in the OP manual. I find my DK is fine with direction changes but it doesn't like to do it when the drivetrain is under a load (without the clutch). On the other hand, KIOTI technical support has told me you shouldn't make a direction change with a H-shuttle if the tractor is moving at all.

This is all there is in the OP manual. I find my DK is fine with direction changes but it doesn't like to do it when the drivetrain is under a load (without the clutch). On the other hand, KIOTI technical support has told me you shouldn't make a direction change with a H-shuttle if the tractor is moving at all.

Thank you!

You would think that a company trying to sell its product would make this info readily available...