Tractor Sizing Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why?

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #1  

dchannam

Tractor
Ford NAA Jubilee
Hi,

I looking to purchase in the next month or so and am narrowed to a Kioti CK3510 or CK4010 with loader for my needs.
The CK4010 has the exact same engine/displacement as the CK3510, could anyone explain what is different to explain the higher HP on the CK4010?

I have 30 acres with pond maintenance, bush hogging, light timber management for lumber and firewood, small food plots, ~1000 foot gravel drive maint, some hills and a camp, as well as snow plowing and home uses.
Are there any options I should have immediately, brush guard, extra remotes, mid PTO, dual air filter, beet juice (rim gaurd) that would be better now, than added later?
I would also be very happy to hear opinions on HST vs Gear for my uses; and on the trade off of industrial tires vs ag tires.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #2  
Hi,

I looking to purchase in the next month or so and am narrowed to a Kioti CK3510 or CK4010 with loader for my needs.
The CK4010 has the exact same engine/displacement as the CK3510, could anyone explain what is different to explain the higher HP on the CK4010?

I have 30 acres with pond maintenance, bush hogging, light timber management for lumber and firewood, small food plots, ~1000 foot gravel drive maint, some hills and a camp, as well as snow plowing and home uses.
Are there any options I should have immediately, brush guard, extra remotes, mid PTO, dual air filter, beet juice (rim gaurd) that would be better now, than added later?
I would also be very happy to hear opinions on HST vs Gear for my uses; and on the trade off of industrial tires vs ag tires.

Thanks,
Dave

Engine control software and marketing strategy. That's it. They charge more for more HP even though the metal is identical. Kioti plays this game with their NX series too which all have the identical engine (except software) from 45-60hp. Pretty common phenomenon with engine manufacturers these days. Kioti is not the only one.

Regarding options for the tasks you outline. If I were in your shoes, I'd get the 35hp variant with brush guard, at least two rear remotes, no mid PTO, stock air filter and have the dealer install beet juice. HST is my favorite and as you are doing a variety of tasks many of which involve loader use, I'd recommend the HST. Ags will give you better traction but if you are anywhere near a lawn you don't want them. Also, they are not great for working in the woods. I'd choose R4 instead. You have 4wd for added traction so Ags not so important and they are not nearly as tough as R4s.

If your budget can handle a DK there are some immediate advantages that a larger frame and more powerful loader would bring but I'd be pretty confident that you can do the same work with the CK. I started with a little CK20 and could do 80% of the tasks I do with a DK40se but more slowly. If I'd started with the CK3510 though I'd have never bothered upgrading.

Last edited:
   / Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #3  
The only thing I could add to what IslandTractor said is a cab. Moving snow without one is a cold job.

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #4  
The only thing I could add to what IslandTractor said is a cab. Moving snow without one is a cold job.

True but it must be balanced against the tractor use for "light timber management". Cabs and woods don't get along very well. If this is a full time 4 season home then perhaps the cab would be more important. Just be careful (or include an annual glass/cab repair budget).

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why?
Thanks, so basically a software flash changes the engine output profile.. anyone doing this aftermarket?

Without specific attachments in mind, what type of remotes would be most useful?
On a second note, I dont have a pole barn yet, what is an efficient way to theft deter these tractors, prevent theft/driveoff/etc?
No cab for me, narrow, low hanging trails, I'd break the glass for sure :)

Last edited:
   / Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #6  
Thanks, so basically a software flash changes the engine output profile.. anyone doing this aftermarket?

Without specific attachments in mind, what type of remotes would be most useful?

No aftermarket that I am aware of and it would very likely cause warranty issues. Besides, 35 hp is plenty for that frame size.

Just a couple of plain rear remotes is what I would recommend. Kioti makes a kit that either the dealer (couple hours labor) or you (half a day) could install. If tires are to be loaded might be best to have dealer install in case one of the rears needs removal to get at the hydraulics.

Rear remotes are useful for many things starting with hydraulic topping lift and tilt for 3PT. Log splitter. Hydraulic box blade for road maintenance. Snowblower controls. Backhoe power. You can even control a grapple by running hoses under the operator station. I did that on my CK20 and was very happy with it. Use of rear remotes for grapple control will save $800-1000 over cost of diverter or third function valve.

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why?
Thanks to both of you, very useful information that will save me some money, and make me more comfortable with choices .

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #8  
One other thing to consider in the Ag vs Industrial debate (unless they changed it for the CK10 series tractors) - the Industrial tires come on 1 piece wheels which means to change track width, you'd have to buy & install wheel spacers. whereas the Ag tires come on adjustable 2 piece wheels that allow you to vary the rear wheel track width. Granted the Industrial tires are wider than Ag to begin with but .... it's something to at least think about.

Other than that, I'm pretty much in line with IT - get the rear remotes now, go for HST over gear, and which ever tires you choose - get all of them loaded now.

Of those - I think the biggest is the HST. After 2.5 years with ours, that is the single biggest thing I would change if I could do it over. When we first purchased, our primary concern with replacing the 8N was something to mow (bush hog) with. Having never had a FEL before, all the things we would end up doing with it never crossed our minds. Now I find I spend twice as much time making short back & forth passes doing both FEL & rear implement work that I do going in big long forward passes mowing. And I will admit the Shuttle Shift is still better than 4 speed w/ reverse but HST sure would be nice.

Best of luck with whatever you pick & welcome to TBN.

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #9  
Ditto on what has been said already:thumbsup: The brush guard was included when the FEL was added. Get the rubber floormat for sure. I have nothing but hills and will be getting my rears widened after a project I'm working on is completed. Not that the tractor is tippy, but future projects are on rougher terrain and I'm looking for a little more stability. I recently added six cinder blocks and a 55 gallon barrel of water to sit in/on my boxblade for a counterweight for moving 1500 lb. skids of flagstone- MUCH more comfortable in the seat now. I'm good with washer fluid in my rears in my climate, but beet juice would be the way to go for your area. I have the backhoe which has been used half the time I'm on the tractor, which included two rear remotes...I'll use these for a future grapple purchase and run hoses to the front.

/ Kioti CK3510 CK4010 difference in HP - why? #10  
I have the 40 Hp HST Kioti and get the rear remotes. I didn't get them and I am still kicking myself for not getting them