How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth?

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #1  

Haneyrm

Silver Member
I have narrowed my tractor choice down to two at this point.

1 - DK4510HS from local dealer for $22,500. No options on this tractor.

2 - DK5010HS from dealer 800 miles away for $21,150. This tractor includes two sets of rear remotes, tool box and floor mat.

I worked up the total price difference and it is coming in right at $3,000 considering price difference, model difference and options.

Going to cost $600 to get DK5010 to my front door. So total difference is right at $2,400.

Is buying local worth $2,400? Local dealer is a really nice guy with a small dealership. Been with Kioti 17 years. Out of town dealer is a mega tractor store with what looks to be around 100 tractors on the lot.

Thanks.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #2  
I guess everyone has a personal opinion on this, but I could have saved right about $2,000 going out of state but instead went with the dealership 30 miles away. I felt that the relationship with my close dealer may pay off if ever I need them for more than maintenance parts and supplies. I'm not sure how anyone can really answer this in a way that any meaning. I would say that you should do what you feel is best for you and your own situation.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #3  
Have you told the closer dealer that you have a better quote?

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #4  
Have you spoke with your local guy and showed him the quote? See if he would split the difference with you. There is a 3k difference, go for $1500 and the rear remotes or something. Give him a chance for your business. If you already have and he’s fine with not working with you then I’d say he’s made the choice for you.

800 miles is a long ways also. Have you personally inspected the one you want? Hopefully it isn’t old stock that they are trying to move due to its condition so they we sweetening the deal

Brett

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #5  
YEs, step one would be to use that quote to try to get a better deal locally.

But I assume some of this difference is sales tax.

Not sure TN is....but here we are about 7%.

Which would put your local dealer selling you the tractor at ~$21,000.....then adding tax to get to $22.5k....is that correct? IF so, he is "actually" a few hundred cheaper on the machine. (not the dealers fault....he has to collect tax and give to state).

And the way warranties work.....buying out of state....your local dealer still is obligated to do warranty work. He cannot deny that. But when questionable things come up...that grey area that may or may not be warranty....he is probably going to be less willing to go to bat for you if you buy out of state.

That said.....if you can get him to install remotes and tool box, and for all intents and purposes make the tractors equipped the same....and can be within a few hundred....I'd probably stay local. But anything beyond that........get extra HP, and save some money doing so.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #6  
I have narrowed my tractor choice down to two at this point.

1 - DK4510HS from local dealer for $22,500. No options on this tractor.

2 - DK5010HS from dealer 800 miles away for $21,150. This tractor includes two sets of rear remotes, tool box and floor mat.

I worked up the total price difference and it is coming in right at $3,000 considering price difference, model difference and options.

Going to cost $600 to get DK5010 to my front door. So total difference is right at $2,400.

Is buying local worth $2,400? Local dealer is a really nice guy with a small dealership. Been with Kioti 17 years. Out of town dealer is a mega tractor store with what looks to be around 100 tractors on the lot.

Thanks.

Make sure tax is figured in on both places. Buy out of state they might not add tax but you are still legally required to pay tax at home, possibly under a different name, such as "use" tax. The numbers may be closer than you think after that.

I don't know the difference between the two tractors but the DK50 seems like a better tractor because bigger numbers sometimes hold more value in same years, such as JD 3320, 3520,3720..

I would get the out of state big one for cheap and if you felt guilty just write a check to the local dealer for $2400. He wouldn't complain.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #7  
Good advice so far. Just wondering if either tractor has a loader or is that something you don't need?

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #8  
To me a local dealer is worth nothing compared to any other dealer. You are looking for the best deal. Don't forget to factor in things like local taxes that might be owed from purchasing out of state. My state has no sales tax if you are buying a tractor for farm use (farms must be at least 10 acres and have a registered farm number). Check out your local laws for compliance.
However all things being equal, there should be no difference in price between local and any other dealer other than a few hundred $$ to cover different operating cost, taxes,etc. $3000 is way out of line. Maybe you could ask your local dealer an honest question about why so much difference.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #9  
Another question is whether or not your local dealer will give you good service if you don't buy from him. I am confident that the manufacturer would be very unhappy if the local dealer didn't. And presumably the local dealer will make money from providing the service. But, if the local dealer didn't treat you well with service because you bought from the remote dealer, and you complained to the manufacturer, you still would not end up with a good relationship with the local dealer.

All in all, I like to buy from people I will have an ongoing relationship with. I would go sit down with your local dealer, tell him your dilemma (much better price from remote dealer, and tell your local dealer the facts), and see if you can come to an agreement with the local dealer.

/ How Much $$$ is Local Dealer Worth? #10  
I'm with Gary. I drove 400 miles one way to get my tractor with a dealer 40 miles away.