2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent?

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #1  

davel8257

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS
I have Kioti DS4510HS with 900 hours. I bought it almost new, dealer serviced and garage kept. I have several tree stumps to remove and other misc. projects that are nearly infeasible to do with a FEL (yes, I've tried, succeeded on a few, gave up on the rest). A new backhoe attachment is $8,000(+). The 2010 subframe is no longer made, but may be available via some kind of a dealer search.

I've looked into renting a backhoe: A case 580 is $250 pickup / delivery fee, $300/day (cheaper by the week, cheaper by the month). Right now, I could easily put in 40 hours (1 week rental) on piled up backhoe work around here (Cost: ~ $1,000 bucks).

I read that most people love their backhoe -- just like they love their FEL. I certainly would not consider another tractor without a FEL (and 4Wd).

I'm going to look at a used New Holland TC55DA -- a few more HP with a backhoe (same # of hours) -- but it's been outside, it's older (2004). And, I've read of some problems with that series.

I'm just not certain that putting an $8,000 attachment on an 8 year old tractor is the smartest way to go. I'm 60 years old, retired and hope to put a lot more hours working outside at my place 5 acres of woods, (outdoor wood burning stove), church work and a couple of friends' places doing fence row cleanup, storm damage repair, drainage work, etc. . . .

Any thoughts out there?

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent?
I just got a call back from local dealer -- the sub frames are available from the factory. They are working on an order for him and could throw it on the same truck. ETA is uncertain -- waiting on FELs.

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #3  
Rent to get it done. If after that you can't do without, and you feel the Kioti you have, (with a hoe) is the right sized tractor keep it, add the hoe and move on. I would not go backward to 2004 to get a hoe. You could be very disappointed.
Tractors, even with a hoe, are not best tool to dig stumps. A mini-ex would be better, but either way a ripper tooth on any hoe would work best to tear out roots, then use the FEL or hoe to push over the remaining 2-3' high stump stalk, assuming you haven't cut flush to grade when the trees were cut down.
I speak from some experience here. I've had ALL the items used on my properties over the last 10 years or so.

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #4  
I just got a call back from local dealer -- the sub frames are available from the factory. They are working on an order for him and could throw it on the same truck. ETA is uncertain -- waiting on FELs.

Now that's confusing. Do you mean waiting on backhoes?

Anyways, the case 580 is probably far more capable than the Kioti backhoe.

I find I've rarely used my backhoe. But when I did it it made my purchase worthwhile. Since 2009 I've done maybe 4 projects and would have spent $4K on rental. But IF I ever get to retire in Mississippi I've got LOT's of projects planned and rentals would not be workable. And most of those projects require long travel into the wood, fine for a tractor, not for a mini-ex.

If you don't envision any projects that REQUIRE an 80HP machine with a 14.8 foot dig depth I'd say go with the Kioti.

re: confusing . . . his tractor order was for tractors with FELs -- the tractors are built, but not the FELs. So, his order is held up until FEL is mounted on the tractor and then they can ship the whole unit to him.

re: "Case more capable . . . " - no argument there, 13,000LB machine, 90+ HP. An 8 hour day would get a lot done -- that would probably take 2 days on the Kioti (dig around to find smaller roots, move dirt out of the way, etc...).

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #7  

Definitely DO buy a TLB!(trade in?)
I bought a clean 16 year old, 3400 gas Ford 10' TLB (cemetery use, dealer trade in) in 1986 for $10,000.
It had 1300 hours then.
It only has 1850 hours now - 32 years later.
It has paid for itself MANY times over, and I have never used it commercially.
Two septic systems, long shell driveway, regrading large lawn area, planting large shrubs, building 2nd barn, pushing trees, removing stumps, lifting heavy awkward items, etc. etc.
For me, it has been, and still is an indispensable tool.
Renting just doesn't work!
When you need it, you need it!
When I retired, I took it with me from the Midwest to New England.
Did a complete refurbishment 2 years ago.
I don't want fancy new tools/tractors with heated cup holders, I just want basic reliable tools.
My TLB is absolutely the best tool I ever bought, and I am 77 now.

Last edited:
   / 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #8  
stump.JPGstump1.JPGstump2.JPGstump3.JPG

On or off in fifteen minutes.

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #9  
Rent to get it done. If after that you can't do without, and you feel the Kioti you have, (with a hoe) is the right sized tractor keep it, add the hoe and move on. I would not go backward to 2004 to get a hoe. You could be very disappointed.
Tractors, even with a hoe, are not best tool to dig stumps. A mini-ex would be better, but either way a ripper tooth on any hoe would work best to tear out roots, then use the FEL or hoe to push over the remaining 2-3' high stump stalk, assuming you haven't cut flush to grade when the trees were cut down.
I speak from some experience here. I've had ALL the items used on my properties over the last 10 years or so.
Just what Coyote stated. :thumbsup:

Although renting a machine has it's hazards. I know I used try to get as much work done with rental machine in the shortest amount of time. I can see where fatigue sets in and the potential for accidents increases.

/ 2010 DS4510HS -- should I buy a backhoe or trade in or rent? #10  
I have a DS4110 with the factory backhoe. Great machine and the backhoe works great. I say go ahead and buy the backhoe, it will add that much value to the machine in case you ever decide to sell it. Plus, 900 hours is no big deal; it sounds like you take care of it, so you will easily get another 2,000 hours.

Any brackets that aren’t available, you can just get fabbed.