Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one??

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #1  

jpierce

Bronze Member
Hello all,

After numerous posts and reading more than I ever imagined about compact tractors, I think I am ready to take the plunge. I thought I wanted a CK20, but the CK25/30 HST just seems to be more to my liking and my frame (6'0" and 250 on a good day!!.) Just don't know what to get between the two. I am getting a FEL, 72" Kioti rear finish mower, Kioti 60" box blade, and Kioti land rake to add to my new toy. $17,900 for the whole setup. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Getting the HST model for the better half

I will be using it for a 0.4 mile driveway to maintain, finish mow about 5 acres, make new paths in the woods (have 40 acres with 20 woods) and move some dirt/limestone left over from our new house and finish grading around the house.

1. It is worth the extra $1150 to go up to the CK30 in your mind
2. Anything you wished you would have added to your purchase??
3. Anybody equiped a radio into their tractor (or XM radio in my case!!)
4. Any other random thoughts?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As always, thanks for the input!! I priced similar Kubota and JD and they were much more expensive than this setup. Just seemed to me the Kioti is at a nice value/quality breakpoint...

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #2  
Hey, I'm always happy to help someone else spend their hard earned money! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

First, I don't think the $1,150 difference is much over the life of the tractor, so I'd go for the few extra HP that extra + - 5 hp will get you with the CK30. They're both on the same frame, and some folks think that the 25 is a little underpowered for that frame size. Never having operated one (yet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), I can't speak from experience.

You mentioned that you want to make some new paths through the woods, but you don't have a roatry cutter (a.k.a. bush hog, a.k.a. brush cutter) listed in your equipment listing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would think that a rotary cutter would be a primary weapon needed for cutting paths/trails through woods. You're not planning on using that finish mower for that, are you?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #3  
Just my $0.02 but a 72" finish mower is marginal on a 25hp tractor unless your lawn is pretty sparce, I know I couldn't use a 72" on my midwestern lawn without more hp. Now that said, I am probably the most vocal guy who doesn't like the CK25 but likes the CK30. So I'd agree with Garry about what he said about the price difference over the years. I'd also point out that the main objection I have to the CK25 is the large size versus the relatively low PTO hp. Virtually every other mid-20's HP tractor in the market is smaller (or even substantially smaller) than the CK25 and that smaller size lets you use PTO powered implements that easily exceed the width of the tractor no matter how rough the conditions are likely to become. The CK25 does have an excellent loader, no other mid-20s hp tractor can match its ability with the FEL, but if I was you I would gladly feed the kids generic Macaroni and Cheese to make up for the price difference between the CK25 and the CK30. You won't regret getting the added hp given the overall frame size.

Also, as Garry said, don't take that finish mower into the woods! A rotary cutter is the right tool for that, they will take down saplings, bushes and pretty much anything that isn't moving too fast! And those same things will destroy a finish mower.

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #4  
For the price difference, I'd def. go for the CK30. As has been said, think of it over the long haul. I also agree that if you go with the CK25, don't go 72" but 60" on the finish mower and cutter that you will surely need.
In this day and age, $1150 just isn't that much money in the long run, and you'll be glad you have the extra 5HP to use the larger implements.
I've been on both tractors, used them a little, and they're both excellent workers, but the CK30 is different enough to go for. John

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you go with the CK25, don't go 72" but 60" on the finish mower)</font>

Kioti's 72" finish mowers are rated for 25 HP tractors, Im not quite sure why they don't list this on the website though. It is stated in the dealers sales manuals as the 72" fitting everything 25 and up.

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kioti's 72" finish mowers are rated for 25 HP tractors, Im not quite sure why they don't list this on the website though. It is stated in the dealers sales manuals as the 72" fitting everything 25 and up. )</font>
Yes, but is that engine, or PTO HP. From my experiences with mowers, a 72" would be a lot on a CK25, with the 60" a piece of cake. Not saying it wouldn't run it, but not ideally.
I had lots of discussions about implement requirements about a year ago with the person who WAS doing the website, and she got quite a few things changed to reflect what the implements ratings actually were. Before, they had a lot of the implements rated at too high HP, and dealers were selling other brands because they thought the Kioti ones wouldn't work. We still have work to do! John

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #7  
We have sold several 72" finish mowers with 25 HP tractors and never seen a problem. Now if that person decides to treat it like a brush hog then we do see problems or if they try to wack down waist high grass, as that is not what it is intended to do.

The 72" mowers actually require only 20HP at the PTO. The CK25 Gear puts out 20HP PTO and the HST is right about 19.5 HP. The .5 HP difference isn't going to be enough to see any noticeable difference. Mowing normal grass a 25HP tractor will pull the 72” mower just fine. The 72” mower is also a little nicer behind a CK25 because it is wider than the tracks.

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #8  
Hello J, Go for the Ck30, the 1,100 will be well worth the money for the extra performance you get.. I just bought the Ck30. Its a beautiful tractor. I am also a big guy 6 3" 250 and find the tractor comfortable and spacious for my needs. Ive been limited to use because i still have a foot of snow on my property and spring is sure coming slow here this year in Upstate Ny. This sight is terrific and there is an abundance of knowledge to be found. Make sure you use the search engine and list the different tractors and implements your looking at and im sure youll find what your looking for.. Matt

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #9  
I'm not an expert by any means, but I will give a contrarian view to the previous responses. I just got a CK25 HST because I think it meets my needs and money means something. (My tractor is worth more than the total of three of my cars!)

I started thinking the CK20 would be adequate and I think it would be for me (5 acres pasture, 10 ac woods). But with a HST, the CK20 was going to be only $700 less than the cash price CK25 HST. And the CK25 is a lot more loader and tractor than the CK20. The cash price CK30 was $1300 more than the CK25. Neither one was on the lot with both to be ordered from Kioti in NC.

One thing I found with tractor shopping... you can always get a lot more for another $1000! But, you have to stop somewhere. I would try to see what the best deal your dealer will do for you on either one, leaving the implements out of it.

One thing on implements, my neighbor has a rear blade and box blade that he says I can borrow any time. It is tough to break those things beyond reasonable repair, so I think I will take him up on it and save my money for other implements. I would not want to borrow a rotary cutter or finish mower.

/ Ck25 vs Ck 30 - Which one?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mowing normal grass a 25HP tractor will pull the 72” mower just fine. The 72” mower is also a little nicer behind a CK25 because it is wider than the tracks. )</font>
Well, that's good to know Jon. I've never used that mower, so I'm glad to hear about the experiences your customers have had. I know frame wise, there's no problem. I agree, using a finish mower for a brush mower is a mistake, that is, if it's really woody, tough material one is trying to cut. That's what a brush mower is for! John