PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!)

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #1  

Maineiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
LB1914
My LB1914 TLB was delivered yesterday. I assume that the PTO speed for the hoe should be 540, but this wasn't clear from the manual. Any thoughts?
By the way, I love my little tractor. I've already enjoyed myself immensely and I haven't even begun the project for which I purchased the machine.
I read the posts about New England dealers being a little pricey. I live in Maine but purchased my Kioti from Carver in North Carolina. Great price--including delivery--and great service. The only glitch was the lack of availability of the 12" bucket--a problem that's been going around, I gather. Carver is going to send me one (no charge) as soon as they become available. I'm using a 16" for the moment.

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #2  
Yes you should use 540 RPM. You can start your engine RPM's down low at first till you get use to the BH then you can bump it up to the PTO speed indicated by the red triangle on the dash. Lower the engine RPM's the slower the hoe will go! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #3  
Congratulations on your new tractor and welcome to the pack! As far as pto speed, lower rpm = slower BH movement as Jon said. Good to do for the learning curve.
Also, if you can keep the 16" bucket after you get the 12", I would. It's nice to have different sized buckets for different jobs. Good luck and keep posting.

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #4  
PTO speed? I'm a little confused. Are you using a separate hydraulic pump run from the PTO? If not, the PTO will have nothing to do with the hoe, but the engine RPM will have an effect on the flow rate. My hoe is plumbed off the power beyond on the main valve and if I run it at 540, it's just too fast on the swing unless I'm very careful to feather it. It also uses a lot more fuel that way. I find mine is about right at around 21-2300 RPM.
I'm sure you'll notice that when you go side to side, or swing, it's quite fast and can bang hard at the end stop.
John

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!)
On my tractor, the hoe is run from a separate hydraulic pump that mounts directly to the PTO.

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #6  
Maineiac, congratulations on the new tractor. My bh also runs from a PTO driven pump. I am still running mine a bit below 540 rpm because I am still learning and like it moving a bit slower. A friend uses that name in his email. Beautiful State!
CT_Jeff

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #7  
John,

I think he needed the PTO pump as the hydraulics on that tractor are not quite enough to run a backhoe. I stand corrected if this is not the case. Jon?

Steve

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think he needed the PTO pump as the hydraulics on that tractor are not quite enough to run a backhoe. I stand corrected if this is not the case. Jon? )</font>

Well, I thought it might be the case, and I know people are using extraneous pumps on other models as well. It's a good way of helping to keep the main system cleaner too. John

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!)
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on the PTO speed. I do like the idea that the hydraulics on the hoe are completely separate from the main hydraulic system.
As I am still learning, I'm not running at the 540 rpm PTO speed.

/ PTO speed for KB2365 hoe (on my new LB1914!) #10  
On my (also new) LB1914 the BackHoe, a Rhino BH65, also has an entirely self-contained hydraulic system that runs off the tractor's PTO.