New to Kioti

/ New to Kioti #1  

kcarver141

I ahve looked at the other brands out there and came across this one. On Saturday I drove 100 miles to test drive a CK20 manual and HST. The HST pedal is in an awkward place, to far back (I'm 6'2") and the manual just does'nt seem right. What is the purpose of split brakes if they are on the same side as the HST pedal or the throttle? I then saw a CK30HST, WOW. That machine was sweet! The HST was in a perfect location for comfort and operation (still can't figure out the split brakes on the same side as the HST pedal) and the dealer said the CK25HST is the same. My real question is (CK25): what is a shuttle shift? I think it means that you put the rig in a gear and then on the left side of steering wheel is a forward/neuteral/reverse lever. Do you have to push a clutch?
Now the particulars: I have 2.5 level acres, 1.75 is pasture the rest is where the house is (I have a riding mower for that). I also have 800' of gravel drive. I live in Western WA and snow is generally not a problem. I have 80+ fir trees and am looking at a 3pt log splitter for firewood.
Any Info will help!
Thanks
Kevin
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New to Kioti #2  
I would think with 2.5 acres you'd really be looking at overkill with anything larger than a small frame compact. The CK20 size tractor would be perfect. The CK25/30 are much larger, as you saw, but really are pretty large for your property. Heck, lots of folks have sub-CUTs on property that size and even larger.

/ New to Kioti #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The HST was in a perfect location for comfort and operation (still can't figure out the split brakes on the same side as the HST pedal) )</font>

Many of the machines of all name brads have the same set up, there have been many post of ways to use the individual, pedals. but i for one never had the need.

/ New to Kioti #4  
The split brake pedals assist in turning. Pressing the left pedal brakes the left side and helps a left turn. The right pedal is vise versa. Yes, the clutch is used for changing gears and changing direction with the shuttle shift.

/ New to Kioti #5  
<font color="blue">Now the particulars: I have 2.5 level acres, 1.75 is pasture the rest is where the house is (I have a riding mower for that). I also have 800' of gravel drive. </font>

I think this boils down to 'what you need' vs.'what you want.'

'what you need'......
I'd say the CK20 would handle your given tasks and then some. However....sounds like you'd be a bit cramped in the operators area.

'what you want'......
The CK25/30 has a bit more creature comfort. Larger operators area, adjustable spring suspension seat, tilt wheel. More overall capacities. Since you have a riding lawnmower to mow around the house I would recommend the CK25 or the CK30.

<font color="blue">still can't figure out the split brakes on the same side as the HST pedal </font>

On the HST models the brake pedals can be separated. To use the brakes to aid in turning the tractor around you set the cruise control. One brake pedal will release the cruise control the other does not. You use the brake pedal that does NOT release the cruise control to aid in turning the tractor.

Don

/ New to Kioti #6  
Welcome to TBN.
The CK25 is not much more than a CK20, and probably is just right for your size. It IS a little bit large, but it's not too big for your place. I've seen much larger tractor being used on that size property. Since you're not planning to mow a nice lawn with it, it doesn't matter that much unless you think you couldn't get around with it, but I doubt that.
The CK25 offers a good bit more than the CK20 with telescoping hitch arms and stabilizers, a tilt wheel and other goodies not on the CK20. For the price difference, the CK25 is a better value in my opinion.
Of course, if you think you'll be upping your property in the future, you may want to go ahead and get the CK30. I still think it's best to have a little more than you need than less.
John

/ New to Kioti #7  
Similar thing happend to me - went to get a CK20, and ended up with an LK3054. You have the operation of the shuttle correct, but you do have to clutch. On a syncro shuttle like the CKs have, you do not have to come to a complete stop. I really like my shuttle shift. Also, I use the steering brakes fairly often, and at least one of the projects I did would have been impossible without them.

/ New to Kioti #8  
If the CK20 is too small, it's too small phisically not HP wise. If a 6'2" guy can't get around that there isn't a whole heck of alot you can do unless another manufacturer has the same HP but configured different to fit your size. The other questions seem to have been answered for 'ya but do this once. Be patient , do as much research as you can , test drive other makes so you can make a reasonable educated buying decision