LB1914 or CK20

/ LB1914 or CK20 #1  

edh

I want to clear about 5 acres of trees that have grown over an old field since the big fire of 1947. The ground has grown a few rocks since then too. I also want to make a perimeter road around my 13 acres which will be about 3300 feet in length.

I will also need to remove snow from about 300 feet of a 20 foot wide road. The average annual snowfall for this area (Southern Maine) is about six feet.

I've decided to purchase a Kioti tractor and have received prices for a LB-1914 TLB and a CK-20 TLB that are within $400 of each other.

The backhoe is the same for each tractor.

The loaders differ, KL1210 on the LB1914 and KL120 on the CK20.
One loader lifts a little more, one has larger diameter lift cylinders and one is a fraction of a second faster to raise and lower.

The engines are rated to within a fraction of a horsepower of each other as is the PTO horse power.

Is the only significant difference old styling vrs. new styling?

Please help this deer-poachin' swamp yankee to choose the right tractor.

/ LB1914 or CK20 #2  
Well, in some ways this is a tough one. There ARE differences, and I'm not sure that as a new user you would apprciate them yet.
The LK1914 has a mechanical shuttle shift, the CK20 gear does not, but is syncronized between reverse and first, which in effect gives you a form of shuttle. In case I'm talking too much shop talk, a shuttle shift allows one to choose a gear to work in, and then simply switch between forward and reverse with another lever. A mechanical shuttle requires one to clutch, stop the tractor, shift and then go. A synchronized shuttle doesn't require the tractor to stop before shifting. The CK20HST, probably the easiest, doesn't require any shifting except between low and high range. One hand on the sterring wheel, one on the joystick and your foot quickly moving you between forward and reverse with no respect to stopping completely first.
I suggest that either of these tractor will do what you want, but if I were you, and you can, I'd spend just a bit more for the CK25 which is on a larger frame, can pull larger implements, has more features such as a tilt steering wheel, shychronized shuttle shift or HST, telescoping 3pt hitch arms (easier hook ups), and telescoping stabilizer bars (to keep the implement centered between and off the rear tires), cruise control. The CK25 also has 3 ranges on the HST as opposed to only two on the CK20. Only two ranges on the shuttle shift model.
There is not a huge difference in price for the CK20 over the CK25, has a little more capacities on the hitch and loader as well.
One thing I like so much better about the CKs is the sloping hood and curved arm loader design. This does make a good bit of difference to me in the view of work in front of me with the loader on. The 1914 is square front and "dog leg" loader arms which restrict to some degree the visibility, but it's a tough old stand by tractor that I've heard more than a few people praise for it's toughness and ability.
The choice is, of course, yours, but were I in your shoes, it would be the CK25.
John

/ LB1914 or CK20 #3  
Other than the differences that John already pointed out the LB1914 may have a slight mechanical advantage over the CK20 owing to having larger rear wheels. I looked them both over and ended up with the CK20, the looks of the CK20 as well as the front end loader had me wanting to lean towards it even though I really wanted the shuttle shift of the LB1914. The dealmaker for me was the fact that the LB1914 had no MID PTO option and I really wanted a MMM. Thankfully I was gifted with a good mechanical reason to go with the prettier tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think John is also correct in saying that the price difference between the CK25 gear and the LB1914 and CK20 is not that great. The fact that you are looking into a TLB package may broaden the price divide though. Happy hunting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards, Jamie

/ LB1914 or CK20 #4  
I guess I have to disagree with John on this one. If you stick with the LB1914 or CK20, they're both very similar. While the CK20 is pretty (I really like the way it looks), I don't think style matters much in tractors. The LB gives you a shuttle shift, which I think is better even given the CK's synchronized reverse. And you get a little more weight and the bigger tires.

See if you can move up to the LK3054XS - I come out the same place on the comparison of the LK and the CK25. You'll learn to love square when you find out what it can do!

/ LB1914 or CK20 #5  
<font color="red"> See if you can move up to the LK3054XS </font>

As much as I like the CK20, I really think Chris is right in that you should see if you can step up in size given the jobs you are talking about. Clearing snow from a 20' wide road that gets 6' of snow is going to be a project in itself. I have no doubt the smaller tractors can do it, but it they will likely be using a 48"-to-54" snow blower or a 5' rear blade. Going up to a 30hp tractor would give you a 68"-to-72" snow blower because you'll have more PTO hp available. I think the extra size would help with the other tasks too.

If money is a critical issue, look to the LK3054, or if you can swing it, consider the very capable CK30. I often think people consider buying too large of a tractor, but in this case I think you might be aiming too small.

/ LB1914 or CK20 #6  
I have had a 1914 tlb for 3 years and 300 hrs and have cleared the pitch pine and scrub oak that grew back from the fire of 47 . I put a 6.5 ft snowplow and plow 3/4 of a mile camp road and when that road gets 8 ft. wide I use thebucket to knock the banks back. It's a tough little tractor . But 3054 or ck 25 would do it faster if you could afford. I also york rake this road with a 7 ft york rake Wart

/ LB1914 or CK20 #7  
I was recently faced with exactly the same choice and being new to tractors had no prior knowledge on such things as Shuttle Shifts and HST. I started my search on a Chinese tractor, moving to Kioti for the quality comparing the CK20 and LB1914 and opting in the end for the LB1914 for such reasons as the size, weight, which helps keep the feet on the ground for the heavy jobs, and just a touch little more PTO horsepower, which I probably can not notice, and, of course, cost.

My tight clearances ruled out bigger machines and the LB1914 has proven to be extremely happy heading up and down my hills and valleys pulling a rotary cutter or mower, moving whatever I ask from once place to another with the loader over which I think the visibility is just fine, and digging out trees, such as the attached photograph, even stumps.

Of course a bigger tractor would mean bigger attachments but using a five-foot mower may mean that I have to take a couple or three more turns around the fields than with a six foot mower to get the job done, but it is seat time, which is supposed to be enjoyable, so that is certainly not a problem.

KRK

Attachments

• 652219-treesout01.JPG
    652219-treesout01.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 243
   / LB1914 or CK20 #8  
I'm really surprised the the difference is only $400...I would expect at least $1000, and even as high as $1500 difference between the two...I really like the LB, even almost bought one before I heard about the CK20 coming out...and chances are I will buy a used one in a few years as a second mowing unit.
-mark-

/ LB1914 or CK20 #9  
Personally, I prefer the LB1914 over the CK20. I needed a machine that could get through a backyard gate with a narrow profile. The 1914 has a little more power at the PTO than the CK20, but it looks a whole lot tougher with the 36" bucket on the hoe.

/ LB1914 or CK20 #10  
Mathey, I know where you can still get a used 1914 with a rear pto driven belly mower.........It's been there for several weeks now. Maybe they have come off of their original asking price by now. It's got your name all over it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif