CK25HST, is it right for me?

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #1  

BigDogues

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25hst
Morning guys,
I have a 90 acre lot, mostly wooded, perhaps a acre or so of grass and a 1500 ft. driveway to maintain. I have been looking around at tractors now for a little while. Had considered a SCUT but I really think that it would be too small for my needs. In the CUTs I have to say that I am really impressed with the CK25hst. A very nice machine for the money. I am looking for a machine primarily to move snow and that I can also use to cut grass and do other general maintainance with. I live in central NH and we can get a fair amount of snow sometimes. Do you think that I would be happy with this machine with a rear mount snowblower? I would like to add a Sims cab to it as well. Any issues that I should be aware of? What do you think is a good price for the base tractor with FEL?
Thanks in advance.

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #2  
Welcome. I'd say you won't be unhappy but what are your intensions for the 90 acres? The driveway a CK25HST can handle just fine. If your requirements exceed your description that I'd get a price difference on the CK30 HST as the hydro's do use up some power on PTO attachments. the 25 and the 30 are the same except for the HP

/ CK25HST, is it right for me?
Not much. I'd like to keep most of it wooded. There are some old skidder trails that I would probably even out and brush cut so I could get around. I am putting the house on top of a hill so to take in the view I am having the trees cut. That means I will be replacing it with grass, which I'll have to cut.
My biggest concern was the snow removal and driveway maintenance. The dealer suggest the best way (best bang for the buck) to go was to use a rear mount snow blower and put a blade up front. Sounds like a good idea but I am a little concerned about doing that much backwards driving. Suppose I could try it for a year and always upgrade later if I wasn't happy.
As far as taking care of the driveway, what would you recommend? I was going to put down hard pack. Would a box blade be a good tool to keep the drive nice and smooth or would something else work better?
I had considered the CK20 but I think it may be too small for this driveway. For a little more why not go for the bigger machine, right?

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #4  
I think you should get a price on a ck30hst. I paid 20,500.00 for ck30hst tlb 3 months ago.

Regards;
Glen

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #5  
WOW, 90 acres of New Hampsire woods, sweet.
You might want to look at the ck30. I dont think the price is much more. Mine was about 16,000 w/ fel. The 30 will probably run a larger blower. I am new at this but can't get used to the twisted, looking over my shoulder, method of running backwards. A front mounted blower would be nice but I think they are big $.
My CK30 has opened a lot of doors so you will probably find youself doing a lot with it.
Good luck, Larry.

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #6  
If you put down something like bluestone, a rear blade or the box will do just fine. An advantage with the blade is if you spin it 180 degrees for snow removal but that makes you drive backwards again. You'll get used to going backwards..............plus a blower gets the snow out of the way which in NH, is essential because of the amount of snowfall. If I were you, I'd try the CK20HST and the CK25HST to see if the power difference is something you can or cannot live with

Well I looked at a similar machine with a front mounted snow blower. Had a subframe mount and everything. Nice but adds 5 to 6k. Whew! I think I might suffer for a while with a rear mount, heated cab and 1000+ left in my pocket. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #8  
Welcome to TBN.
I have to agree, the little bit extra for the CK25, with all of it's extra features and larger size make it a better deal than the CK20. The CK20 though, will do what you need to do. But I think the larger frame of the CK25 will be more suitable in the long run. Hook up will be easier with the telescoping hitch arms as well.

A good boxblade should do the work you need on the drive, but it will take practice, learning just how to set the top link and scarifiers to do what you need to do.

I know nothing about snow blowers, so you're on your own.

Some will say the CK25 is too heavy for mowing (I assume you mean finish, not brush), but I don't agree unless you have low lying clay that stay pretty wet most of the time. I drive my CK20 all over the lawn all the time without problems on my sandy soil, unless it's VERY wet for a while. But then, I can even drive my motorhome on it too.

RedDog mows a lot of his lawn with a DK65!

John

/ CK25HST, is it right for me? #9  
<font color="blue">RedDog mows a lot of his lawn with a DK65! </font>

Yep, and usually with an ice cold beverage in the cup holder. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm going to start a new thread about mowing with a heavy tractor soon with some pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

RedDog

Well one of my local dealers dropped off a CK25hst for me to demo for the weekend. Yee Ha! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So far I am very impressed with this machine. But I if I buy it I would definitly have to add a toothbar to the bucket. I am also considering purchasing of a grapple or grapple rake.
Any input as to a decent grapple rake to add to this tractor? I did a little seaching on the web but most of the ones that I see weigh in at about 700+ lbs. Seems to me you would want something strong but light so your not using up all your power just moving the rake. I want to be able to move brush and rocks around when I need to, but I don't want to over do it.