DK45 for Lawn mowing?

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
For all of you that have a DK45, do you use it for lawn cutting?

Problem I have is 6 acres or so for mowing, another 20-30 for bush hogging.

On the 6 acres, I'm also looking at tree planting, post holes for fence, and moving mulch, as well as working on the driveway.

Figure I would have to use industrial tires.

Just trying to figure out the largest tractor I can get that I could use on the lawn as well for the pasture without "diggiing" up my lawn.

At this point, I may get a ZTR for the lawn, but...I would like to do work around the lawn with a tractor. Would the DK45 be "to big" to ride on the lawn to do work with?

Any feedback on personal use with this tractor on the lawn would be appreciative (sp?).

Thks

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing? #2  
I own a DK45 C and use it with a 72" rear mounted finish mower to mow yards. Now I don't have yards that are very wet for long periods of time. I just use a push mower to do a little trim.

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing?
Appreciate the feedback.

From the general forum the impression that I got was that anything over 40hp would be too big to mow any grass.

Problem as mention is that I have two "parcels" that are divided. 6 acres around the house, then 34+ behind the house. I do have work to do around the house and would like to be able to use the tractor for digging holes, moving trees, mulch and such.

Worried that anything over 40hp would just tear up the lawn too much.

Again, thanks

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing? #5  
Just delivered a Toro z master 27hp 72" Turbo Deck (you need to hear this deck run it sounds like a vacuum) to a customer that was doing the same quanity of mowing and cutting as you.

He had a 50hp kubota and a 84" FM for the yard.

The FM left clumps of grass and did not do well on the details.

I dropped it off he jumped on it mowed an acre while I put the ramps up and the my reciept book out.

He said it blew the doors off his FM and no clumps. The grass was blown clear and clippings spread evenly.

Oh yes you can mow and work in your yard with a 45 golf courses do.

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing? #6  
Yes, with zero lift blades I could see leaving clumps. I have used high lift blades on an 84" Land Pride (currently behind a 50hp Kubota) and it finish mows just as nice as a well sharpened reel mower. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has performed flawlessly for 12 years now. I only get clumps if I try to mow wet grass and then cut about 8 to 10" off at a time. Unless you are bagging, that will happen with any mower under those conditions.

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing? #7  
What type of soil is under the lawn and what type of tires are you going to be using?

I have red Virginia clay around my house, and filled R1s. If the ground is even slightly damp the tractor leaves noticeable imprints, and if the ground is wet it'll leave two inch deep ruts. On the sandy loam at my cabin the same tractor doesn't create a noticeable disturbance, even after two days of heavy rain.

If you have clay soil R3s or R4s may reduce the visible effects, but I can't comment from personal experience. A couple of other things to consider is if you do have heavy clay, the tractor may cause consider soil compression with any tire style and you may have to aerate often to compensate. And if you have a septic system such a heavy mower, again subject to your particular circumstances, may damage both the tank and the leach field.

Factoring the above with the DK45’s limited maneuverability (compared to smaller alternatives) and potential to cause a lot of damage to buildings or vehicles from even a very minor operator error I don’t think it makes a good lawn mowing machine. The cost of a good finish mower sized for the DK45 goes a long way toward buying a ZTR or garden tractor.

/ DK45 for Lawn mowing?
DK45_Jeff

I live in central North Carolina.

Red clay under the lawn.

Actaully, I am thinking on getting a ZTR, but...there will be some tree planting/removing, holes dug, fence laid in and mulch moving and such.

It would be nice for a 40+hp tractor to mow, but it will not be a nessesity (sp?).

What would be nice is that I can use the tractor on both "parcels" of land, because the tractor will be used primarily for bush hogging 30 acres or so, fencing and some FEL work. I don't want to come up short on hp for this use.

I could "live" with a ZTR and tractor, I can't get a ZTR and two tractors!

From reading the replys here, can I assume the lawn would be safe with a tractor weight under 4000lbs? I'll also have to consider the FEL as well.

Thinking the DK45 was listed at about 4500lbs without the FEL.

Tires will be another issue, but thinking I could get by with r4s for bushhogging, because the Ags would be too tough on the lawn (for FEL work or hole digging and such).

Thanks for the input.