Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #1  

Makato

This is my first tractor purchase and although some dealers have nice showrooms, others are small and have lots where everything is kept outside. I've looked at many tractors and implements and there seems to be an issue of dings, rust etc on these units that have been out on the lots. Considering the $ investment, should a guy expect showroom condition or is that asking to much. I had a dealer tell me its just the way it is with shipping that things get banged up.
Should there be discounts for equipment that is not showroom new. Obviously its going to get beat up the first time you use it.
Are my expectations to high or should they be?????

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #2  
Yeah this issue has arrose at our dealershipt several times. We stock a LOT of inventory (tractors & equipment) and we just can't afford to cover everything. So naturally certain things will sit for a while and fade a little. We do give discounts, where appropriate, if something is faded a little or has a rust spot or two on it. We just this past year built a shed to keep all of our Cub Cadet mowers under (the ones that aren't in the showroom). But for the most part you shouldn't expect to buy a new tractor that is sun faded and has rust on it, absolutly not...at least not for an "as new" price. Equipment is a different story, tractors shouldn't be faded and rusty...just my take on it.

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements
I appreciate that response. I've looked at some tractors that have been on the lot a few months. Dings on the ROPS, 3-point and other areas that have rusted. What about hours on a tractor. One dealer has put around 4 hours on the tractor by driving it down to the local fair etc. Doesn't seem like a lot but 4 hours on a new tractor seems excessive.

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #4  
<font color="blue">This is my first tractor purchase and although some dealers have nice showrooms, others are small and have lots where everything is kept outside. </font>

I have never ever been to a tractor dealership of any brand that had everything inside.

I didn't have any rust or problems with dents on mine (2002). My tractor still looks like new. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think Gamble hit it right.

RedDog

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #5  
I've bought two tractors from the same dealer and both had set outside awhile, but not long enough to fade. However, they did have a few little nicks, probably from shipping. One had to wait for a FEL to be ordered and installed, and I know that the dealer used a little touch up paint on them before delivery, so when they were delivered they looked showroom new.

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #6  
This is something we as dealers battle all the time with the manufactures.
Most ever ck25-30 we get the roll bar is scratched because they ship them under the tractor straped to the metal crate and you have to lift the machine off the crate to get the roll bar out.

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One dealer has put around 4 hours on the tractor by driving it down to the local fair etc. Doesn't seem like a lot but 4 hours on a new tractor seems excessive. )</font>

4 hours is not excessive. 8 or 9 is still considered new -- that's just a little puttering. If it goes over 10 or 15 or so, I'd want to know why.

Cliff

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #8  
Cliffjohn and Gamble are the way we view it. We can't keep everything under roof. I wish we could, we actually lose money because we can't. If a tractor gets above 9-10 hrs we put a "demo" price on it. With implements, we have to look at condition. Some weather better than others, with discounts accordingly. I think most dealers are like this.
This depends alot on area too. If a dealership is in the North it may be weathered worse (snow etc) or be better because these guys more likely have more indoors. Down south, more fading, less rust.
RedDog did you ever let your wife put her car back in the garage?? LOL

KO

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #9  
<font color="blue"> RedDog did you ever let your wife put her car back in the garage?? </font>

I most certainly did!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You haven't been here in a while. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have the major $$$$$ concrete work done for the barn. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedDog

/ Buy/Condition of new Tractor and Implements #10  
Small dings and rust on unpainted surfaces is very common, but the painted areas shouldn't be faded or untouched up if paying new prices. A good touch up on small paint dings wouldn't mean much to me. As the others said, 4 hours is nothing and probably also helps to show that no bugs are present.
John