Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #1  

pheesh

So... I went out tractor shopping this weekend, I've spent a year looking at the CK30 and think I know the pro's & cons. Since I hate haggling, I went out to 4 different Kioti dealers this past weekend and told myself whoever gave me the best deal, I was going back the next weekend and buying the tractor. I was also leaning towards dealers that were closer, because that would probably save me some money in the long run (towing back for service, warranty work, etc).

I was also upfront with the dealers when I got pricing that this was my plan.

Here's my problem, I really liked the dealer that was closest to me. Just talking to him, he seemed like decent folk. Problem is for the same tractor, he was about $1900 more. Dealer with the good price is about 50 miles farther away.

I don't want to play one dealer against the other, simply to drive down the price because I don't think that's the way to start a good relationship.

Any advice?

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #2  
Hello Pheesh, Where are you located if i may ask? How did the two dealerships compare in having mechanics on staff? Did you feel comfortable with both dealers? 1900 is a pretty significant difference in pricing. If you felt comfortable with the dealer 50 miles away, id go with them.. My dealer is 80 miles from me and he was an excellent dealer. I passed up on 4 others that were closer. Ive never regretted it for a minute.. My machine has performed above all expectations for me, id do it all over again.. Good luck.. Matt

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #3  
pheesh said:
I don't want to play one dealer against the other, simply to drive down the price because I don't think that's the way to start a good relationship.

Any advice?

Tell us what area you are in, and the prices you recieved.

Your lowest price might have been a "Blow it out the door" from a dealer that is far enough away for him not to worry about service after the sale.

Tough descision.

Maybe you should go back to the dealer you liked, tell him about the vast difference in price and ask him why he though it was.

His answer might help you decide. Maybe he can throw some things in to sweeten the deal.

Loaded Tires and a free 50 hour service come to mind.

Jim

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30
I'm in ohio, quotes were for a ck30, loader, backhoe, specs identical from both dealers

22,780 plus delivery (about $100) vs 21,000 delivered.

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #5  
That can be tough. Although I try to spend my money wisely, I don't mind paying a little more to be comfortable with my investment, especially when talking about a big purchase(for me) like a tractor. But $1900 for the same machine is significant. I am pretty handy with a wrench but I definitely went with a dealer with an established track record as well as a excellent service "department". Plus they were just excellent folks to deal with, talked to at least five different employees & the owner and present owners of their equipment. I wouldn't and didn't pit one dealer against another when I was in shopping mode, like you didn't feel comfortable doing it. Maybe room to work with the closer dealer you liked in "packaging", or service or maybe he had bargining room build into his initial price. If comfortable with the guy further away, that they'll back the product, answer your calls and generally treat you like a valued customer, go with them since $1900 is a fair amount of greenbacks. Could use that towards a few tractor toys for sure.

I know you stated both machines were spec'd the same, but are the both '06s? Or is it possible the one further away is a hold-over '05 on liquidation? There was a price increase on the '06s. Does the cheaper(less expensive) one come with the four year warranty?

Good luck. You'll love the 30 no matter which one you end up with.:) ;o

WK

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #6  
pheesh said:
Here's my problem, I really liked the dealer that was closest to me. Just talking to him, he seemed like decent folk. Problem is for the same tractor, he was about $1900 more. Dealer with the good price is about 50 miles farther away.

Any advice?

Business is business. I'd say if you like the closer dealer you should tell him so and also that unfortunately his price is substantially higher than the competition. If he wants your business he'll adjust. I don't see that as nickel and diming or messing up a relationship with the dealer. He's not going to sell you a tractor for a price he isn't happy with so he'll still be a good dealer for you even if he drops his price.

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #7  
The 4 year warranty applies to all new tractors sold after it went into effect in april, regardless of date of manufacture, so at least that is not a concern. As a dealer, If I quote with "wiggle room" to handle a last minute trade in, change in finance/rebate decision, or maybe actually make a profit, I risk running off the 'give me your best price" non-game playing buyer. If I shoot my best price off the line, and the buyer is one that has to squeeze someting off the deal, if I don't bend, I send a guy out the door who will possibly tell his friends that I am "hard to deal with". It is frustrating. There was a fairly significant price change last year on kiotis as has been said. Some big dealers will work on volume and sell at low margin, some small dealers will sell at little to no margin to get something off of floorplan or to get a sale that might go elsewhere, or just to build the customer base in the area. If you like your closest dealer, you might give him another shot. at least if you go elsewhere, and do business with him later on parts or service, you both will know that you gave him a fighting chance to earn the business.

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #8  
Hi Pheesh,

First, let me say I recently (end of June) bought my first tractor. Here's what I did, for what it's worth.

First, I picked the dealer who spent the time to answer all of my questions and made me feel comfortable that they'll stand behind their product later on. the dealer I chose let me play with every tractor on his lot one day. I was there for hours and they patiently answered every dumb, newbie question I had.

Second, one of the criteria I used was that many of the dealers in my area aren't open on Saturday and the dealer I chose is open on Saturday's. I work Monday through Friday early AM until late PM so Saturday hours are very important for me.

Third, my dealer has an implement loaner program for his customers only. So if I need a Post Hole Digger once every two years, I can rent/borrow his rather than buying one of my own. I even looked over his selection to see if it was one implement or a good variety and He has implements I can borrow that I wouldn't know what to do with.

So those are three non-price factors I used to make my decision. For me, price is very important but it is not the only factor.

If you are still unsure, pick the dealer you feel most comfortable with and then go and talk to them. If their price is $1,900 more, tell them so and offer a compromise. Like IslandTractor said, ask that they include free pickup and delivery, maybe a free service, or ask them to knock a few dollars off the price.

One last thing, I mentioned before that I was new to tractors. However, I am a Financial Controller at a Automotive company and my experience with vendors is "beware of the lowest bid"! I have found many times over that the lowest price vendor ends up costing you dearly! If the closest dealer is willing to openly discuss pricing with you and work towards a win-win solution, they will probably be a good partner in the long run.

Last thing...no matter who you pick, insist on a free hat!

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #9  
If that's a shiftless CK30H price,it is good compared to up here. If it is gear then with exchange rate it is about right.

One thing to remember. If you ever want to use the closer dealer for anything,what is having him there worth to you?

/ Getting ready to pull the trigger on a CK30 #10  
Not sure where you are located in Ohio but if your referring to a dealer in the NE let me know. I would like to share a few experiences I had with them.

Deaf