3 point backhoes

/ 3 point backhoes #1  

grapevine

OK - I finally settled on and purchased an 05 DK 35 with 350 hours on it and a 1450 front end loader. I played with it a little bit this weekend and I believe I will be well satisfied with it. I havn't put the 2 bottom plow on it yet, but I don't anticipate problems. I will be picking up a used backhoe for it at some point, probably sooner rather than later. I don't plan on any heavy work - some french drains and various other light trenching jobs. My question is - can I get away with a 3 point backhoe or MUST i get one with a mounting frame. I'm only going to use it light duty - honest - and was planning on getting a relatively small hoe so that it does not put excessive strain on the tractor. I had a small Woods on my little 5015 Allis years ago for a summer to dig a couple hundred feet of trench and had no problems. I've heard the horror stories but I plan on being very careful. What are your thoughts? Thanks for any input.

/ 3 point backhoes #2  
I've never owned a BH before, but if you do the cost/benifit analysis of a 3 point vs. subframe, I wouldn't even consider a 3 point backhoe. A subframe mount doesn't cost a great deal more, you don't have to worry as much about stressing the tractor, and from what I've heard and seen a subframe BH is easier to install and remove.

/ 3 point backhoes #3  
Get a subframe mount, and get the biggest one that will fit your tractor safely.

/ 3 point backhoes #4  
grapevine said:
OK - I finally settled on and purchased an 05 DK 35 with 350 hours on it and a 1450 front end loader. I played with it a little bit this weekend and I believe I will be well satisfied with it. I havn't put the 2 bottom plow on it yet, but I don't anticipate problems. I will be picking up a used backhoe for it at some point, probably sooner rather than later. I don't plan on any heavy work - some french drains and various other light trenching jobs. My question is - can I get away with a 3 point backhoe or MUST i get one with a mounting frame. I'm only going to use it light duty - honest - and was planning on getting a relatively small hoe so that it does not put excessive strain on the tractor. I had a small Woods on my little 5015 Allis years ago for a summer to dig a couple hundred feet of trench and had no problems. I've heard the horror stories but I plan on being very careful. What are your thoughts? Thanks for any input.
Get subframe

/ 3 point backhoes #5  
grapevine said:

Get a subframe! :)

/ 3 point backhoes #6  
I have a subframe mounted bh and I have had that thing pulling so hard on the bottom of a stump that the front of the tractor started to lift. If that was a 3pt mount, I can garauntee it would have caused some damage. Removing it takes a whole 3 mins or so. I doubt it's that easy on a 3pt mount.

/ 3 point backhoes #7  
I have a frame mount unit on my CK30 but my brother-in-law has a 3ph unit with its own PTO pump mounted on a small 21hp Kioti (I forget the model). He uses his for very light work digging bushes and small rocks etc. It has served him well. It is not very strong but strong enough to drag the tractor around during use. Obviously price is a consideration that is why my B-I-L bought his. Unless you really don't use it for more than you anticipate and take it easy you could probably get by. If on the other hand you try to get the maximum out of it like me you may end up in trouble. Good Luck, hope this helps.

/ 3 point backhoes #8  
Both mine are subframes but a friend I have has an old Ford like mine and he bought some kind of hoe that wasn't even really set-up for his unit (that not being 3 pt or a sub-frame) I dont know what it came off of. My point being that he went out to a couple local welding shops to see if he could get them to bolt/weld up some brackets or something to make it fit his unit. Not only did they not utilize the 3 pt system (which was the intention) but they made quick brackets to go right to the subframe! Well, its just as fast on/off as our newer stuff. Actually our old units dont have the same type of sub-frame setup as the new stuff but you get the point. I think he paid $250 for the fabrication! It might do some good to check out a local fabrication shop before you purchase. The backhoe cost him $450 (no doubt because it wouldn't bolt up to anything anybody else owned around here, so they got rid of it cheap). Who knows, for $700 you might get what you need too? Besides, fab shops LOVE tinkering with our stuff, so sometimes its not about the money for them. Locally, now is the season to do this stuff because all the farms around here ramp up in a month or two. PS. It was a 12' hoe as well... Tom

/ 3 point backhoes #9  
grapevine,
If you find a killer deal on a three-point backhoe in the size you want , go ahead and buy it. Then, buy a sub-frame from Kioti for your size tractor and adapt it to the backhoe. That way you won't damage the tractor and you won't be out as much money as buying a new sub-frame hoe.

Last edited:
   / 3 point backhoes
Thanks for the responses everyone. As tempting as it was to go 3 point, I opted for a subframe Rhino 75 for 5500.00. That price seemed reasonable. I talked myself into it by telling myself I will sell it in a few years after I have my walls in, french drain dug, topsoil pile dug, etc.;) . My only concern now is ease of putting it on and off although it will be off most of the time and I will "batch" my jobs for when the hoe is on. I am also concerned about the low hanging subframe for when I am tilling, digging out multiflora rose, etc. But I am sure I'll manage.