3-Point Hitch 3 point lift--how does it work???

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #1  

TractorLegend

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 DK 45HST SE w/ FEL
After getting a new rear blade mentioned in another post and coupled with the fact I have a sore neck from crooning around to the rear using it- I got to wondering:
>>>>>>> how does the rear 3 point lift work? <<<<<<
I doesn't appear hydraulic as the arms come out of the sides of the rear end...
plus the controls don't quite work the same as the loader and other hydraulic type controls, its sort of finnicky trying to use it to blade a driveway.

Would a tip and tilt rig help an aging soul??

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #2  
There is one hydraulic cylinder inside the transmission housing under your seat. It attaches to the rockshaft that moves the outside arms.

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #3  
Top n Tilt would be quite helpful. 3PH control isn't very fine, as you have found out. You can also change the effect of your rear blade based on which top link hole you use. The 3 holes give you more or less cutting angle. Me, I want TnT! You can also adjust angle using the right 3 pt. arm level adjust crank.

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #4  
Yes it is hydraulic. A BIG piston that turns the rockshaft that lifts the arms. The lever on mine (JD) lifts arms to the selected point. Then there is a weird option of draft control (wish I Had). Making it even stranger acting.

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #5  
The three point hitch has no down presure, just lift. Seems to me that I saw another post about grading with a rear blade. It's pretty easy if you put adjustable gage wheels on your blade, also when using the gage wheels you can adjust the top link to fine tune the cut. Out for less and in for more. Will try and get some pics of my grading tools in here. I also turn the blade around and lower the casters to keep the blade just off the ground for plowing snow so as not to plow off all the gravel. Good luck.

Attachments

• Landscape Rake (Small) (2).JPG
    Landscape Rake (Small) (2).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 868
  • Grading tools (Small).JPG
    Grading tools (Small).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 765
  • Landsscape rake casters (Small).JPG
    Landsscape rake casters (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 608
  • Caster bracket on Blade 1 (Small).JPG
    Caster bracket on Blade 1 (Small).JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
   / 3 point lift--how does it work??? #6  
Now don't laugh.....

Under a really heavy load, can the 3-point piston come up through the bottom of the seat?

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #7  
MarcusCarr said:
Now don't laugh.....

Under a really heavy load, can the 3-point piston come up through the bottom of the seat?

Sorry but I had to laugh:D :D That could hurt:eek:

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #8  
No the piston doesn't have enough travel to come up thru the seat. Most tractors also have a relief system that trips when the piston reaches a pre- determined point, and stops the travel before the piston comes out of the cylinder.

/ 3 point lift--how does it work??? #9  
   / 3 point lift--how does it work??? #10  
Don't worry about your backside if the 3pt cylinder lets lose. I rebuilt the 3pt hydraulic pump and installed a new pressure relief valve on a 8n Ford I have and now I could really lift things. It worked good. So good, that the original 50 year old cylinder let lose with the end of the cylinder being completely blown off. It does wake you up. Sounds like a shotgun going off right under you. As mentioned, the piston has limited travel and with all the steel of the tractor case, your backside will be safe. No hospital visit required. Just a little, ah ****, and some more parts and work required.