Electrical Question

/ Electrical Question #1  

Bob P

Ok... it's time to use my resources-- The Tractor By Net gang--

My Little workhorse has to be jump started!

On an LB-1914 should I be able to meter some type of output on the Alternator.
(two leads coming off of alternator).

Dash indicator currently lit
All fuses seem OK

Any idea's???

BOB
(first time poster-- long time reader!)

/ Electrical Question #2  
Welcome to TBN Bob:)

A quick and easy way to check your alternator is to put a meter across the battery and record the Voltage (not running) Now get the tractor started (run @ about 1800 rpm) and check the voltage again. Not running usually around 12~12.6 Volts, running @ 1800 rpm around 13.5~14+ volts. Good luck :p .

Will

/ Electrical Question #3  
silly question- is the belt on?

/ Electrical Question
Thanks guys-- I'll meter out this morning, The belt is on (and is tight).

What's the worst case scenario?-- Replace alternator?-- Anything else I should look for- is their a voltage regulator or another part in the system that I should look for?

Thanks again

BOB

/ Electrical Question #5  
Not sure how the 20 is set up but most have the regulator built into the alternator.

/ Electrical Question #6  
After you jump start it and run it a while then turn it off. Will it start or do you have to jump start again each time.

/ Electrical Question #8  
First and foremost CHECK your battery! Put it on charge for an hour or two, then try and start the tractor.
It may be that there are internal problems like a loose plate interconnector that makes you think it's being charged by the alternator.
If I suspect a battery, I attempt to charge it for several hours than load test it with a battery tester, that shows exactly what condition a battery is in! They are fairly cheap and well worth buying!

/ Electrical Question #9  
john47 is correct. check and charge your battery first... clean all cables and clean the ground.

we have had the Kioti for many many years now... the only altinator that was bad came off of a machine that had caught on fire. We do sell a few regulators each year.

/ Electrical Question
Guys-- thanks for all the input. Everything is pointing to the battery. I'll get a new unit on payday and see how it goes. Does everyone have a favorite battery?
It's an Interstate battery in the unit (it was never marked with date code!).
What's the rule-- more CCA the better?

I'll put some new terminals on as well. I cleaned the current terminals and also where the ground screws into the frame. With a new battery and terminals-- I think I'll be back to turning the key instead of using jumper cables!

BOB