CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc?

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #1  

WSJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25
My CK25's a gear model with R4 tires. I've been planning to get a 5 1/2' KK box frame disc but happened on a 6 1/2' model at Tractor Supply this weekend that the manager was willing let me have at a can't pass it up clearance price. Am I going to be able to pull it with the 25?

My intent is to use it for food plots & habitat management, mostly in successional old field communities. The land's relatively level with some slope. It's been fallow for a number of years. Soils are slightly heavy loam with some medium size stones (glacial till and cobble). Think I'll have any trouble with this disc if I don't set it up too aggressively or sock it in too deep?

Thanks. -WSJ

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #2  
I think you will be fine. I use mine for food plots as well, I have a 5' angle iron frame (light duty KK) harrow disc. It works just fine and I have no problems at all pulling it. I would maybe recommend further research on which disc's you get on it. I was dumb and didn't care when I bought mine; it has the serrated blades, not a full round plate. Well when it comes time to use it, the disc doesn't effectively break up the soil unless I add farily good weight to the disc. As well I have to make repeated attempts criss crossing-figure 8's to do any damage to churn the soil up. It does eventually work. Mine is used primarily in southern central PA deep in the woods with plenty of rock. The disc seems to go right over top of the rock

The farmer up the street from me has a much bigger tractor and a bigger disc. I was watching him pull it one day I guess rejuvenating his pasture or something. Anyway his disc had the full plate style no cut outs around the edges. This appeared to do a much more effective job slicing into the soil and turning it over as he made his passes through the pasture.

Note: You will most likely have to through it into 4wd once you start churning up the soil. Since the implement will cause resistance when it comes time to turn the wheels on the front the don't grip so well in the loose soil causeing you to slide. Also for my setup I have weighted tires on R4 with the FEL on for extra weight, I run in low range 3rd or 4th

Hope that helps. - attached is a pic of one of the food plots I used the disc on.

Attachments

• Upperplot pic 1.jpg
    Upperplot pic 1.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 549
   / CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #3  
I have the same disc and I think a Ck25 will pull it just fine. A DK45 has no problem pulling it in high 1 with low RPM. On these light weight frames the notched disc are better at cutting through turf and the round ones are better at breaking up clods and leveling. My KK is a compromise with the leading gangs notched and the trailers round that works well enough for my needs.

Just don't expect too much from this light weight disc, they are not primary tillage implements. For food plots in a heavy loam I suspect this disc will be work just fine after mowing the area. For comparison the soil at my place in Hamilton county NY is a sandy loam with plenty glacial stones. It takes a several passes to break through the turf. In Virginia I have a heavy clay soil this disc is practically useless on unplowed ground, just riding on the surface.

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc?
Thanks both. The disc I'm getting is the combo with notched blades on the front gangs and regular on the rear. I know it's not going to work untilled ground like real ag equipment but I'm thinking it'll do worlds better than the old super lightweight 3-point disc I used to use with a Ford 9N. I figured I'd keep the FEL on for front weight but worry I might have to load the rears but we'll see. The info on what gear you use is helpful too. I'm guessing the disc will work a lot better if I'm able to move it a decent speed. Third or 4th low should be fine if it'll pull it.

7mm, that food plot looks like a great place to kill a spring gobbler but the range looks a bit short to really air out an ultramag!

-WSJ

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #5  
Shoot, I sold that Ultra Mag last fall after 4 years, I could never get used to the insane recoil it packed. I dropped back to a 25-06 rem, much more managable to shoot on a regular basis.

I just never figured out how to change my call sign with out starting a new one.

Each year my food plots seem to get better looking not sure about attracting the wildlife though. It is hard to compete against the farms in my area this year since it seems like everyone has planted corn, hundred of acres of it.

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc?
The corn situation's the same everywhere - lots of acreage due to speculation on projected needs of dozens of ethanol plants being developed.

I've never shot an RUM but do still have an 8mm Rem Mag that'll get your attention. I don't hunt deer with it.

And to get back to the original questions and responses, I think I got a solution to the possibility of the disc bouncing on top of sod. I was in Ohio over the weekend and talked my sister out of an old 3-point hitch 2-bottom plow. So if I can get it back here I ought to be able to roll up some sod if necessary before turning the disc loose. Gee, more seat time . . . .

Thanks again for the info. -WSJ

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #7  
If it's the angle frame disc you should be good but if it's the HD square tube frame (which is much heavier) I'd be reluctant! I have the 6.5 ft square tube frame disc and it weights about 850 pounds. You definitely know it's back there even on a DK45s with loaded tires!!

/ CK 25 & King Kutter 6 1/2' Box Frame Disc? #8  
i have the 6 1/2 foot box frame king kutter disc and the DK45S tractor and with the gangs angled hard you will definitely know its back there. The first time i used it was in my mom's garden. Backed in, dropped the disc in two wheel drive and took off forward. The tractor pulled it about far enough to sink the blade in and it spun me out, so i had to disc the garden in 4 wheel drive. This disc pulls like a lead weight.