adjustment?

/ adjustment? #1  

Limecuda

Silver Member
I have a ck30hst with right at 30 hours. I finally had a crew finish putting in a pond and it is now time to play. I have noticed on occassion my tractor will not move when trying to push or pull a load. Yesterday I put my tractor in low, 4x4, at 2500rpm and tried to push a few small stumps (8"-10" diameter)up into the pile. These stumps/trunks can't weigh more than a couple hundred pounds tops and they were already removed by trackhoe so they are not still buried. At any rate I was on fresh not even packed dirt and it just wouldn't spin a tire. I have R4s as well.

/ adjustment? #2  
Not sure what the problem is but I can assure you that is not normal performance. You sure you were in Low range? That sort of thing happens to me occasionally when I forget to shift back to Low. Are the rest of your hydraulics operating normally? Did you check hydraulic oil level?

/ adjustment?
It definitely was in low and I didn't just mash the pedal to the floor, I was creeping trying to ensure safety. Now that you mentioned it I was also moving the loader and thought I noticed the loader seeming a little weaker. I have had the drive thing happen before but the levels looks ok. Reliefs kicking in too soon?

/ adjustment? #4  
My new CK20 had barely enough power in high range to move on level ground so I just didn't use it. After 30-40 hours I tried it again and I can run up slight grades with a full loader in high. Maybe they need to be broken in before the HST works properly. In low range it will spin the tires if I push it hard into a pile of gravel.

Frank

/ adjustment? #5  
I remember other past posts where some just didn't have the power to push or pull but not as bad as yours. I believe it was their relief valve. Apparently it's not to hard to adjust, you just have to know where it is and I can't help you there. My CK30hst has worked like a strong mule from the start. I was doing some work last week for a neighbor. With diff lock and 4WD, mine will spin all the tires, R4, on dirt in low range. I had to do some work with the tires on pavement and I was able to stall the engine at around 2200 rpm. That's with the loader and bh on which gives it a good bit of extra weight. I think one person posted getting the pump replaced or the hst drive. I'd contact your dealer because it should be much better than that.

/ adjustment? #6  
I have been very impressed with the parking brakes ability to make me think that the HST system is failing. Everybody does it once, at least once. The brake is very effective if set firmly.

/ adjustment? #7  
Highbeam said:
I have been very impressed with the parking brakes ability to make me think that the HST system is failing. Everybody does it once, at least once. The brake is very effective if set firmly.

Hah, maybe on a wimpy CK30 the parking brake does that but I can assure you that a CK20, in low, can work for 5-10 minutes before the dumba$$ operator figures out the brake is still on.:eek: In high range a loose peanut under a tire will slow it down but in low the beast moves.

/ adjustment? #8  
I do a lot of trailering and after chaining the CK in place I reset the parking brake very firmly. Much more firmly than the usual application in the field to simply prevent creeping. The very firm brake application coupled with my very light application of the low range HST pedal causes a weird noise, no motion, and a couple of swear words. Unloading from the trailer is a pretty tense time for me as it is.

In the field I have certainly done a bit of mowing with the brake on. I would say dumba$$ but then everyone does it so I think it is just to be expected. In the field I grin about it, on the trailer I am too tense to grin.

/ adjustment? #9  
Darn I love my CK20 gear. Nothing slows this puppy down but my sore knee! Even in high range, 1st gear she will spin the tires digging the loader into a pile of gravel, even with the backhoe on.

/ adjustment?
The best way to describe it is like being in high and trying to do a task. It definitely doesn't do it that often but something is off i believe. I guess I will check with the dealer at the 50 hour service.