my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms??

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #1  

harry trattner

Bronze Member
Hi everyone I just bought a ck20hst fel/box scraper ,today was my frist time to use it ,I have owned in the past a yanmar 1610d/fel/box (shuddle shift ) so I was looking forward to the no shift ,well I box scraped the arena and took the advised that was posted to use only low range while doing work and high range is for transit,anyway I also read about how to allow the hst to work and dont floor it ,if it bloges down let off on the pedal also while you are turning to.Now as I started to box scrape the horses stalls the tractors rpm would go down (from my working range 2300 down to 500 then stall out sometimes this would happen with my implements up so I would lower them and my rpms would go up or just stall out.Also if I was going on a ever so slight grade the tractors rpms would drop and at the same time I would take my foot off the pedal and the rpms would go up and down the up and down and then stall out (almost as if there was a fuel promblem )Look I hope I explained myself to which someone out there can help me . summary check list 1).all work and probelms occured in low range 2) any sharp turns and heavy work I let off on the pedal so that the hst can work correctly ,3). flat land ,slight grade ,with or without workload this probelm occured.4.) when the rpms droped I let off on the pedal and sometime it worked other times the rpms fluxuated up/down then just stalled out.sometime if my hydralics were in use (bucket up alittle or the box up alittle I would lower them and that may stop the rpms from dipping.Please help!!! Harry ps the problem started after about 1 hour into the use.

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #2  
Sounds like a call to the Dealer is in order.

From your post, it sounds like the tractor worked fine for the first hour.

The tractor should not just stall out while driving around.

Jim

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #3  
Sounds like you have a relief valve problem or something. I have a steep grade on most of my property and the only time my machine will stall is when I operate it with a lower RPM. I have had my loader bucket maxed out ( extra wieght) driving up the hill with no problems in low. Now in high range I can't even make it up my driveway without the tractor stalling. I would say call the dealer and have them look at it!

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms??
was it the relief valve ? did that fix your problem ?

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #5  
You could check into the dealer obviously... are you lacking power??
Sounds like you could need a CK25 or 30.
However many have expressed satisfaction with their 20's.

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #6  
Do you have the parking brake off??

yes,brake is off

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #8  
Kinda bummer you wait for your new rig and it isnt right...we'll see what dealer says?!

tomorrow the dealer and I will play with the tractor,hope it does it in front of the dealer (just my luck it will work just fine ,you know like at a car dealer!!!:eek:

/ my new ck 20 hst loses power /rpms?? #10  
Harry-

This is why the 4 year warranty is nice and a good dealer is important. Hopefully it can be resolved and quickly so you can enjoy the machine as it should do better than you describe.

I had a geyser of HST oil coming out at a rate of quarts per minute at a high enough stream to get all over the dashboard and mower deck at like 20 hours. My dealer isolated it to a clogged HST vent and took care of me -- only $75 for transport costs Kioti doesn't cover and it wasn't even a warranty issue -- the vent was sealed by a mud wasp who made the vent it's home and my HST resevoir (tranny) was pressurizing and it would relieve itself by forcing out the HST dipstick in a geyser as strong as old faithful. No problems w/ the machine and I'm at 100 hours now and amazed at the work the machine has done for me.

I have a CK-20 with loaded tires, a 350 lb mid-mount mower, KL-120 loader w/ torque tube re-inforcement, add me at a hefty 275 lbs, plus I can take my kid for a ride (about 45 lbs) plus tools in the bucket (probably another 200 lbs) down to my buddy's house and back up a rather steep hill.

On the return trip in low range I can liberally use the pedal w/o the engine noticing really -- very confident no bogging or anything. In high range I can gradually push the pedal down to get rolling and just keep applying pressure and she will get up to just under top speed and I hold the pedal at the "540 PTO RPM" mark on the tach (just under 3000) and I can zip on home. Top speed is 9 mph and I'm probably doing 8 or 8.5 mph. If I push the pedal all the way before hitting the hill top, she'll drop RPMS and bogg. The technique I use is to watch the tach for RPM dropoff before you can hear it and just back the pedal a bit until the RPMS hold or go the other way. It takes some getting used to, but you'll be an expert pretty quick once you're confident your machine has no issues. I just keep it at top RPMS by adjusting on the pedal. If I had to go up a 3 mile hill, I would use the cruise control w/ pedal 3/4 of the way down in high range after getting it up to speed by applying gradually.

I hope your issues get solved quickly. I think there is definately something not right.

Perhaps try the 2x4 or 4x4 test. Put piece of wood on the ground, try to back the tractor over it in low range and high range and also drive forward over it in low and high and see if it can be done at say 2500 rpms.

Best of luck.