Connecting Log splitter to Remotes

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #1  

Piney Woods Rooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 585-DI & Kioti DK55C w/upgraded 1595 FEL
Been away from the site for awhile - looks like I missed some action!

I'm planning on buying one of the Speeco, 3 pt. hitch; log splitters sold at Tractor Supply and have several questions for you. The splitter is sold without hoses (the hose connections to the splitter valve are included) and will connect to my DK55C.

What size hose do I buy?

What size and type (Parker/Pioneer?) male quick-connects for the hoses fit this tractor and are they a common type? (Will they fit other brands of tractors?)

Are hydraulic hoses generally available from tractor dealers or do you recommend getting them made-up online? If online, what's a good source?

What is the approximate cost for a set of hoses?

And finally; where is the valve for the remotes located on this tractor? I've never used the remotes, don't recall ever seeing the valve and I'm currently at work and can't look at the tractor or the manual.

Is there anything else I need to know to connect this splitter to the tractor?

Thanks for your help, PWR

PS Any comments on my choice of splitter will be appreciated!

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #2  
Not much of an answer, sorry, but just wanted to comment that I look at log splitters for tractors and then I look at log splitters with their own engines and there's not much price difference!

Mike

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #3  
I happen to own both types of splitters - 3PH connected to remotes and a stand alone unit. The 3PH is a good unit made by Danuser and works ok, but the stand alone unit is an old Lickity Log Splitter which is faster, easier to use, and is powered by a 7hp Kohler engine. The 3PH model is just a back up unit that lays in the garage. It just never made sense (to me) to run a 30hp tractor when 7hp will do it faster and more economically. I suppose it all depends on how much wood you intend to split. The 3PH is smaller, easier to store and doesn't need a separate power source, so I guess that's a plus. For a few cords a year, the 3PH would work ok I guess. Weigh it out and make your choice - I'm just throwing out my opinion which can be used as you see fit.

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #4  
Piney Woods Rooter said:
Been away from the site for awhile - looks like I missed some action!

I'm planning on buying one of the Speeco, 3 pt. hitch; log splitters sold at Tractor Supply and have several questions for you. The splitter is sold without hoses (the hose connections to the splitter valve are included) and will connect to my DK55C.

What size hose do I buy?

What size and type (Parker/Pioneer?) male quick-connects for the hoses fit this tractor and are they a common type? (Will they fit other brands of tractors?)

Are hydraulic hoses generally available from tractor dealers or do you recommend getting them made-up online? If online, what's a good source?

What is the approximate cost for a set of hoses?

And finally; where is the valve for the remotes located on this tractor? I've never used the remotes, don't recall ever seeing the valve and I'm currently at work and can't look at the tractor or the manual.

Is there anything else I need to know to connect this splitter to the tractor?

Thanks for your help, PWR

PS Any comments on my choice of splitter will be appreciated!

Your tractor will have 2 sets of remotes on it from the factory, they are located standing at the back of the tractor looking forward they will be the 4 female ports to the left of your top link.
To operate them there is 2 levers setting in the driver set facing forward the levers will be located to the right they have little round balls at the top of them they are right next to your hand throttle, they will also have the letters A-B C-D in order for the hydraulic flow to work the lever must be locked into the detent buy pushing the lever all the way untill it stops let go of it and it should stay in that position befor you do this you must have the hose hooked to the same ports on the back of the tractor.
(caution engaging the aux remote lever with no hose hooked to your remotes Will dead head the hydraulics and cause damage to you tractor!)
I recommend you reading your owners manual.
If your log splitter does not come with the hydraulic hoses, get 1/2 hoses made you will need a 1/2 NPT end for the tractor, that will allow you to screw on a 1/2 pioneer male coupler ( part#8010-4PMB)
I have sold a couple 3 pt splitters this year and you should be able to get the complete set up for around $1,500.00 or less.
If you are still not sure just give me a call and I will walk you through it.;)

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes
wallace said:
....you should be able to get the complete set up for around $1,500.00 or less.
:eek:...How much for just the hoses?

Thanks for the info and the offer to help me out, Rick. I will check the manual before connecting and operating the splitter. I've gone over the manual so many times it's falling apart - just don't have access to it or the tractor right now.

The 3PH splitter w/out hoses is around $650 and the equivalent stand-alone splitters run around $1,000. The more the hoses cost, the better the stand-alone units look. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #6  
2 1/2" 5 foot hoses with 4 1/2 NPT crimp on ends and 2 1/2 male pioneer ends $71.00 plus shipping.
Or you can have any local shop make them up for you.
Make sure you know what size fitting the log splitter comes with I am just using 1/2 because that is what my brands use.
Also try to stick with the 1/2" hose it will allow more flow for a faster cycle time.
Rick:D

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #7  
   / Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #8  
I considered the 3ph splitter for my tractor but after using a stand alone for several chord of wood, I am no longer considering it. The reason is that during wood cutting & splitting I use the tractor for other things. I have forks for my loader that are very handy to handle the logs making them easy to saw with the chainsaw. Then when splitting I put a pallet on the forks an position it alongside the splitter and load it as I split to take to the wood pile behind my shop. All this would not be as convenient with the splitter on the 3ph.

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes #9  
I have a Kelley 24 inch 3pt log splitter And It works well on My Dk 35 It will split anything you put on it !!
Having a 3 pt hitch spliter works good for big pices of wood,you can lower the spliter down to the ground and put the pice of wood on it,instead of picking up the big pice of wood.
Also works good if you need to go out in to the woods and split.
You can split the wood,turn around and load it in to the bucket and go!
3pt spliter's also have like no maintance to them.
I burn about 10 cords of wood a year,I used about 10 gals of diesel to split all that wood.
A regular spliter would probly use that much if not more gas.
IT's all about what you want,I just wanted to let you all know how much I like my 3pt woood spliter.
matt

/ Connecting Log splitter to Remotes
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. After reconsidering the options; I think I'll buy a stand alone splitter and have the tractor available for moving logs, split wood etc.

PWR