Rear remotes on my DK45s

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s #1  

buyerjohn

Silver Member
Tractor
DK45s with cab
I'm a new owner and I'm pretty much in the dark about this subject but I want to change that! I need to buy a grapple. I know that I need another hydro circuit to power the open and close feature of the grapple and that most people bring that additional circuit to the front of the tractor from the back (and disengage the backhoe to do so). So far so good.

I have one pair of hydro lines run from the back to the front of the tractor already but this is where I'm confused. There is no switch that controls the flow of those 2 lines. What purpose could running these 2 lines to the front of the tractor serve?

If I unplug the backhoe from the rear hydro circuit and replace that connection with this pair of lines, I will then have hydro fluid pumping to the front of the tractor but no way to reverse the flow to open and close the grapple...or am I missing something here? Is there another way to reverse the flow without installing additional hardware? What hardware should be installed while keeping it simple?

thanks, John.

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s #2  
I don't know how it is on the DK45 but my CK20 has a lever on the loader lever side of the tractor mounted right in the fender that is listed A-N-B. When the lever is in A the hydraulic flow is one way (which is the setting for the backhoe), N is nuetral with no flow and B is reverse flow from A. If I hook up a hydraulic top link or grapple, then this is the lever I would use to control it.

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s
I have the same lever...I thought if I tried the lever in the "b" position that the backhoe levers would work in the opposite direction but that's not the case...can anybody else confirm that moving the lever from one position to the other will open and close the grapple? Is this a safe way to operate the grapple?

thanks, John.

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s #4  
The reason why the backhoe won't work when you move the lever to the other position is because the backhoe has an in and out flow when you move the lever to the other position you are trying to feed the flow of hydraulics backwards and the check valves will not allow it.

For you to run the grapple it is no problem because there are no check valves in it.
The hydraulic fluid will flow either way .

thanks Rick...is there any potential harm I can do using that lever to operate the grapple? it seems that its designed more for intermittent flow switching vs a more continual use that a grapple will see...your thoughts?

thanks, John.

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s #6  
Do you have one set of remotes or two? On my DK40se I have two. Either could be used to run a rear remote controlled grapple but the second remote, the optional one, has a slightly different controller. The second remote controller does not have "click stops" to hold it in the open position. It is spring loaded so it only flows when you press it. I would tend to use that one to control a grapple if you have it as it gives a bit more precise control. If you don't have the extra remote don't worry, the standard remote can also be used you just need to be a bit more careful not to lock it in open or closed position. One thing you should not do is to leave the hydraulic control "locked" in either position for more than a few seconds as I believe that could eventually hurt the hydraulic pump. Opening and closing the grapple takes only a few seconds. It is not something to be concerned about in normal use just don't drive around with the hydraulic controller in anything other than neutral position for long periods. It is not an issue when you have a BH attached to the remote, only when you are using a single cylinder such as with the grapple or when there is nothing attached to the remotes. You might want to double check this point with Rick as he is the one who red me the riot act about that point.

I have one set of remotes currently used by the backhoe (one line in, one line out)...

/ Rear remotes on my DK45s #8  
You will do no harm.
It just becomes a pain in the butt when it locks into the detent, you will get use to just moving the lever a little bit to keep from it going into the detent.