Ballast Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK?

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I'd like to put some extra ballast on the front of my DK40se. Unfortunately Kioti doesn't offer any suitcase weights or more importantly a bracket for suitcase weights. Has anyone adapted another brand's system to fit a DK? Kubota makes a front mounted system that attaches to the GL brush guard. I haven't had a chance to check the relative tube diameters but was hoping that it might fit the DK or be easily adapted.

Anyone with other ideas?

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #2  
Kioti does offer suitcase weights for the DK40 part# 322101 and the mount part#322140
However I have not seen any front suitcase weights that will work with a loader.
I will check with Kioti and see if these will on this machine.

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK?
Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find them on the website. I'll have to check the clearance. I eyeballed it and thought weights would fit but maybe I am underestimating how deep the weights/bracket are.

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #4  
IslandTractor said:
I'd like to put some extra ballast on the front of my DK40se. Unfortunately Kioti doesn't offer any suitcase weights or more importantly a bracket for suitcase weights. Has anyone adapted another brand's system to fit a DK? Kubota makes a front mounted system that attaches to the GL brush guard. I haven't had a chance to check the relative tube diameters but was hoping that it might fit the DK or be easily adapted.

Anyone with other ideas?

Carry a log around in the grapple?:D

Mike058 said:
Carry a log around in the grapple?:D

Not a bad idea. I need the front weight mostly for two reasons, first when I have the backhoe attached the front is light and second when I am in low gear using the grapple to uproot bushes as I dig big divots as all four tires spin. The log idea would work for the backhoe but wouldn't be much help when I am actually using the grapple. However, even when I use the backhoe it is to dig stumps so I need to use the grapple to move them periodically. I suppose I could make it work if I don't forget where I left the log. I'll try it if I don't find an orange solution. ;)

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #6  
The log in the grapple would be easy to implement and cheap-but suitcase weights would be more efficient and cleaner albeit a bit more of a chore to put on and off.

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #7  
I am having that same problem with my new ck20s. I was thinking of looking into getting the front tiers filled, but I don't know how much weight they can put in each tier.

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #8  
natem said:
I am having that same problem with my new ck20s. I was thinking of looking into getting the front tiers filled, but I don't know how much weight they can put in each tire.

You could get the fronts "Foam Filled" I believe that would add some weight.

Jim

natem said:
I am having that same problem with my new ck20s. I was thinking of looking into getting the front tiers filled, but I don't know how much weight they can put in each tier.

Check the front tire size (Kioti website) then check the Goodyear website for recommended number of gallons of liquid ballast(75% of total capacity). Multiply times about 8lbs/gallon and that will give you the added weight per tire. As I recall on the CK20 you can add something close to 15gallons/tire (my recall, I haven't checked) which would give you about 125lbs/tire with windshield washer fluid. More weight if you use CaCl or RimGuard.

/ Anyone have suitcase weights on a DK? #10  
I have not had a chance to look into how much weight could be added to each tire, but if your figures are right that would be well worth it. I think 250 total pounds would keep the front on the ground.