Lime Question

/ Lime Question #1  

Evidence8489

I am having a ton of lime per acre delivered and spread tomorrow which is what the county ag center said my soil needed,, my question is, should I rake this lime into the soil before I broadcast spread my winter rye. Or should I let it sit and hope for a passing shower to wet it in.

/ Lime Question #2  
I have never worked it in, maybe I should. By the way where are you located and what does it cost per ton?

/ Lime Question #3  
I would definitely work it in. That surface lime won't get along well with surface seeds.

/ Lime Question
im in north florida,, and the price is 30.00 per ton with a 150.00 delivery and spread charge per load

/ Lime Question #5  
Evidence8489 said:
im in north florida,, and the price is 30.00 per ton with a 150.00 delivery and spread charge per load

Thats gotta hurt!! I just had 80 acres done about 60 days ago. Cost total including delivery and spreading $23.00 a ton, put down 1 ton to the acre.

/ Lime Question #6  
Now I've got a dumb question, how do you work the lime into the soil? Evidence, you mentioned raking, I assume you don't mean by hand. I've got 13 acres that I think I'm going to need to put some lime down on soon (waiting for results back from soil test to see how much), and I figured I would just have it put on before a rain and let it soak in. Anybody have any other suggestions?

This will be on a standing Coastal Bermuda pasture.

Thanks,

Chet.

/ Lime Question #7  
Chet, as I stated earlier, I have never worked it in. I believe they are talking about surface seed and surface lime. With exsisting bermuda grass the need to work it in, well, I just don't see any problems. Although I have not used a spreader, I use a drill to seed wheat and grass for winter pasture, so my seed is not "surface", I quess I just have not experienced a problem with lime and grass or seeds.

/ Lime Question #8  
Only 1 ton per acre isn't much at all and to be honest I would not even worry about trying to mix it in. If you were talking 6 ton then I could see running a disc over tilled ground to incorporate the lime into the soil some but with one ton you will be lucky to see the dust on the ground. Let nature do the work for you on this one.

/ Lime Question #9  
Robert, do you use lime in your area? Our soil test called for one ton to the acre, this should do us for 3 or so years.

/ Lime Question #10  
Yes, we use lime here as it is needed. The biggest thing is to do soil test every few years to see what your ground is doing.