slower in reverse?

/ slower in reverse? #1  

300wtby

Bronze Member
Tractor
kioti ck25
my ck 25 hst seems to be going slower in reverse than i remember it,definitly slower than fwd, have close to 100 hours on it now anyone experience this before?

ive checked for obstructions under the rear of the peddle,but found nothing that stops it from traveling its full range.....chris

/ slower in reverse? #2  
The treddle is easily bent. I had somehow bent mine so that when I put the pedal to the metal in reverse, I wasn't actually getting full reverse and it was slower. I didn't even realize it until the dealer's mechanic "fixed" it for me by just bully bending it back the right way. Then it felt really fast. Compare yours to a new treddle and I think you will see the that the originally U shaped pedal has flattened.

It appears that the mechanism will hit full reverse before the treddle bottoms out on the floor board.

/ slower in reverse? #3  
Jeez Highbeam how'd you bend that steel treddle on its pivot, put a press on both sides? I've mistakenly put my 220lbs of weight on both ends of it at once and no problemo....

then again you've had your tractors in some odd places, how'd it happen?

/ slower in reverse? #4  
I don't know how it happened. I didn't even now that it happened until the mechanic bent it back, he said it happens alot.

It looked more like the treddle itself got flatter so it bent in the flat part.

I'm a light weight at 150 or so and I stay sitting while operating so it wasn't like I jumped on it.

I wonder if a guy got enough branch debris stuck under the treddle up near the pivot if the leverage would be enough to bend it. I know that I have had branch debris up under the pedal. I bet that was it.

/ slower in reverse? #5  
On my CK20 HST there is a sticker that shows the max speed in high and low gear for forward and reverse. If I remember correctly, it was 11 mph max in high gear forward and 9 mph in high gear reverse. It is most likely "geared" lower for more pulling power. I know that while pulling stumps out of a hole, dragging a tree out of the woods or even going up a steep incline it is much easier in reverse than forward. It definitely acts like reverse is a lower "gear" than forward. I use quotations around gear because it's HST and infinitely variable. It is probably just valved to run lower speeds in reverse than forward...

/ slower in reverse? #6  
If it ever starts running slower in reverse that's the first place I'll check then, thanks for the easy-fix info. *walk out to the shop*...I peeled back the rubber on that treddle to measure the steel bar, it's 1/4" x 5/8" on the '07 CK30... it (ought) to be strong enough but if it does flatten out then another piece of flat bar will get attached to it.

...it was 11 mph max in high gear forward and 9 mph in high gear reverse. It is most likely "geared" lower for more pulling power. I know that while pulling stumps out of a hole, dragging a tree out of the woods or even going up a steep incline it is much easier in reverse than forward. It definitely acts like reverse is a lower "gear" than forward...
Same here with the HST, it seems stronger skidding in reverse though i haven't actually tested it dragging the same weight...

*walk back out to shop*

Good call Dmace! Lower HST gearing in reverse must be the answer cuz the shop manual says:

CK25 HST forward 0-12.39mph, Reverse 0-8.26mph
CK30 HST forward 0-13.11mph, Reverse 0-8.69mph​

That also means that HST will always be slower in R than F

/ slower in reverse? #7  
My CK-25 HST is also slower in reverse and that corresponds to the sticker on the rear left fender. It isn't slower gearing however because the gears never change. They have limited the amount of tilt that the rear of the pedal can put onto the tilt block (or swash plate) of the hydraulic pump. That means the the pump can't pump as great a volume (slower rotation speed) to the fixed plate B end that drives the gear train.

/ slower in reverse? #8  
*another walk to the shop sheesh* :)

My pedal travels downwards 4-1/2" in forward, 2-1/4" in reverse so that certainly makes sense too and goes along with Kioti specs for lower travel speed in reverse. The HST gives more torque at lower speeds in either direction.

So has anyone seen real live actual HP/Torque measurements on the forward VS the reverse gearing?

In vehicles, the pre-CVT xmsns used the same 1st gear band for forward and reverse, i suppose that CVT is similar, so does it follow that these HST tractors use the same gearing for forward and reverse?

/ slower in reverse? #9  
"My pedal travels downwards 4-1/2" in forward, 2-1/4" in reverse "

So when the pedal has reached its limits of travel, has the pedal bottomed out on the floorboard or is it limited by the travel in the operating shaft?

/ slower in reverse?
Highbeam said:
The treddle is easily bent. I had somehow bent mine so that when I put the pedal to the metal in reverse, I wasn't actually getting full reverse and it was slower. I didn't even realize it until the dealer's mechanic "fixed" it for me by just bully bending it back the right way. Then it felt really fast. Compare yours to a new treddle and I think you will see the that the originally U shaped pedal has flattened.

thanks highbeem and all, ive been out of town for a couple of days, that is why i have not replied to this post.

i do understand that the tractor is slower in reverse, but i noticed that it seemed slower than normal the other day when i was cleaning out my ditch of all the debri left by the wind storm.

i think that highbeem might be onto something here,

maybe RexB the extra 45lbs i'm packing more than you might have been enough to bend it.:eek: might be time to start dieting.:(

i always try not to step on the peddle when getting on and off but you never know,could have happened after a few to many yard beers:D

at any rate thanks for the info and i'll tell you what i find tomorrow...chris