Remote throttle control?

/ Remote throttle control? #1  

cgraham

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
I'd like to be able to operate the LB1014 throttle from the backhoe seat.

Has anyone found a way of doing this?

About all I can think of is clamping a rod to the throttle control at the dash: problem is, it would block entry (or hasty exit) from one side of the tractor and hoe.

I think a foot control might be nicer, given both hands occupied with the hoe controls. It would enable a below-floorboard coupling to the forward foot control, perhaps.

Reasons for wanting the mod:
1) the backhoe swings wildly from side-to-side at full throttle
2) there are times when I just need to stop for a while and consider the next step

Anyone agree the mod would be worthwhile?

Unfortunately, I have very limited resources for fabbing a
good mechanical linkage, but all suggestions appreciated.

C

/ Remote throttle control? #2  
Run a cable up to the throttle on the motor. Make it's own hole so that either will give it throttle. Shouldn't be too bad.

BTI

/ Remote throttle control?
Thanks, BTI, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean a sheathed cable like a bicycle brake cable?

I'll have to look at the throttle actuator more carefully to see what "make you own hole" means.

What would you use as a control? I'm having second thoughts about a foot pedal, because there is no good place to install it on my small deck. I'm thinking a push-pull throttle control that holds its position as a result of friction might be best - If I can find one.

By the way, the tractor is a Kioti LB1914 (typo in original post)

/ Remote throttle control? #4  
cgraham said:
I'm thinking a push-pull throttle control that holds its position as a result of friction might be best - If I can find one.
A push-pull cable should be easy to get.
Our local Napa carrys heavy duty push-pull cables. You turn a knob on the cable to lock it in position, turn it back to unlock.

/ Remote throttle control? #5  
cgraham said:
I'll have to look at the throttle actuator more carefully to see what "make you own hole" means.
I believe he is saying drill a new hole on the throttle lever at the motor/fuel pump for the cable to attach.

/ Remote throttle control?
Thanks, Vince: very helpful 2x

C

/ Remote throttle control? #7  
Sounds like a good idea. Like DK says get one of those heavy duty throttle cables with the twist lock. Should be pretty straight forward, just might have to do a little searching to find one long enough. You could mount it on the cowling behind the seat, between the rear fenders. That way it's on the tractor, not the attachment for times when you may want to remove the BH you won't have to mess with the Aux throttle cable.

/ Remote throttle control? #8  
Just keep in mind that your new throttle will have to move freely when operating from the stock throttle controls. So, I think you would have to remember not to lock it into place.... or eventually it will remind you all by itself.

/ Remote throttle control? #9  
Thanks Vince that's exactly what I was meaning.
What I say and what I mean don't always match LOL.

Which ever cable has the most friction will have precedence over the other means of throttling.
Just make sure you always return your "remote" throttle back to idle and you'll be fine. The way to do it is make the hole sloppy for the cable to go thru on the throttle plate (on motor).
Then put a cable stop on the opposite side.
This is the way the factory does it, foot and hand throttle.
Any of the throttle ups will work this way.
As long as all are returned to idle, they will all work to add throttle.
I sure hope that makes sense.....
Sometimes I even confuse myself.........

BTI

/ Remote throttle control? #10  
What about a solinoid spring return, possibly one used for a choke actuator from a older vehicle, this way to idle up throw a switch, it is easier to remotly have a switch than a cable, you could put the switch as a foot switch, old headlight dimmer switch on the footboards, use a trailer plug by the rear remotes to disconnect, make a magnet mount and it can be mounted anywhere, thise cable jobs get quite stiff the longer they get,

just a idea