Engine Temp gauge stopped working

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working #1  

RexB

Gold Member
Tractor
CK30HST TLB, JD 350 'dozer
(I copied these posts from another thread, to separate my two questions)

My engine temperature sensor gauge on the dash has stopped registering engine heat. The connection is tight from the thermostat housing, so is there another place to look to fix it?

virgil said:
your temperture sender / sensor for the guage is on the right / rear of the engine in the head.. it is vertical, close to the injector. a tight spot for big hands...

the sensor / sendor you spoke about at the thermostat goes to the timmer /relay circut for the glo-plugs. I learned this the hard way.. had a coustomer that the glow plugs would not work. relays, timers, switches and harnes was OK... it took me several hours to see it it was not plugged in at the thermostat !

RexB said:
Thanks for the info on the engine coolant temp sensor...all my underhood connectors are plugged in. I was trying to avoid pulling the dash off to check if the connector on the guage has come loose. Have you worked on that too, or the glo-plug circuit only, if I was reading that right.

virgil said:
please look closely at the wires (a big heavy glow, and a little temp) at the right rear of the head. There is a "bracket / eye" back there that the factory used to set the engine with. it is bolt on -12 mm if I remember right. I had one ck that the temp wire and glo plug wire was pinched against the firewall by this bracket. It took about 100 hrs of use before the wire shorted out.

If the wires look ok, then blame it on the temp sensor...part # E5205-32832.

I have had a few units with rat damage under the dash. it is real easy to remove the dash for an inspection. 10 mm deep set socket is all you will need.
hope this helps

Yes it is helping I'm just slow to pick it up. On this '07 CK30HST, I'm looking at the right/rear engine head (looking from the drivers' seat) where the cluster of wiring and fuel lines is. (Not the exhaust collector tube side where I do see an engine hoist bracket but no wires are around it.) I'll have to look harder because I don't see the thick glow plug wire or the real coolant sensor wire going to the dash gauge. Could you point out in this picture which it is? If I'm even in the right location, it's a maze.

click 'n zoom

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working #2  
you sir are getting warm... for me to remove the temp sender and or the bracket the lifts the engine..... I have to remove the fuell filter bracket, and it is still a tight fight. this temp sender / glo wire / bracket will be on the right rear of the head.... kinda under the fuel tank.... it is way on back there next to #3 injector... I will try to post a picture.

I did that a few times last year (post a picture) but I slept real good last night!

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working #3  
I sent you a private message... I have a picture but i have forgotten how to go threw photo bucket, resize, post and all that jazz.

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working
Thanks Virgil, I pm'd you my addee

I rec'd the picture Virgil thanks. I see why you had to remove the fuel filter housing, etc, to get to it behind the fuel lines and everything under that "shelf" in the firewall. That is a hellish place to try and work. Fortunately, I guess, my Engine Temp Sensor Wire is not pinched between the firewall and engine hoist bracket. So it must be down to a broken gauge, glad it's under warranty :)

Here's a post of the picture:

I installed a new temperature gauge in the dash, under warranty. It still doesn't register engine heat so the temp sender on top of the engine is the culprit and has to be replaced. The dealer was fast and sent the whole instrument cluster, it's a unit.

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working #7  
Keep the dash clusters. Mine has allowed a ton of dust and chaffe to enter betweeen the clear plastic lense and the gauge faces. Water vapor on occasion too.

/ Engine Temp gauge stopped working #8  
My CK30 temp gage does the "work-no-work" thing every now and then, all I do is wiggle the wires at the connector (circled in pic) and it reads right! Try it when you know it is warm with the key on.

Attachments

• Kioti_WiringEngineCoolantSensorw-1.jpg
    Kioti_WiringEngineCoolantSensorw-1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,188
I'd love to keep the whole cluster, but the dealer would get po'd when (if) I haul the tractor 100 miles to also have them replace the Temp Sender unit to fix the problem. The sender is under the fuel tank and it looks like either the engine has to be pulled or the fuel filter and injector lines removed to get to it. He already wanted me to send the rest of the cluster panel back if the new temperature gauge fixed it. :(

Thanks for the picture of the temp sender connection, I'll try it :~)