Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    DK40

Default cold weather starting

Hi,I have a dk40 and have a little trouble starting in the infrequent cold weather here in Oregon. but am looking at moving to Maine and was wondering if anyone could recomend a good block heater or somthing to help get started on cold days. Jack

Veteran Member

Default Re: cold weather starting

What sort of problems are you having starting? I have a CK30 here in Maine, yesterday morning it was 5dF, I turned the key to the ON position until the glow plug light went out, turned key to glow plug on position for another 10 seconds, turned the key to start... started right up no issues. My dealer installed a heater in the lower radiator hose, have not had the need to use it.
    Jim

- '01 Husqvarna W4814- 48" walk behind lawn mower.
    - '04 John Deere Z-Trac 727A- 54" ZTR
    - '13 Kioti DK40 HST - KL401 loader, DK40 72" QA bucket, LK3054 60" QA bucket, toothbar for 60" bucket, dual rear remotes, 7ft 6 way rear blade, 78" ETA Box Blade, Woods BH-90x backhoe, loaded rear tires, Kioti Canopy.

Platinum Member
    The real central PA everything else is philly or pittsburgh
    Tractor
    DK45 SE HST

FYI mine is in my pole building, which never gets below about 40 degrees, and it has a hard time starting in that temperature.

When I say hard time, I should clarfiy and says that it knocks like crazy, and emits smoke. Doesn't do that when its 80 out.

Still love the tractor though, I use the method described by IXLR8 to start it.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

A tech at my dealer showed me a trick where you turn the key to the preheat position right after it starts, and it seems to smoothe it out quite a bit when I start my tractor cold.
    Kioti CK20 HST, KB 120 Loader
    Woods BH70X Backhoe with thumb
    Landpride 54" Box Scraper
    Howse 60" rake
    Howse 42" rotary cutter (I know, it's too small)
    2005 Chevy 2500HD with Maxi-dump insert
    16' Bulldog equipment trailer

Just install a block heater or inline heater and use it. Rough starting troubles will be over and it's easier on the gear.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

I started my CK25 today for the first time in about a month. It's been pretty cold here too. Today, it was about 30 F when I started it. Gave it a little throttle, waited on the glow plugs light to go out, turned on started..... started right up. About 2 seconds of smoke and then starting purring like a kioti Kitten. No hesitation or slow crank. Turned right over. I would think something is not quite right there.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

You say you "have a little trouble starting" but don't mention exactly what the problem is. If the engine catches and just has a real rough time idling or stalls, then use the glow plugs again after it starts. When it drops below 20F or so, I do this; I put the throttle to about 1/4 and turn the key and wait for the glow plug light to go out and then crank it. As soon as it catches and starts, I release the key to the "on" position and then turn it to the glow plug position again and hold it there until the idle is smoother (usually 2 or 3 seconds). Since the engine is running, this is not draining your battery at all as it would if you just cycled the glow plugs twice before starting.

If the problem is that it doesn't catch, then either your fuel is slightly gelled, the fuel filter is clogged, your not given it enough throttle or your glow plugs are not working properly. A block heater really just heats the oil in the pan and makes cranking a ton easier since the oil is warm and thinner and a lower radiator hose heater works good at heating the coolant and circulating it by convection but I don't beleive either is necessary until well below 0f temps in these little engines. A full size diesel truck is another story.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    Tractor
    MAHINDRA

I alway recommend changing your fuel filter right before winter.
    Also make sure you treat your fuel with an additive.
    Their is a block heater available from tisco.
    Wallace Tractor and Equipment
    www.wallacetractorandequipment.com
    rwallacetractor@echoes.net
    RICK WALLACE

(570) 689-7494

We're not just a tractor store anymore!

Do not judge the performance of all diesel engines by the the performance of one!

If you do there may be a surprise or two in your future!
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti Ck30 Hst , John Deere L130

Ive never had to use my glow plugs more then once. I have a block heater as well and rarely use it. The engine starts up every time first try like the day i got it. Its 3 years old in March. My temps here in Ny are commonly in the single digits and below this time of year at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast